Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2008  (Read 86155 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Regular Season 2008
« Reply #345 on: January 11, 2009, 07:55 AM »
Super Bowl:
Titans over Panthers

See, that's why I never bet on football games...

Holy ****, Delomme.  That was Favre-esque.  Great job.

The Ravens D is scary.  They're looking to kill you every time you touch the ball (and some will say a certain linebacker actually did kill someone). 

Out of the six remaining teams, I'm really just not rooting for two teams - the Giants and Chargers.  The former because I don't want to see a repeat champion that's not the Patriots & I hate all NY teams and the latter because they're a bunch of whiny bitches.  I don't have the hatred for the Steelers that some Pats fans do (although I'm pretty positive most Steelers fans hate the Patriots).  I've said it once, but I'll say it again, I would love to have Troy Polamalu on my team.  I have no issues with the Ravens.  Cocky, maybe.  But at least they back it up.  The Eagles have always been my NFC team and I can't root against a team that's been ****** for so many years (although I'm not the biggest Warner fan in the world).

And I'll say this - although I'm disappointed the Pats didn't make the playoffs, it's kind of refreshing not to have to live and die with every play in the playoffs.  I can sit back and enjoy the games calmly.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 11, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Dallas Cowboys released Adam Pacman Jones...  1 down, 50 more to go.

Now if I can just frame Wade and Tony No-Mo for giving TO a "Nancy Kerrigan" that will be 3 more out of the way.

Addition by Subtraction.

You can send Terrell Owens over to the Giants, we'll take him right now.  I'd give him 3 years $25 million in a heartbeat.

As a Giants fan....I never want to see TO in a Giants uniform.

Same here.  Thanks, but no thanks.  There's no need to pursue a guy who's a proven cancer in the clubhouse.  Especially after the whole Plaxico Burress situation.

Matt...don't go pinning your hopes on David Tyree.  The guy has been a solid special teams player and made one spectacular catch.  But other than that his career has not been spectacular.

Personally, I'm disgusted to see the Giants lose at home to Philly.  But the writing was on the wall.  They managed that win against the Panthers, but were not playing solid football leading into the playoffs. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #347 on: January 11, 2009, 04:38 PM »
My point was I don't think T.O. would be good with the Giants...or any team for that matter.  He has some good receiving skills, but they don't outweigh that gaping hole in his face that spews all sorts of crap.

The Giants D did fairly well today, but the Eli didn't seem to show up for the game.  Oh well...I didn't even expect them to make the playoffs this year when the season started so I'm happy with their performance overall this year.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 11, 2009, 05:36 PM »

The Giants D did fairly well today, but the Eli didn't seem to show up for the game.  Oh well...I didn't even expect them to make the playoffs this year when the season started so I'm happy with their performance overall this year.

The Def looked great - the offense had it's moments too, but just couldn't get in the end zone.  That could have been a seriously high scoring game if either team could have crossed the stripe instead of settling for FGs.  Blame Eli all you want - I say he doesn't have anyone that good to throw too.  Hixon is probably the best receiver they have and he's just not #1 WR talent.  But of course, they have no need for someone like Owens or Burress for that matter.   ::)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #349 on: January 11, 2009, 06:11 PM »
I agree on the Giants needed Receivers...the ones they have are crap on not having a true #1 hurt them most of the 2nd half of the year. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #350 on: January 11, 2009, 06:21 PM »
I'm not saying that they don't need a better WR.  Hixon is ok, but he's a better special teams guy.  I just don't think T.O. would be a good fit with the Giants.  Get a rookie before T.O.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 11, 2009, 07:16 PM »
As much as I hate the Eagles, I do kind of like the way that they're the last team from the East standing... given how at the start of the year we all got to hear about how the NFC East was the best division in football and how they'd be sending three teams to the playoffs... the Cowboys, Giants, and Redskins...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 11, 2009, 11:31 PM »
I'm not saying that they don't need a better WR.  Hixon is ok, but he's a better special teams guy.  I just don't think T.O. would be a good fit with the Giants.  Get a rookie before T.O.

Well they have rookies right now and no Owens...how'd that work out for them today?  Rookies are very rarely an instant success if at all.  If you're not looking at a free agent, then Giants fans should plan for their squad to enter a rebuilding phase.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #353 on: January 12, 2009, 02:03 AM »
There's a reason you hear about Owens the most...  He's the most vocal publicly, and teams he's been on have all thought he was worth the trouble.  How many changed their tune though? 

A lot of it is the club and how the team is run from the front office down I think...  Some want to take a risk on a guy that, as others have said, is a "proven cancer".  Do other guys disagree?  I'm sure, it's human nature, but other organizations make sure it's either nipped in the bud early, or that the players know their place and aren't given this free reign to run their mouth to the media and their coach, etc. 

TO's good, that's not the debate here, but I think it's pretty hard to ignore that he does cause public problems, and there's a HUGE difference between disagreeing with your teammates sometimes, and causing public drama by openly criticizing your team, your coaches, and your organization as a whole.  As I said, some organizations have taken the gamble that the play outweighs the attitude, and I think they get what they ultimately ask for I think...  Teams that respect the authority in the organization are teams that generally work better I think, but that's me.  It's a big reason Burress was not kept around Pittsburgh...  Also Randle El.  Some superstars we've had, had a mouth on them for sure, but if they hung around long it's because they knew to direct their mouth at the opponent, or not to say anything at all in the spotlight.

