Author Topic: Advice on Best Battle Droid?  (Read 4788 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Advice on Best Battle Droid?
« on: September 25, 2009, 11:13 PM »
I have been meaning to upgrade my EP1 BD's and came across this one from a known overseas seller.  Can someone tell me where this is showing up or will show up?  There is also a BD Commander with the same sculpt and they seem to match the recent Target Geonosis 2-Packs.  

Also, is the Clone Wars Battle Droid able to display and fit in okay with other Figs if not, what is everyones opinion as the best BD produced to date?

Any help would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 02:53 PM by Jim »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Can Someone Identify This Legacy Battle Droid?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 11:25 PM »
I want to say that's new.  It appears to be the same mold as the Target BD, but I'm not sure.  I sometimes go skimming through that seller's pages, and find myself thinking this would be easier than searching in the stores.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 12:18 AM »
I've pondered those images for a while now, and I think they're the non-poseable 2-pack droid.  There's no noticeable gaps at the knees, hips, or elbows, which all should have a fairly visible gap if it's the Target droid or any droid with articulation at those points.  The hips especially should have a gap for the ball/socket's range of motion.

The shoulders have some gapping, but not much.

The paintjob's weird though...  It's not really accurate to anything and missing the eyes too of course.  Those have been up for a bit, and are a mystery so far.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 01:02 PM »
Yeah, those are from the Saga Legends 2-packs. Weird that they're missing the eyes though? ???
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 01:21 PM »
Yeah, those are from the Saga Legends 2-packs. Weird that they're missing the eyes though? ???

Even worse that the Target Geonosis 2 pack droids were shipped to stores with no eyes.

Seriously, who's on quality control here?  There must have been some real painstaking scrutiny during those inspections, mmmhmmmm.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Best Battle Droid?
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 04:28 PM »
Maybe they canned the regular SW painters and hired the guys who painted the Indiana Jones line? I've noticed a serious decrease in paint quality over the last few waves...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 10:19 AM »
That's obviously one of Tunghori's auctions.  I've ordered from him before - some of his stuff is okay, but some of it shows up with ben marks, missing paint, etc.  I think his figs come from an overseas factory and a lot of them are factory errors or figs that just didn't make the QC cut.  I have had good luck contacting him post auction and letting him know that I want his best quality paint jobs (he typically has bucketloads of each figure he's selling).
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JES

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 03:33 PM »
What baffles me is how and why Hasbro lets him and others like him sell the qty of figures they do all the while illegally...  :-\

I have wanted someone to ask that question in a Hasbro Q&A and haven't had any willing to. They have talked off the switch or swap of figures, but never of someone obviously stealing from factories and making lots of money.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 03:54 PM »
I'm not sure its worth their time honestly.  He may sell a lot of figures, but not enough to make any kind of dent in Hasbro's sales.  Like I said, its mostly discarded stuff anyway, so maybe there's no policy on making sure that stuff gets destroyed.  Going after him would require some international intervention...just not sure that its a big priority for them. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JES

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 04:03 PM »
This is true, but having known for a fact they have gone after some of the protoype sellers in the past and prosecuted. I see not much difference here. Of course we're in a different place and time vs just two-three years back (economy, etc).

I did find it outrageously funny that in a Hasbro Q&A just a few weeks back the issue of swapping figures and returning came up and Hasbro mentioned investigating with the brick n mortar stores and prosecuting some people in the past. That is really over the top. No way would Hasbro exhaust the energy, time, and money to nail down some figure swapping chump in backwater Arkansas and yet let someone with a factory connection earn a living on eBay. I can only imagine tunghori lives fairly well considering the amount of product he sells (and has sold) where most live in dire poverty conditions.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 05:06 PM »
Well, who knows, maybe they even have a deal to sell off gobs of factory error stuff at cheap prices.   Given how well Hasbro/Star WArs has sold over the years, I would be really shocked to see them going after the little bits of factory error or repackage incidents out there.  We sure have seen some weird repack issues in Minnesota though.  Everything from headless GH figures (I still don't understand that one) to X-Wing fighters containing A-wing pilots!

Out of curiosity, has anyone else ever ordered from Tunghori?  The stuff I got was way back in the ROTS days, but I'm tempted to get one of his custom female troopers. Micheal has one for trade, so I know he must have ordered from him recently.  Any others?  IF so, how was the quality of the figs you received?

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 11:31 PM »
Well, who knows, maybe they even have a deal to sell off gobs of factory error stuff at cheap prices.   Given how well Hasbro/Star WArs has sold over the years, I would be really shocked to see them going after the little bits of factory error or repackage incidents out there.  We sure have seen some weird repack issues in Minnesota though.  Everything from headless GH figures (I still don't understand that one) to X-Wing fighters containing A-wing pilots!

Out of curiosity, has anyone else ever ordered from Tunghori?  The stuff I got was way back in the ROTS days, but I'm tempted to get one of his custom female troopers. Micheal has one for trade, so I know he must have ordered from him recently.  Any others?  IF so, how was the quality of the figs you received?

I do all the time just to save time and money.  I usually get my figs in around a week afer paying.  If you are really specific about the weapons, accessories ask first.  Sometimes they come with them sometimes they dont.  If the picture shows it then they are included.  The quality is fine.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 12:50 AM »
I've ordered and never had a problem, but I've not done so for a while.  I'm assuming nothing has changed though as that goes.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77