Author Topic: Target "Pit of Carkoon" Ultimate BP  (Read 46016 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Target "Pit of Carkoon" Ultimate BP
« Reply #120 on: December 4, 2008, 09:19 AM »
Yeah, I'll pick 'em up.  :-X

I think this pack will be useful though. I can display both skiffs and not have to move some of the figures from another display to fill 'em up.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #121 on: December 4, 2008, 06:06 PM »
I ended up picking this set up yesterday. I had initially passed but I decided really wanted the pit itself.

Like most everyone else I'm fairly mixed on the set. I really love the pit itself, and the small sand base that it has. The skiff (though small and out of scale) is nice to have since I didn't have one. If Hasbro ever updates it this one can always work as a smaller model.

The figures on the other hand are god awful. I think the Albino/Ghost Luke should be a candidate for worst repack of all time. Take a look at Jayson's comparison picture:

Lando looks like he is Hispanic. His skin is a good five-six shades lighter than it should be. I'm not sure why the chest armor is such a light grey and the pants are white either. I guess he will kind of work as a random skiff guard.

Han is all right I suppose. I'm not a huge fan of that headsculpt or the lack of articulation. The rubber bands on mine were so tight around his legs that they are squeezed together so tight that he can't stand up. A boil'n'freeze will fix it but I've noticed this seems to be happening to a lot of figures lately.

The 300th Fett needs to be retired... both the VOTC and Evolutions versions are much better. And The VOTC mold should have been free.

And why the hell hasn't Hasbro retired that damned weequay sculpt yet? It is about 11 years old now. There is no reason to keep releasing it. This figure is horribly outdated. At least they painted him a different color. His vibroaxe looks a like a limp, wet noodle. I'm really getting sick of the plastic Hasbro is using for weapons these days. ::)

I'm almost convince that the large sand "base" is really just part of the packaging and not part of the actual display. It seems odd that they would include two bases that are of such different quality and material. Not to mention that this one isn't even a part of the picture on the back of the box. If the big one were supposed to be a part of the set it seems like it should have been the same material as the small sand base, and there would have been no reason to include the small one. I saved it for now because I might still use it at some point. I think I'd probably repaint it, and might add real sand too.
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 4, 2008, 08:55 PM »
Couldn't agree with your review more Ryan.

Yeah that larger base seems to be just for packaging purposes, at least in my opinion.

Like you, I wanted to pass on this thing but I wanted the Sarlacc so badly that I was willing to fork over the money for it.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 5, 2008, 09:16 AM »
Wow, I didn't think they could really make already produced figures any cheeper. Another big negative about the price for this set.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #124 on: December 5, 2008, 09:38 AM »
Wow, I didn't think they could really make already produced figures any cheaper. Another big negative about the price for this set.

They really look like Hong Kong bootleg figures. I am shocked at how bad they really were, they mus have used that Indian Jones factory again. In the next Q&A we should rip Hasbro a new one for this. ****** figures choices, sub par manufacturing on them and a much higher price than last year UBP. While the Sarlacc is cool  and the only saving grace it does not stay attached to the plastic sand base very well. The engineering was a bit lazy. The connection points could have been a "L" shapes (like on a fire alarm) to fit in the Sarlacc more securely with a twist.

Thumbs down overall on this set. I am not seeing it around at all so I am glad I picked it up. If this goes on clearance I will buy it and return it with my original receipt.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 8, 2008, 10:52 AM »
Used the DCPI trick to get one of these from the back of our local Target (they only have the Joe sets out, and actually brought me one of those the first time).  It got wrapped up right away as a Christmas gift from the Mrs., but I'm happy to add it to the collection.  The Skiff and Sarlacc is what sold me, as the figures do look pretty craptastic - as has been mentioned here.  Oh, and it was at the $62.99 price, so it hadn't gone up - yet.  Still, $50 would have felt better for this set.  It seems like we're starting to get less for more.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #126 on: December 8, 2008, 12:01 PM »
I'd like the Sarlacc...  It gets pretty good marks.  I'm thinking because I've got a bit of extra casht his holiday I may treat myself to this if I see it, but I don't think I'm going to go DPCI'ing it to get it.  I'm still disappointed, and I know if I buy it I'm going to have buyer's remorse for all the junk in it I don't want. :(

Would anyone want the figs and skiff?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 8, 2008, 12:24 PM »
Would anyone want the figs and skiff?

For free? - j/k
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #128 on: December 8, 2008, 12:27 PM »
Eh, if I get many more skiffs I may have to. :P  Actually if you just need a skiff iFett, email me...  I've got my Target ones just collecting dust and I'm not fond of them.  If someone bought the skiff for a fair price from the UBP though, I'd consider tossing the figures in for free with it just to get SOMETHING back on the price of the set at this point.  I just want the damn Sarlacc. :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 8, 2008, 12:53 PM »
I was only joking Jesse.  I'm still on the fence on this set as well - even though it would stay imprisoned in its packaging.  I just still can't see $62.99 in that box.   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #130 on: December 8, 2008, 03:48 PM »
I went to three Targets this weekend and both UBP's are no where to be found. Just curious how it appears to be selling in other areas. Also it seems there was a mad rush on AT-TE's as several stores seem to have low stock.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #131 on: December 8, 2008, 05:42 PM »
One of the local Targets here got close to seeling out of both the other day and they quickly restocked and filled the shelves. The CW UBP seems to bee selling fast around here, though with two Army building vehichles and a handful of troops it's not hard to see why. The Sarlacc isn't really something people are going to but more than one of (short of the people who but two of everything.) I hope the set does well, but from what we've been seeing in this thread the old skiff and the **** figures seem to be holding a lot of people back, and rightfully so.
"This is the way."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 8, 2008, 05:54 PM »
One of the local Targets here got close to seeling out of both the other day and they quickly restocked and filled the shelves. The CW UBP seems to bee selling fast around here, though with two Army building vehichles and a handful of troops it's not hard to see why. The Sarlacc isn't really something people are going to but more than one of (short of the people who but two of everything.) I hope the set does well, but from what we've been seeing in this thread the old skiff and the **** figures seem to be holding a lot of people back, and rightfully so.

Old skiff and suck arse figures aside, it's the PRICE that is killing most of us.

If we break it down, the price should reflect something like this:
Old Skiff-$15
4 OLD figures-$3 each (and that's being liberal)-total of $12
Complete base (beak and removeable toothy area, plus Vag looking base)-$10
Grand total $37.

Honestly, that is in the price range of what most would tolerate. Make it an even $40 and I'd think there would still be people biting.

Having this as an exclusive for $63 on up to $70....No way, no how, no Carkoon!

And I'm really disappointed with that as I, like Jesse, really only want this for the base. However, I would eat the cost on the skiff and figs if the price was right.

I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 9, 2008, 12:47 PM »
My take on this:

Skiff = $20
Sarlaac pit = $15
Four poorly painted figs = $16

That's what, $51?

Seems more in line with what they did last year (though nothing will beat last year's sets IMO).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #134 on: December 9, 2008, 01:02 PM »
I'd still buy Hoth Turrets for $20 a pop if it included a redeco figure or some boxes or something.  Nothing flashy to it, but it's probably one of my favorite larger items I have in my collection.