Author Topic: The Big Vehicles - Did You Buy Them?  (Read 49443 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: The Big Vehicles - Did You Buy Them?
« Reply #45 on: August 3, 2008, 01:56 PM »
Bummer. If I would have though about it, I could have gotten some locals together and taken advantage of that K-Mart sale.  :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 4, 2008, 10:14 AM »
We hit 2 Targets (one Super) and TRU this weekend, and all three had 2-4 AT-TEs on the shelves, but only one (SuperTarget) had a Falcon.  I have seen these same shelves empty from AT-TEs, so they must have restocked them.  I haven't been to WM in awhile now to check their aisle display thingy (which had several Falcons), but aside from that, both of these seem to be selling pretty well around here.  Hopefully that continues through the rest of the year, and we can see some more BMF vehicles in the future.  These would be great Christmas gifts for kiddos (or collectors), so maybe sales will pick up as we get into holiday shopping season.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 3, 2008, 03:51 PM »
Looking around our stores locally, these both seem to either be selling pretty well - or not shipping very heavily - because they definitely aren't packed on the shelves.  Its always tough to judge, particularly with the Falcon, because there could be several in the storeroom.  Between our three Targets, I think there is currently only one Falcon on the endcap.  WM seems to have a couple left out, and TRU hasn't had any since the launch day (at least that I've seen).  There seems to be 1-2 AT-TEs at each store, but it does seem that they sell through and restock.  Anyways, I'm curious what the longer out sales will be like, but right now they seem to be doing ok - at least around here.  I still wait to hear someone finding some awesome Target clearance deal on the Falcon once they decide to take the endcap down.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: September 3, 2008, 11:26 PM »
I see tons of Falcons everywhere I go, but less AT-TE's...  This is what I figured would happen.  I only see the TE at WM anymore, while I see Falcons at all 3 stores still.  The higher price tag, the lack of being tied to anything recent and maybe relying more on collector-support seem to be detrimental to the Falcon.  I wish the AT-TE was anywhere but WM as maybe I could get another one on sale...  Right now, WM is it here.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 4, 2008, 05:09 PM »
I keep hoping I'll get lucky like a few people are in finding some Wal-Marts clearning these out cheap.  I've already got one Falcon and one AT-TE, but would get another of each if the price was right.

Online Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 5, 2008, 02:26 PM »
I bought the Falcon last night at the urging of my wife, who was tired of hearing me talk about getting it. Now she's gonna get tired of hearing it, instead. :D

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 5, 2008, 02:34 PM »
I bought the Falcon last night at the urging of my wife, who was tired of hearing me talk about getting it. Now she's gonna get tired of hearing it, instead. :D

Do you have kids?
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Online Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 6, 2008, 02:56 PM »
No...?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 6, 2008, 03:02 PM »
No...?

Wrong!  You do have kids.   ;D

Back on topic - I still haven't bought a Falcon.  Anyone know of any current or upcoming deals?  The TRU 20% off coupons last month were a nice surprise, but I didn't take the opportunity to get a Falcon.  :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2008, 11:06 AM »
I've noticed that lately both of these seem to be in decent supplies in the stores around here (possibly gearing up for Christmas already).  I hope that sales have continued to do as well as they apparently were initially.

Anyways, I was just thinking about the whole "large vehicles" issue, and was wondering what you think would do best at retail.  Obviously, the Falcon and AT-TE are the "tests" for this portion of the market, and if they do well, Hasbro's hinted we could see others.  We've seen rumors from everything from new BMF treatments of OT vehicles (AT-AT and Slave 1), to all new vehicles from the prequels and Clone Wars (Turbo Tank).  When it comes to this pricepoint, do you think new versions of Original Trilogy vehicles or all new prequel-era vehicles would do better overall?  Sure, I think everyone likes to see all-new stuff - but while we've seen many to most of the OT vehicles several times already, they might have more of a broad appeal to buyers (both collectors and casual buyers).  Also, there's always the side issue of the OT seemingly having a little more of popularity movie-wise overall, at least with older buyers.  Or, maybe it doesn't make a difference either way and "Star Wars is Star Wars".  Anyways, I didn't mean this as a OT vs PT debate or anything, but just what would possibly hold the stronger future for the "BMF" line.  Would collectors/buyers get more excited about something along the lines of a BMF treatment of the AT-AT (or insert any other OT vehicle here) or a new Turbo Tank (again, any other vehicle here, just an example)?

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2008, 01:34 PM »
My top contenders for a large scale vehicle are (in order of preference):

Jabba's Sail Barge: tons of play value if rooms/compartments are made into the body of the craft. A lot of action happened around this vessel in a key scene in the movie. Now that it's been sighted in the cartoon movie and may appear in the cartoon show, it's got more appeal

Clone Turbo Tank (Juggernaut): This is already rumored to be coming out. My hopes is that it's at least as big as the AT-TE (though even that would be grossly underscaled). Though I'd really like something on the order of how tall the AT-AT toy is. Though this would mean it would be longer than the AT-AT toy as well.

Redux AT-AT: A larger version of this is definitely needed. At least 12-18 inches taller. Electronics, more room in the body for troops and the new snow speederbikes. This vehicle begs to be made at a larger size. Now a caveat/compromise would be to redux the Snowspeeder to make it smaller, so that both redux vehicles would be much closer in relative scale to each other than the current too large snowspeeder and too small AT-AT we have now.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2008, 05:18 PM »
These have been widely available here since 7/26.  WM's have the most of both the Falcon and the TE, but Target has their share of both as well.  I'm not shocked...  $100 to $150 is a lot of money.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2008, 07:31 PM »
At almost any store around here there are only a couple left of each. I'd say they're selling pretty well.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2008, 09:25 AM »
When I was out the other day, during my short time in the toy isle, I saw, at two different times, two 30ish non-collectors come over and marvel how cool the BMF was to their buddies/kid respectively. That has to be translating into sales.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2008, 10:19 AM »
I still see the Falcon on most of my toy runs.  But the most I've seen in one place lately is three.  And the AT-TE?  I haven't seen one in at least a few weeks.  Given the high volume of collectors around my area it's good to see that the demand is strong.

And I think that demand bodes well for large vehicles in the future.  Granted, the Falcon has an iconic status that's tough to match.  But the AT-TE really only had limited exposure before the current Clone Wars series and theatrical release.  It's good to see that the AT-TE is selling well.  I think part of that sales success story is the fact that it's a great toy.  Hasbro came up with some great play features that make it a lot of fun.  The motorized boarding ramp had more than a few people captivated at Toy Fair.

Now if the rumors of the Turbo Tank are true?  That could be very cool.  And I saw on another board that our trusty Rune_Haako suggested that the Turbo Tank be made as an R/C vehicle.  Talk about play value!  And given the size of those wheels on the Turbo Tank, it's something that totally lends itself to this vehicle.  And doing that would be something of a nod to the old Kenner Jawa Sandcrawler with it's 1970's tech R/C controller.  And the drive systems would probably fit pretty well in the Turbo Tank's sizable undercarriage.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback