Author Topic: Imperial Storm Commandos  (Read 5958 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Imperial Storm Commandos
« on: September 3, 2009, 05:25 PM »
I don't know why it hadn't occured to me before to ask this question, but does anyone here (Jesse I'm looking at you) know which of the upcoming Storm Commandos is more accurate? The Evolutions version or the one from the comic pack? I'm kind of wanting to put together a squad of these guys, but I'd like to do it with one type. Here's the comparison between the two:

Aside from the obvious color difference, there seems to be a couple things different with the sculpt as well. The Evolutions version is mostly the VTSC Scout, with a new helmet, shins, and a belt. I'm struggling on the comic pack version though. The General Wier looks like he is entirely the Endor BP/VTSC removable helmet scout sculpt with a new head and bandoleer. But the commando with him is different. He is missing the ankle holster which means his shins aren't the VTSC sculpt and the quads aren't either, but they don't look like the Evolutions version either. It almost looks like he uses the VTSC Snowtrooper legs. Same with the arms.

I'd like to know which is technically more accurate. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: January 4, 2023, 01:00 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Imperial Storm Commandos
« Reply #1 on: September 3, 2009, 11:15 PM »
The Evolutions is more to the West End Games look for the character, and its original designs I think...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Storm_commando

So for me, that's their ultimate "official" look, but I think the others work as maybe variant armor.  I see a Commando unit as having some flexibility in their gear, even in the Empire, and so they're a little more likely to have some diversity.  Some may prefer Scout armor, others may like something a little tougher, and so on.  The Evolutions figure though, to me, seems more representative of the characters.  No surprise it's also the most distinctly different sculpt though too.

It could be argued different units within the Storm Commandoes have different armor too, for a variety of reasons... 

I treat the original "Kashyyyk" Trooper that was a repaint of the VTSC Scout as a Spec. Forces trooper...  I treat them as pathfinders among the Scouts.  Sort of a recon/special unit separate of the regular Scouts.  Armor's the same, just different colors.  It helps me BS the many I bought into my displays too.  ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 4, 2009, 10:51 AM »
I was just noticing all the differences as well, trying to figure out what type of squad/squads I'm putting together. There are parts differences between the three, and I think the regular comic pack commando might even be a repaint of the hoth scout. Look at the shoulders.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 4, 2009, 11:51 AM »
The Evo is the original design, the comic pack & exclusive pack with speeder is the later repaint of scouts.

I like them both.

Offline Dhivael

• Youngling
  • Dark Lord of the Sith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 7, 2009, 09:57 PM »
The Evo is the original design, the comic pack & exclusive pack with speeder is the later repaint of scouts.
What he said, except I actually prefer the repaint.
-Dhivael

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 8, 2009, 10:32 AM »
I missed the boat on putting together a squad of the SDCC re-paint. I'm hoping that one will come out as a Legends.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."