Author Topic: donotcall.gov  (Read 3538 times)

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
donotcall.gov
« on: June 27, 2003, 08:49 AM »
the US government has passed a law that allows people to enter their telephone number into a database which restricts telemarketers from calling you. it was just passed today, so the website has been up and down. check it out

www.donotcall.gov
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Re: donotcall.gov
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 09:58 AM »
Best law ever. Now they need a "donotspam.gov." THEN we can celebrate.
Post sober.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 10:49 AM »
Best law ever. Now they need a "donotspam.gov." THEN we can celebrate.

Now THAT would be something to throw a party about!
dustrho

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 10:54 AM »
I tried going to the site, but unfortunately it's not coming up for me.  It must be getting pounded by a ton of traffic I guess.  I'll try again later.
dustrho

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 10:58 AM »
Indiana has had this law in place for, oh Id say maybe a year at least? It is very effective! There are still exceptions to who can call though (non profits, newspapers, govt. related and a few others I believe), but as a whole it is incredibly efficient. We used to get 2-3 calls a day, and now hardly get that many in a months time
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 11:19 AM »
2-3 a day?  I wish, we get nailed probably on average about 7 times a day.  Two or three during the day.  Most at supper time but a few as late as 10 PM. >:(

Canada has no such law.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 11:23 AM »
We get hit about 5 times a day, and most of them are in the evenings.  That's mainly because if they're calling an average household both the husband & wife work, and won't be home during the day to answer the phone.

I HATE TELEMARKETERS!   >:(
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 11:23 AM »
Yep, I think the site is jammed. Here's the story on CNN.

Consumers can sign up to block telemarketers

I did copy & paste the URL & I got into the National Do Not Call Registry. The link I provided works.  ;)

http://www.donotcall.gov

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2003, 11:34 AM »
We've had such a list in Minnesota for around 6 months now.  Idiots made it with so many loopholes though that it has done nothing.

I'll register but do not expect anything to change

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2003, 05:07 PM »
I know that hundreds of thousands of people are trying to register on this site, but I thought I'd say that I have yet been able to do this today.  It keeps bombing on me.  I'm gonna just keep and trying until I can register.
dustrho

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2003, 07:34 PM »
Still crashing. I'll do it this weekend when everyone is not at work raking this site over the coals.

Got Clones?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2003, 07:55 PM »
I heard on the news that this site was getting 1000 hits per second or something silly like that.

Lately email spam has been a much bigger problem than telemarketers.  The thing I hate most about telemarketers is that 10 second delay when you pick up the phone where you say, "hello" about six times before you get a person on the other end with their 5 minute soliloquey.

Anyhow, good law in my book.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2003, 08:09 PM »
I just got into the site to register just fine, but then I realized we're moving next month, so why bother right now.  I'll just wait 'til we get into the new casa and register our new # out there.

We get several telemarketer calls a day (sometimes as early as 7:30am  >:(), but most everyone we know, knows that we screen all of our calls, so if they don't start talkin' to the machine - they ain't gonna get to talk to us!  On the rare occasion we do pick up and it's a telemarketer, we usually figure it out by the "brief pause", and just hang up right away.  Either that, or I just say "No, Matt's not here right now.  Bye."

E-mail spam on the other hand...  Oh boy is that crap out of control.  I must delete a good 50 or so a day, in our several different e-mail accounts.  Obnoxious fools those spammers are!   ::)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2003, 09:38 PM »
E-mail spam on the other hand...  Oh boy is that crap out of control.  I must delete a good 50 or so a day, in our several different e-mail accounts.  Obnoxious fools those spammers are!   ::)

With caller id, I just don't answer (though it is annoying) but like Matt stated: Email spam is wayyyy out of control.  I am so tired of people trying to get me to enlarge a body part I don't have, participate in activities with members of the same sex or invite me to spy on people with a tiny little camera, I could SCREAM!!!!  
Anyways, I'm going to sign up for the "don't bother me, I'm eating" phone harasser list and keep hoping we'll have an email spam one some day.
Beth

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2003, 12:58 AM »
There was a local news report saying that people will eventually stop using email, because of all the spam they get in their inbox.  I don't think I'll ever stop using email, but it is annoying when you get about 50-100 junk emails and only 1-5 of them are actually from someone you know.   >:(
dustrho