Collectibles > Vintage Kenner

New To Vintage Collecting? Some Tips!

<< < (17/18) > >>

McMetal:
I can see I'll be spending a lot of time in here.  ;D

I have caught the vintage collecting bug BAD in the past few weeks. I was a dedicated collector in my younger days and then lost interest around the time Kenner went under.

I got back into the whole thing with the first Clone Wars animated series. (Tartakovsky = brilliant) From there I morphed seamlessly into the CGI CW merchandise. I have pretty much everything CW related that is currently available, so my interest soon gravitated back to the original Kenner swag.

Luckily most of my early collection survived, with the exception of a few vehicles and playsets, so after a quick review I found I only needed about 18 more figs for a complete collection. And with that, the hunt was on.

Luckily eBay and I are old friends, so I have not had much trouble scoring the remainders so far. I can already see Yak Face will the the last to pick up. Even loose that mother is pricey!

I do have a question about "repro" weapons - I often see this noted in auction listings. Are these vintage era weapons from other figures being substituted or post-80's reproductions, like from the "Saga" re-releases?

I try to steer clear of anything that isn't 100% authentic or complete, but I'm still curious what that REPRO tag implies.

sabresedge:

--- Quote from: McMetal on August 31, 2009, 12:00 PM ---I can see I'll be spending a lot of time in here.  ;D

I have caught the vintage collecting bug BAD in the past few weeks. I was a dedicated collector in my younger days and then lost interest around the time Kenner went under.

I got back into the whole thing with the first Clone Wars animated series. (Tartakovsky = brilliant) From there I morphed seamlessly into the CGI CW merchandise. I have pretty much everything CW related that is currently available, so my interest soon gravitated back to the original Kenner swag.

Luckily most of my early collection survived, with the exception of a few vehicles and playsets, so after a quick review I found I only needed about 18 more figs for a complete collection. And with that, the hunt was on.

Luckily eBay and I are old friends, so I have not had much trouble scoring the remainders so far. I can already see Yak Face will the the last to pick up. Even loose that mother is pricey!

I do have a question about "repro" weapons - I often see this noted in auction listings. Are these vintage era weapons from other figures being substituted or post-80's reproductions, like from the "Saga" re-releases?

I try to steer clear of anything that isn't 100% authentic or complete, but I'm still curious what that REPRO tag implies.

--- End quote ---

Anytime you see REPRO in an auction with a loose vintage figure, the weapon you're receiving was NOT made in the 70's or 80's, but around the early to mid 90's and are not considered original. Most REPRO weapons will sink if put in a glass or water or make a "tingy" sound when dropped on a hard surface. Originals float in water, will not make that sound, and are in much higher demand then their 90's versions. The REPRO weapons are often easy to spot to the trained eye and some are even off on the colors. For example, some repro blasters are dark grey when they should be black or blue.

The Saga weapons are actually larger in size and are very easy to spot. I would recommend staying away from ebay for loose figure purchases with any dealer that has REPRO in the description or even sells lots of weapons by themselves. Some dealers include the phrase, "weapons and accessories that come with these figures may or may not be reproductions", somewhere near the end of their description which keeps them out of trouble with ebay.

James

McMetal:
Thanks for the info, that is great to know!

I have tried to be pretty selective about the loose figs I am picking up, most are from reputable dealers with 100% feedback and have detailed descriptions and photos. I have definitely noticed a few auctions that seem intentionally vague out there.

Last stupid question - what kind of a grading scale is being used on these things? I see lots of C10 and C9.5 but I have no idea what those points correspond to. Is it some kind of AFA standard?

sabresedge:

--- Quote from: McMetal on September  1, 2009, 09:31 PM ---Thanks for the info, that is great to know!

I have tried to be pretty selective about the loose figs I am picking up, most are from reputable dealers with 100% feedback and have detailed descriptions and photos. I have definitely noticed a few auctions that seem intentionally vague out there.

Last stupid question - what kind of a grading scale is being used on these things? I see lots of C10 and C9.5 but I have no idea what those points correspond to. Is it some kind of AFA standard?

--- End quote ---

That's a whole other story altogether. One person's idea of C9 may be different from yours. If they hold the figure by the head and shake it slightly and the limbs don't wobble, they may consider it C9. Upon further inspection though, it may have slight paint wear, factory paint overspray, or marks on the inner parts of the arms or legs.

I believe C10 figures DO NOT EXIST. There is always a flaw with a figure like the ones mentioned above. I've even seen ones opened from cut cards with marks on them from rubbing against the bubble or a mark probably made prior to leaving the conveyor to the bubble attachment area. Very few have ever graded AFA 100 and those sell for astronomical(and not worth it IMHO)prices.

There's not a universal grading system per say, but mostly what you decide you're willing to settle for as far as your own grading standard. Some collectors prefer figures minty ones in case they have to sell them sometime in the future. Others just want to display them in dioramas or give them to their kids to play with. In the latter case, it also keeps your kids attention away from "Daddy's Toys" in the house. ;)

If you are looking for high grade figures. You might be better off buying ones on beat up cards and opening them. GASP! :o I know some of you are shocked right now with me saying this, but I've seen everything from a POTF R2 Pop Up Saber to a ESB red Sanggletooth opened in front of me after I sold them to people who wanted minty figures and hated AFA. On the other hand, cut and damaged cards have lately brought higher prices since AFA collectors are sending them in to get the "U" or uncirculated grades. These add a premium price and spawned a whole new breed of collectors.

I do have lots of vintage figures available(loose and MOC) so if you're looking for certain ones, feel free to send me a PM and I can see what I can do for you. I'm also listed on Rebelscum under the same name if you need references or feedback.

James

Pete_Fett:
While I still have all of my vintage figures from when I was a kid, I have still either yet to uncover the box of my old playsets/vehicles in my parents' basement or it was thrown out years ago...

Either way, I have been hesitant to fill-in my own perceived "gaps" in the modern line with items from the vintage line for the primary reason that there's always a chance that ONE DAY Hasbro may update/re-release a vintage item. The updated Cloud Car prototype that recently came to light is evidence of this and I now find myself glad I never tried to track down a vintage Cloud Car to give my OTC Cloud Car pilots something to drive.

I have picked up a couple mini-rigs like the ISP-6, Endor Forest Ranger & Desert Sail Skiff - but I again I didn't want to go too crazy with those since they too may be updated one day.

One area though that probably will never be updated though is the playsets. One playset in particular that I'm interested in is the Dagobah playset.

I had this set as a kid and I remember my "bog" foam turning to a mush-like paste and I think at that point I threw my playset out (wish I could go back in time and stop myself, but oh well).

Is this set still worth getting? What (if anything) should I keep an eye out for if I'm looking to acquire a set on eBay? If I can find a set that is 100% complete and 100% in mint condition except the "bog" foam is gone/decayed, is there a solution for replacing that foam?

Any advice/help seasoned vintage collectors are willing to provide would be most appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version