Author Topic: How did Jabba the Hutt get so much power?  (Read 8047 times)

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
How did Jabba the Hutt get so much power?
« on: August 1, 2008, 10:09 PM »
In OT we learnt Jabba is wealthy, has a lot of henchmen, guards, ships, he can hire bounty hunters
But how did he summon so much power? The hutts have no legs, only hands, I wonder if Nal Hutta Technology was very advanced before the Hutts entered in Tatoine.

In EU other Hutts show that level of wealth, and are protected by many henchmen too.

Are all the Hutts wealthy on Nall Hutta, so they accumulate enough money to hire warriors and live in palaces? Does Nal Hutta produce natural resources that generate this wealth?

The Hutt appaearence suggets that they canīt fight properly against biped species in the galaxy. We can assume they have strenght due to their weight, and they can handle blasters and arpoons.

Come on share your opinions about the power of Jabba and his relatives.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2008, 01:11 AM by EpicGon »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: How did Jabba the Hutt get so much power?
« Reply #1 on: August 1, 2008, 10:36 PM »
My assumption has been that they are smart and born into money.  I always think "mob boss" when I hear about Hutts - they come up with the plans and finance the crimes, but let others get their hands dirty.  Those who have money often make money, so no surprise that hutts in general are often depicted as wealthy.  The theory that Nall Hutta had some rich resources to get them started is as good as any.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Hutts, prior to the Empire anyway, seem rather politically powerful as well...  Remember in E1 they refer to Tatooine as being in "Hutt Space", which I've inferred this (and the fact Republic Credits aren't accepted there) means the planet itself falls outside Republic jurisdiction.  Likewise, didn't QGJ mention ANakin "falling through the cracks" due to being outside the Republic?

Flash forward to the Imperial era and one of the positives of the Empire is likely a crackdown on crime...  Also expansion.  "Hutt Space" by the time of the Imperial era is maybe all but gone...  They have influence perhaps, and their criminal behaviors would enable them to continue having influence in some way shape or form, but the Empire seemingly has taken over Tatooine...  At least according to EU. 

Since the prequals though, I've envisioned the Hutts as kind of like just "another option" for people to live/survive in.  The same as choosing to live in the Klingon Empire in Star Trek, rather than live in the Federation...  And like the "Hutt Space", there are probably other areas controlled by other groups/political bodies that don't want involved with the Republic.  Look how many powerful groups are sick of the Republic and want to leave even.  It's a lot, and they're incredibly wealthy/powerful, even within the Republic.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Padawan Wagaboodles

• Jedi Initiate
  • Choose wisely
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 5, 2008, 10:29 AM »
My understanding from some of the books is that the Hutts tend to have drug cartels or mafia-type syndicates. Let's face it, the Hutts didn't rise to power or anything through hard work.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 01:59 AM »
We can measure Huts power by their wealth, Jabba must be the wealthies, he has lots of slaves, guards and ships. His palace is sophisticated, he collects arts pieces and trophies, has a will for aesthetics.

But Hutts donīt spend so much money on clothes, I remember only a Hutt with a cap an a vest from the old republic time. But we see Jabba naked. Perhaps to depict differents Hutts, the illustrators of expanded universe choose to dress them up.

Other expanded universe item for wealthy hutts is a levitating litter for transportation. Jabba in ANH crawls on docking bay 94, but on some expanded universe comics he use that levitator throne.
Perhaps the doctor recomended Jabba to "walk" or crawl to improve health?

Other wealthy hutt was a Jabbaīs fiance, who promenades in the streets with a huge litter with a race of strong males carrying it.