Author Topic: Beijing Olympics  (Read 10307 times)

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
Beijing Olympics
« on: August 7, 2008, 01:38 PM »
Opening ceremonies are upon us.  Any interest in the games?

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Re: Beijing Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 7, 2008, 01:42 PM »
Definitely planning on watching the swimming events, volleyball (sand and court) and women's gymnastics.  Not too sure what else will be of interest or televised for that matter.  My family is more into the Winter Olympics, so there is very little we watch during the Summer games...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 7, 2008, 03:33 PM »
I will watch it if it is on and LIVE.

Any event that requires Speed, Strength, Distance or Scoring Points (ie Goals or Targets) I will watch. 

If it involves a "Judges Interpretation" of the happenings, I will not.  Those are exhibitions as far as I am concerned and too open to "politics and popularity".  Not trying to diminish what those folks do, but the fact that their success rides on Subjective goals lessens what they do.

I also lament the fact that BMX racing is an event this year... Can we stop lowering the bar for what is considered a competition?   

I miss the Cold War too...it was more fun when some of the Countries were "Mysterious" and clouded and Closed.

I love Sports on the World Stage, I just wish the broadcast rights here in the USA were not exclusive.  NBC will have us watch 45 minutes of Gymnastics Practice of the 3rd string US team, and miss other Competitions or Events.  Sorry...I'll get off the soapbox.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 7, 2008, 03:47 PM »
I think they should bring back the tug of war.  They could even do it based on weight classes.  Like for the lightweight division you can have up to 5 guys with a total weight of 750 lbs and no individual over 200 lbs, up to the heavy weight division with 5 guys up to 1500 lbs total.  And since its purely a test of strength, its not like any countries wouldn't be able to field a team.  Just a thought.
I am not the Stig

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 8, 2008, 10:16 AM »
We'll definitely be watching it - always enjoy catching the Olympic Games, the summer ones in particular.  Its the only time that I'll watch things like swimming, volleyball, track and field etc. - but its interesting to me.  Of course, I'm all into the b-ball, hopefully Team USA can pull their heads out this year and win the gold again.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #5 on: August 8, 2008, 10:36 AM »
Opening ceremonies are upon us.  Any interest in the games?

I want to watch the old swimming chick and the volleyball chick with the hot ass and the Banana Boat tattoo.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 8, 2008, 12:38 PM »
I also lament the fact that BMX racing is an event this year... Can we stop lowering the bar for what is considered a competition?   

It is only a matter of time before the X-Games become part of the Olympics. After all they already took away Snowboarding for the most part.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 8, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Further diluting the games this year.... Olympic Trampoline...and it is a Medal Sport...

Look out for Olympic "Wii Fit Hula Hoop" at the 2012 Games, as an exhibition of course.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: August 9, 2008, 08:34 AM »
I never liked the Olympics. Even as a kid i felt most of it was boring and not really "sports". I won't be watching.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #9 on: August 9, 2008, 08:42 AM »
I watched the opening ceremonies last night and was completely awestruck. The Chinese sure now how to put on a show.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: August 9, 2008, 03:16 PM »
We had the opening ceremonies on at work and they were great.  We did make a few jokes about the Mongolians actually getting over the wall.   ;D

It was also a very touching story about the child walking with Yao Ming how he saved two of his classmates after the earthquake.  Just amazing stuff!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 12:28 AM »
Michael Phelps is a beast.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 10:21 AM »
That 400m relay last night was pure awesome.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 10:37 AM »
Canada is of course just destroying the competition... ::)
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 01:47 PM »
That 400m relay last night was pure awesome.

Did they ever end up actually showing the race?  I stayed up until 10:40pm mountain time and never saw it.  I could not handle watching the gymnastics anymore.  Not because of the competitors but I just got sick of the commentators whining about any little mistep.  Hearing John Tesh did not help.