Author Topic: Legacy Collection Battle Packs  (Read 52866 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Collection Battle Packs
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2009, 02:25 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if the Commando Droids in this BP are different from the basic figure release. They probably will be knowing them.

Actually I'm kind of curious to see if that Clone in the Commando Droid pack will actually the Commando Droid in Clone armor.  That would be something cool to do in that particular set.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2009, 02:32 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if the Commando Droids in this BP are different from the basic figure release. They probably will be knowing them.

Actually I'm kind of curious to see if that Clone in the Commando Droid pack will actually the Commando Droid in Clone armor.  That would be something cool to do in that particular set.

That would be pretty sweet, but I doubt they even considered it.  :-\
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2009, 04:45 PM »

That would be pretty sweet, but I doubt they even considered it.  :-\

Well, at least it looks like there's a extra clone helmet in there, which is something.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2009, 06:53 PM »
My major problem with these (and I know I'm beating a dead horse) is that Hasbro's trying to have their cake and eat it too with the Battle Packs.  First they dropped the fifth figure to keep the price at 20 bucks; then the figure is dropped but the price goes up anyway.  First they claimed oil prices as the reason for the cuts; now they're claiming "various factors" for the price increase but not including a fifth figure.  Now it looks like they're going even cheaper with two out of the four packs shown.

The Endor set looks to be the Imperial Officer that was dropped from the Shield Generator Assault pack, along with the 2003 Saga Ultra Ewok Glider, an Ewok that is likely repainted with a different hood, and (if they're being nice) the 2006 TSC Endor Luke accessories on the 2007 30AC Jabba's Palace Luke with a new (probably just painted) gloved hand. 

Hasbro's already announced that they're doing a single carded Commando Droid, and since all but two of the Clones in "Rookies" were shiny throughout (and since we're getting Echo and the helmet of the squad's commander in the basic line), unless this one has a droid head underneath, it's a wash and a waste of time.  And call me cynical, but with the third commando droid being so far back in the background, it wouldn't shock me at this point if Hasbro dropped the fourth figure either.

The Gunship Pods are basically Hasbro's way to make easy money off suckers like me who will buy two of the sets just to get the pods.  While I don't like the fact that there's only one pod in the set, what bothers me more at this point is that Hasbro won't even include regular Clone helmets along with the two pilots so we don't end up with a dearth of pilots buying multiple packs. 

The Gelagrub is the only real "winner" of these four in my book, and even so, 25 bucks for a single piece of plastic with a kitbashed Clone riding it is way overpriced.  Maybe if they threw in another 327th Trooper, and I might even give it to them if the Gelagrub is molded in translucent "jelly" plastic (even though it likely won't be, as that money is needed in the Saga Legends line to crank out more Saesee Tiins and Plo Koons), but when your "best" set is only barely passable...

Like Pete said, the days of getting a "deal" (for kids or collectors) with the Battle Packs are OVER.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2009, 07:18 PM »
I think they are deliberately gouging us with both the $8 basic figs and $25 bps.  The big spike in CW sales has reinforced the "movie year" mentality that we've seen before from Hasbro.  Once the sales are "opened up" by a big movie/media push that pulls in the non-collector, Hasbro cranks up the prices to best exploit their limited window of opportunity of selling to the non-core fan audience.  They know the CW rage will eventually die down, and that then they'll be left with us collector types.  That's the point when you'll see prices drop across the line.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2009, 07:43 PM »
I think they are deliberately gouging us with both the $8 basic figs and $25 bps.  The big spike in CW sales has reinforced the "movie year" mentality that we've seen before from Hasbro.  Once the sales are "opened up" by a big movie/media push that pulls in the non-collector, Hasbro cranks up the prices to best exploit their limited window of opportunity of selling to the non-core fan audience.  They know the CW rage will eventually die down, and that then they'll be left with us collector types.  That's the point when you'll see prices drop across the line.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lower prices have generally happened at the same time as movie releases.  $4.99 ROTS figures in 2005 come to mind.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2009, 08:56 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lower prices have generally happened at the same time as movie releases.  $4.99 ROTS figures in 2005 come to mind.

