Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2008  (Read 86628 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Regular Season 2008
« Reply #195 on: November 29, 2008, 11:38 AM »
Good points Jesse, and I think Burress has been brought down a peg or two.  Proof that the offense can score without him is humbling to say the least.

If I wee the coach of a team, I would expect my star players to be leaders and that would mean following all the rules.

Dude, if you wee the coach of a team, you don't need to tell us all about it.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 29, 2008, 12:14 PM »
Adding fuel to the fire - Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg last night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3733021

And the dumbass of the year award goes to...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 12:14 PM by Rob »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 29, 2008, 12:58 PM »
This guy should be playing for the Raiders or the Bengals.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #198 on: November 29, 2008, 06:45 PM »
What a dumbass.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 29, 2008, 11:02 PM »
This guy should be playing for the Raiders or the Bengals.

Or maybe not playing at all.  I bet that gunshot wound made his hamstring injury much improved.   ::)
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 30, 2008, 12:18 AM »
Not defending ol Plaxico at all...he's a model citizen when compared to Pac-Man Jones....and they're letting that a-hole play again!   ::)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2008, 09:19 AM »
If the league uses the same standard it did with Pac-Man (who I agree does not need to be in the league or walking about among us law abiding citizens) then Burress will be watching more football than playing next season.  And don't get me started on Ray Lewis.

Can't wait for the NY Giant spin doctor fans to start the excuse train IF they start losing though...even though they were the loudest to tell Cowboy fans to suck it up with the injury problems.

I assume NY will play better without him though.  In fact counting on it today.

What Burress really needs to concern himself with the legal side of this, taking a gun into a nightclub is usually illegal (even here in Texas).

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2008, 12:56 PM »
If the league uses the same standard it did with Pac-Man (who I agree does not need to be in the league or walking about among us law abiding citizens) then Burress will be watching more football than playing next season.  And don't get me started on Ray Lewis.

Can't wait for the NY Giant spin doctor fans to start the excuse train IF they start losing though...even though they were the loudest to tell Cowboy fans to suck it up with the injury problems.

I assume NY will play better without him though.  In fact counting on it today.

What Burress really needs to concern himself with the legal side of this, taking a gun into a nightclub is usually illegal (even here in Texas).

You have both guns AND nightclubs in Texas? 

;D

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2008, 08:56 PM »
I'm probably the biggest Giants fan in here and I won't make any excuses for Plaxico.  I would advise him to be smart and listen to his lawyers.

My big concern is Antonio Pierce.  He was out with him and did all he could to help by getting him to the hospital and trying to stop the bleeding.  He was also very cooperative with the police over the weekend.  There was talk today that he could also be charged, but I hope some dick prosecutor does not do that....Pierce is a stand up guy who was trying to do the right thing IMO.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2008, 09:42 PM »
99 yard TD to Berrian!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #205 on: December 1, 2008, 01:28 AM »
Why was Burress not allowed to have a gun, short of not owning a license to carry one?  Does he have a felony or something on him in the past that prevents him from getting a license or did he simply not obtain one to carry a concealed weapon?  I'm curious about that whole thing, just to know if he didn't get a license because he's lazy or because he legally couldn't own a firearm or something.

The whole story is lame, and I'd be immensely pissed that he was on my team taking up salara cap cash if he's going to do dickhead stuff like this.  I'm a firm believer in harsh discipline for pro athletes.  I think they should always be held to higher standards by their teams and leagues they are in.  And really, why are receivers such doofuses?  There seem to be more at that position than any other in the league.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 1, 2008, 01:37 AM »
He has a permit for the weapon, but not a permit in NY.  NY (NYC particularly) have very strict gun laws...he could be facing jail time.

I don't think the Giants will just cut him and leave it at that.  They care about the players there and will do everything they can to help him.  The Mara family is good about stuff like that.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2008, 01:37 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #207 on: December 1, 2008, 12:25 PM »
Man that's just dumb ****.  I will never get over these guys, with everything in their professional life being what it is, jeopordizing it for something so pointless.  It annoys me actually because they've got it so good and are seemingly intent on messing it up.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 1, 2008, 01:21 PM »
I think Jesse the reason is that some of these guys are just really stupid.  They've been coddled for a very long time going through because of their exceptional abilities.  I think that just sets them up with the expectation that they can get away with anything. 

I'm reluctant to suggest that all athletes are necessarily stupid, but there are days I think like that.  Thankfully there are a lot of exceptions and those with at least half a brain are in the majority.  As for why it is receivers more often that not, I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.  D guys seem pretty bad too.  Just a couple of exceptional athletes that are also exceptionally stupid. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 1, 2008, 01:26 PM »
He has a permit for the weapon, but not a permit in NY.  NY (NYC particularly) have very strict gun laws...he could be facing jail time.

I don't think the Giants will just cut him and leave it at that.  They care about the players there and will do everything they can to help him.  The Mara family is good about stuff like that.

IMO, you won't see Plaxico in a Giants uniform again.