Author Topic: New To Vintage Collecting? Some Tips!  (Read 87756 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
New To Vintage Collecting? Some Tips!
« on: June 9, 2003, 11:22 AM »
Thinking about getting into vintage.  Figs only for the most part (though now that I remember, my Rancor is actually the Vintage version :)).  To that end, I want to ask some questions of the knowledgeable folks.  Specifically I'll be curious about prices.  

My goals are as follows:  

complete loose figure collection, though not overly concerned about vinyl vs cloth cape Jawa for example.

not too concerned with the saber variations - eg. double telescoping vs anything else

not overly concerned about vlix or blue snaggletooth at this moment in time ;)

I think I will start with imperials, given my biases, so the first questions are:

Vader:  how many versions and reasonable prices (US bucks)

Stormtrooper: price?

vinty poster: price?

Links are helpful too, just point the way.  Always happy to have questions answered personally though.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 10:35 AM by OCB »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Take the time, train a rookie?
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2003, 12:03 PM »
First off I will say it all depends on what condition you want the figures. Do you want original weapons to go with them or reproductions.
The better the figure the more they will cost. Now being a newbie starting the vintage collection, you should get to know the figures & whats out there. You should pick up Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive by Stephen Sansweet. There is one on eBay right now. Action Figure Archive

Another way to research eBay is to use this old search engine to look at completed items & on going auctions.
Search/Items

You can also search BIN items by what I use that come out new every odd hour.
New Vintage Bin's

Or if you do not want to BIN an auction & want to wait till the end, you can still see the new stuff posted.
Vintage (1977-89)

If you are not sure on the auction, email the seller & ask questions. What is the shipping cost, do they have better pictures, etc...

The most importent thing is to remember is, spend only what you can afford. Start off with the easy ones to get then work your way up unless you find a bargin auction with lots of figures with a good price.

As for what you ask for prices for the figures, I will give you a few auctions that ended on them.
Darth Complete 1 Darth Complete 2 Darth Complete 3

Stormtrooper Complete 1 Stormtrooper Complete 2 Stormtrooper Complete 3

As you can see, the prices vary from one auction to another.

Star Wars posters:
STAR WARS ONE SHEET STYLE A THEATRE POSTER
Revenge of the Jedi Poster
Advance ESB Movie Poster
STAR WARS 1977 ORIGINAL POSTER

Posters vary in price too & there are fakes out there. I have no idea what to look for in the posters. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Learn first before you buy. Thats what I did.  ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2003, 01:27 PM »
Thanks Dale.  I've been lurking and watching stuff on ebay for a couple of weeks now.  I'll see if I can score that book.

FWIW, I would like nice, but not absolute mint figs.  At this point, I seriously doubt that I could tell the difference between original and repro weapons, so either is fine.  

Some of the BINs are downright scary and in part owe to why I was interested in that lot last night.  Several of those figures (those not deemed in ultra crappy shape) included had quite high BINs.  Example being Bespin Leia.  She was in the lot, possibly with a torn cape, but the next one I found had a BIN of $40 for loose.  No one says I have to BIN, I can just bid, but I have to wonder how accurate those prices are?  

Duh, what are the easy ones?  I know, look on ebay and find the cheap ones in good condition, ergo easy.  

What's your opinion of those prices on the Vader though?  Ranging from around $6-13 but is the $13 a bad deal?  The reason I ask is that there is a store here in town that sells vintage loose figs, so I can probably score some there to save on shipping.  Call shipping high on the $13 Vader, say $7 (for conversation, I'd never pay that) but that would make a total of $20 US or around $27 Cdn or so.  Is that too much for a good or NM vintage Vader?  If I can go out and buy the fig and have it in hand to inspect, check the joints, look for rubs or tears that is preferable.  

I understand the variability.  That's the whole thrust of the Ewok village thread.  If you're desperate, impatient and dumb, you're bound to pay too much.  

Are there any retailers online with "good" vintage prices for loose figs?  

I think I'm pretty much aiming only for loose and only for figs.  I might watch things like AT-STs or Ties as well, but I can learn those as I go and not worry about questions for them.  

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 9, 2003, 01:50 PM »
Most vintage non-POTF figs can be had for under $10....if you're patient. A $40 BIN for a bespin Leia is laughable at best........I wouldn't pay over $10 for her complete and mint....why? Because there are tons of these figs out there guys......honestly there is.

I can find mountains of figures at the Plano,Texas Sci Fi show for $5 a pop...complete too. Last year I made the run out to that show with my wife when EP2 came out....there was a show that weekend.......I totally cleaned one dealer out of vintage ship and playset parts......the dealer also had 4 big plastic tubs full of loose figures, in plastic holders,mostly mint with weapons....and original weapons at that....his asking price? $2-$3 apiece!

I run into scenarios like this alot from time to time.........but I don't bother picking them up because I really don't need any other figures other than the 4 last POTF figs I need...and army builders I might want.

But PLEASE, take the time and patience to search ended auctions......and don't jump on the first fig you see......you'll soon find that even most of the vintage POTF figs can be found easily on E-bay........
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 9, 2003, 01:54 PM »
Well feel free to ask any questions. I know that myself and the others will help any way we can.

As for vintage figs. Dale brought up alot of good points. Watch completed auctions but most of all be patient. Good deals can be had by checking auctions, Now with summer here another option is rummage sales. Vintage can be found now that some of the parents are emprty nesters. Some are cleaning attics and basements. Deals can be had with patience. I got my vintage Yoda and a Han for 25 cents each last year. Also post a want list. Most of it is just watching and waiting. The basic figs should be fairly easy to get at a good price. Also save up and get a big lot at once. save those shipping costs.