Honestly now that you say that I can't be sure.  I would have sworn that during some of the prequels prices were jacked up only to fall off after a period of time.  Didn't we see $7.99 figures once before?  During TPM, per chance?  Maybe the ROTS pricing was a reaction to slower sales from the previous prequels... Ugh I really can't remember now...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2009, 09:47 PM »
Yeah that happened with EI, it was the first time we saw $8 figures (Target only I think) and prices settled back down shortly after.  But I think EII and EIII both saw $4.99 for midnight madness with prices going up a month or three later.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2009, 10:28 PM »
Prices for AOTC and ROTS actually started out at $6 and then fell to $5, at least around here (Iowa).  I think these BP's are among the least exciting they've ever offered.  The Gela Grub one or whatever it is is a Deluxe figure.  The Ewok one is a waste of a good opportunity.  I can't add anything to the turret debate.  If collectors start to depart the line in large numbers because of prices, maybe it will have an impact, but maybe not.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2009, 01:26 AM »
The only thing I have a problem with is their prices on these sets.  I have been crying about prices on figures and other items for awhile now so it's not that surprising or upsetting to me.  You can't really expect me to believe that the retailers are the ones setting the prices.  I am sure Hasbro has a bit of input with it.  I actually like the gelagrub and trooper.  The battle of endor set is ok except for Luke but they can't resist throwing a Luke into anything and everything.  The commando droid set is decent if you like the Clone Wars.  If you do then most would want at least 2 of those figures anyway.  If you buy them seperately that's $7.50-$8 allready.  Of course the gunner set hurts because we only get 1 pod.  I really don't need 2 more clonepilots but oh well.  I am not going to buy all of these packs but there is something in each pack that tempts me honestly. 

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2009, 08:15 AM »
Personally I don't have an issue with the inclusion of the 2 pilots in the Geonosis set. Sure, if they would have thrown in the standard grunt helmet it would have been nice, but I have so many standard clones that I've picked up army building that outfitting the turrets won't be an problem. I rather have the extra pilot as those have been released far more sparingly (only in Evolution sets) and the gunship needs a pilot and co-pilot/gunner anyway.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2009, 10:21 AM »
As previously stated, yeah, the Imperial officer is obviously the dropped one from the bunker set. The set just screams of being thrown together just to get this figure released. I just wish it was done better - I didn't know Luke took part in the Ewok battle.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2009, 02:25 PM »
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 06:45 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2009, 01:21 AM »
Awful stuff...

The Endor set has to be one of the biggest pieces of crap since the original 2005 Battle Packs. We should have gotten the Ewok Glider, a second Ewok, a Stormtrooper and a Biker Scout. Maybe even instead of the Ewok, put in the VOTC Chewie with a vine to swing on and do Tarzan yells. Instead we get the Glider, an Imperial Officer (the one dropped from the previous Endor pack?) which I believe were all hiding in the bunker when the battle happened (correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen ROTJ in a while) and Luke, who was nowhere near Endor when the battle happened. Yeah, excellent choices Hasbro!

I don't watch the Clone Wars cartoon (not on at a good time for me and I'm waiting for the DVD season set) and don't buy the figures so no comment

The Felucia Battle Pack should not even be a Battle Pack, but would be a perfect start for a new Deluxe line with a $12-$13 price point. Throw in an extra Clone or two (or a second slug and clone to make it similar to those Speeder Bike battle packs) and it would be fair but I'm not going to drop almost $25 on a nonarticulate blue slug that had a second of screen time.

The Gunship Battle Pack, eh I can't complain really since I'll buy two for my Gunship. Although with the price increase we should either get 2 pods and 1 clone or maybe a regular Clone figure thrown in.

Still though that Endor set... has to be one of the funniest POS sets we've ever gotten. I can't wait to have it clogging shelves.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2009, 01:52 AM »
Some officers were outside the bunker when the battle happened...  Still not a great figure in and of itself, so I'm not gonna bite on that one just to get that and the Ewok.

The Gelagrub and Gunship pod are the only things I'm sure I'll buy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77