In other news...  Go f'n Steelers go! :)  Tore up San Diego, which was nice because there were some real prick Charger fans in Pittsburgh for the game whining about the cold and stuff.  The score didn't even do the game itself justice...  I wish I could run into the 3 guys from San Diego that were our Saturday night talking a load of ****.  I'm curious what they're thinking today a little more sober and a lot less happy they flew out here since it was more than the cold that bit them in the ass.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 12, 2009, 11:49 AM »

Well they have rookies right now and no Owens...how'd that work out for them today?  Rookies are very rarely an instant success if at all.  If you're not looking at a free agent, then Giants fans should plan for their squad to enter a rebuilding phase.

No way, this team is built to win next year.  Eli, Jacobs, Ward/Bradshaw, Tuck, Umenyiora.  We've got the parts.  They will ink a bigtime WR - if they can't finagle Owens, I think Houshmandzadeh or Boldin will be available.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 12, 2009, 12:44 PM »
No way, this team is built to win next year.  Eli, Jacobs, Ward/Bradshaw, Tuck, Umenyiora.  We've got the parts.  They will ink a bigtime WR - if they can't finagle Owens, I think Houshmandzadeh or Boldin will be available.

If either Boldin or Housmadilla is available, the Giants will have to outbid the Bucs for him. 

As for Jacobs and Ward... they're both free agents, I doubt they can re-sign both.

But yes, I expect the Giants to be good next year.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 12, 2009, 02:40 PM »

If either Boldin or Housmadilla is available, the Giants will have to outbid the Bucs for him. 

As for Jacobs and Ward... they're both free agents, I doubt they can re-sign both.

But yes, I expect the Giants to be good next year.

That's why I wrote it "Ward/Bradshaw", I'm assuming they are resigning Jacobs and then it'll be Bradshaw, because Ward will walk in a Michael Turner type situation.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 12, 2009, 02:44 PM »
There's a reason you hear about Owens the most...  He's the most vocal publicly, and teams he's been on have all thought he was worth the trouble.  How many changed their tune though? 

He's most vocal publicly?  He speaks at press conferences just like everybody else.  The reason you think he's publicly vocal is that the media covers everything he has to say.  There are hours upon hours of post game PC coverage each week.  Wee only see a small portion of this, but you can guarantee that we'll see anything Owens has to say.  The guy wants to win and gets upset when the team is not winning - wow, what a threat to the team.  

Giants fans, keep talking the talk because you're not going anywhere without some upgrades at receiver.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #358 on: January 12, 2009, 03:51 PM »
Yes, out of every player interviewed, the media ONLY ever focuses on TO, every Sunday, week-in-and-week-out...  Only Owens.  ;)

JMan, you don't live in a fantasy world, I know you know better...  Every Pittsburgh player every week is scrutinized by what he says in our local media...  The first time one of them says something dumb**** like, "Yeah, that was a tough loss and if our offensive-line would've stepped up and done their job, maybe we'd have won the game.", you better BELIEVE the local and national media are gonna jump on that player...  At the very least our local media would have a hard-on over it though...  but it doesn't happen often at all, or if it does it's immediately nipped in the bud by the organization. 

Why?

Because the Steeler organization doesn't put up with ******** like TO...  They CHOOSE to keep their players in line, like they should, and demand a certain level of respect out of them.  Case-in-point, Willie Parker bitched after I believe the game prior to our last of the season...  He was upset with the offensive coordinator, the play calling, and how he was being utlized.  He didn't say much, certainly nothing one would call outrageous, he just spoke his mind about the offense... 

Guess what?  He was apologizing the next day, and spinning it (poorly I might add) that he was misinterpreted...  THe organization snapped his ass back into reality, and deflated his ego.  It was less than a day before he was "rewording" his statement.  Hell, a big deal was made of a rookie sending a text message (allegedly, nobody's even sure this actually happened), and that guy caught major **** from the organization publicly.

Again...  TO's a great player, but you're nuts if you think he's the only guy scrutinized by the media...  He's not.  Every team's drama is like a drop of blood in shark-infested waters, and every team is being watched every week for that one dumb**** statement to come out...  TO's just made a habit of it.  That's not a mistake or coincidence.  He's an *******, he's critical of his teammates, and when you do that you make guys you have to rely on not really give a **** about you, your yards, your receptions, or your bonuses.

But that's fine, honestly.  I love the fact he'll float around to the teams that are willing (or desperate?  I think that was Dallas' reasoning) for a good player at the WR position, despite his attitude.  Other organizations are just smart enough to avoid it IMO.  Maybe he'd be a great fit in NY?  Maybe not...  I'm only sure he'll find something to bitch about at some point.  When we beat the Cowboys this season he was the only guy making a spectacle on the sidelines, yelling and bitching.  I guess that was just the media bias against TO though.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 12, 2009, 05:45 PM »
Just wanted to say that I think you are right on Jesse James with your last post. When you let a selfish ego maniac do whatever he wants he is going to rip your team apart. It's a lot more the organization's fault than it is the media.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within