Also send me your adress. I have an extra Vader I would donate to get you started. :)
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 9, 2003, 02:13 PM »
Yes BIN prices are high. You will notice that the seller will have a figure starting at say $4.99 with a BIN of $40. The reason they put a high BIN is for the unsuspecting buyer to end the auction & they will make more money than what it is worth. Sometimes you just have to bid the opener & watch to see what happens in the ending days. If there is something you are really interested in, always make sure you are at your computer at the dying minutes. I never put a proxy in as to me it just serves no purpose puting in a proxy to find out someone just wants to bump your price up.

Now prices on the Vader are not too bad. $27. CDN is a good price. Take into account that a mint Luke figure will cost you around $40. - $50. CDN.

If you want, you can always check eBay Canada. Best part, no customs.  ;)

The most expensive figures to go after are the POTF last of the 17. These are them:

EV9D9
R2 Popup Sabre
Han Carbonite
Warok
Imperial Dignitary
Romba
Barada
Lando General
Anakin
Luke Stormtrooper
Imperial Gunner
Amanaman
Paploo
A-Wing Pilot
Luke poncho
Lumat
Yak Face

Best figures to start off with, Jawa R2-D2, C-3PO, Gen. Madine, Ackbar, Niem Numb, Imperial Commander, Stormtrooper, AT-AT Commander, B-Wing Pilot, 2-1B, FX-7, Emperor, Biker Scout, Bossk, Zuckuss, Dengar, Hammerhead, Red Snaggletooth, Nikto, Greedo, Walrus Man, Weequay, Klaatu, Bespin Guard, Lobot etc.
You can get these at a fair price.
No weapons to go with them around the $10 - $15. CDN range. If they have weapons, add $5. - $7.

Like you mentioned, if you can find them inhand in town then thats good. You can really have a good look at them. Just remember, there prices are not set in stone. Say the store asks for $20. for a figure, offer him $17. & see if they go for it. Just like a flea market. Haggle.

As for online in Canada, I am not sure whats around. Never used it before. Most of my figures came from eBay & around town.
When I started, I went for the gusto. I started the hard ones first to get them out of the way. My first was Yak Face & he was $105. US. The odd figure in between working my way up. The last rare figure was the Vinyl Cape Jawa. The last regular figure was the R2-D2 with Sensorscope.

As for vehicles, I did them towards the end. My Droids A-Wing & Imperial Shuttle cost me $150. US each.

Lot figures are usually good for bulk figures with a lot of wear. Unless you find a Blue Snaggy in it you go for it.  ;)

Always remember, if you get worn figures that you like, down the road you can always upgrade. Lord knows I have.  ;D

And on another note, with the more experience you have on prices the better it will be to see an auction with a BIN that the seller has for a good low price.  $90. US for a 12 back C-3PO was one of my best.  ;)

Offline CyberScout

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 9, 2003, 08:51 PM »
All the posts made already are excellent advise.I dont have much more to add except to echo the thoughts on patience.That is the key to Ebay.Keep your eyes peeled and I'm sure you will find a nice lot that you feel comfortable paying for in your range.If I run across anything I'll be sure to let you know..expecially if they are dealing with ewoks.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 10:31 AM »
There is one more important factor with auctions, Always check the sellers feedback. Nice to see if the seller has a good reputation. If they have lots of negatives, stay away. Read the comments that have been made by other buyers.
Also take note that a seller can have a 100% positive feedback & yet something can still go wrong. eBay is nothing more than a GIANT garage sale.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 11:19 PM »
All the posts made already are excellent advise.I dont have much more to add except to echo the thoughts on patience.That is the key to Ebay.Keep your eyes peeled and I'm sure you will find a nice lot that you feel comfortable paying for in your range.If I run across anything I'll be sure to let you know..expecially if they are dealing with ewoks.

actually that's the funny thing about this.  I looked at the list and crossed off Ewoks as being necessary almost immediately.  That'll save me some money right there. ;)

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Starting out...
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2003, 07:01 PM »
Hello, I am going to tackle the task of collecting all loose vintage figures.  Any leads would be appreciated.

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
Re: Starting out...
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2003, 08:03 PM »
ebay is definitely the place to look. these forums are also a good place to look.
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2003, 10:41 PM »
F.E.L

Check the threads I've started recently.  I'm in the exact same boat as you, just starting.  We should try to communicate at least a little so we don't end up bumping up each other's bids.  I'm in no hurry for most things, so I'm likely to yield on lots of things you're after.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2003, 11:58 PM »
F.E.L

Check the threads I've started recently.  I'm in the exact same boat as you, just starting.  We should try to communicate at least a little so we don't end up bumping up each other's bids.  I'm in no hurry for most things, so I'm likely to yield on lots of things you're after.

Will do - thanks.  Please let me know if you see a good auction with stuff you have and don't need.  Thanks!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2003, 12:10 AM »
Can do.  I have only 8 right now, so it won't happen often.  Actually, I won six the other night and no response yet from seller.  Aaaaargh.

Only thing I've really noted so far is I like auctions better that end during the week, not on weekends. ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2003, 12:11 AM by Morgbug »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2003, 07:19 AM »
Only thing I've really noted so far is I like auctions better that end during the week, not on weekends. ;)

You are starting to learn well young  ::) padawan.   ;D
Auctions that end during the week I find are the best to look at. Mostly during the work hrs. Not alot of people have access to eBay with there work computers. Some companys do not allow certain sites to be accessed.
But do take note, there is the other side of the planet that there hrs are in the evening. Some auctions can be won by them.

As Brent mentioned Matthew, check the past posts made in the vinty section. There are a few secrets I have posted.  ;)

Very nice to see other members getting involved in vintage collecting.  8) Just don't not go over what you plan to spend.  

Now go out & win some Ewoks.  ;D