Author Topic: Indiana Jones in Legacy?  (Read 6662 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Indiana Jones in Legacy?
« on: September 18, 2008, 10:17 PM »
Just curious...it looks like the Indiana Jones line is dead, and the wave Hasbro showed at Comic-Con will never come out.  Many of you don't collect IJ, but how would you feel if Hasbro packed 1 (2x) IJ figure in each case of Legacy? ( Simialr to what they do with Galactica in Titanium...)

Personally, I love the current IJ figures, and would be all over this idea.

Any thoughts?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Indiana Jones in Legacy?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:18 PM »
It's a brilliant idea which, naturally, means Hasbro would never go for it.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 11:02 PM »
It's a brilliant idea which, naturally, means Hasbro would never go for it.

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts exactly. :-\

I'd love to see Hasbro do whatever it takes to keep the Indy line alive in one way or another, even if it means just one or two figures in a wave of Star Wars stuff.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 08:15 AM »
I think its a great idea.  ;D
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 08:57 AM »
I like that idea as well, but as others have said, it probably won't happen.  Plus, I'm sure there would be some who aren't interested in Indy at all that would complain.  It would be nice if we could at least get that first 2009 wave (Raiders) in some form, either this way or via HTS (even at a bit higher price).  I think Hasbro would be surprised how many collectors would want to pick these up.  The Indy figs just weren't a big hit with kids (probably outside of an Indy fig here or there most likely), and its obviously a collector line even more so than something like Star Wars.  I think if they made it available, it would sell pretty well either online or in these case packs.  Just look how often (and how long) the Last Crusade wave has been sold out on HTS.  Someone's buying those.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 09:17 AM »
I dunno. I'm not sure the line is dead. Sure, there are lots on the shelves, but it's mostly Mutt and I'm sure the plan was to not expect SW type sales.

That said, I think the idea of packing IJ figs in SW cases is kind of weird. Yet, intriguing.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 10:30 AM »
I like the idea of mixing Indy into SW, but that is probably because I'm an Indy collector and I'd like to see the line continue. 

The problem for Indy would be all the non-Indy collectors out there.  I would think that the majority of Star Wars collectors would probably just bitch about Indy stealing a slot from a Jabba alien / Cantina monster / background character. 

I mean, think about how much people bitch about the occasional EU figure in a wave and then imagine those boo-birds being told they were going to start getting stuff that isn't even Star Wars in place of a new OT figure in a wave.  People already bitch about there not being enough OT stuff, imagine how they will react to not getting Wioslea because we were getting White Suit Belloq instead.  I think it's safe to say that it would probably piss off more people than it would excite. 

And then there would be the on-line bitching that will occur when the Star Wars pegs are clogged with an Indy pegwarmer - how frustrating will it be for those non-Indy folks when they can't find new SW figures beacuse their local pegs are clogged with tons of White Suit Belloq?  :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 10:58 AM »
I think it's safe to say that it would probably piss off more people than it would excite. 

I agree.  I'm already teetering on dropping Star Wars figs after Legacy, but I'd go out in a heartbeat if Hasbro started mixing in other lines.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 11:51 AM »
I honestly think it's not a good idea.  While you have the same design/marketing/production team working on both lines, they do have distinctly different collector bases.  And the pegwarming of KOTCS figures shows me that the Indy line doesn't have the retail legs of Star Wars.  Because for all of the revisionist complaining we've seen from fans over the prequel movies, the figures sold well.  With Indy and the most recent movie being somewhat lackluster?  I think the poor sentiment for the movie might have translated to the toy line.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 09:45 PM »
I don't think it has to do with KOTCS's performance.  The movie did 316 million. Iron man made 318 and people only said amazing things about it.  I just don't think kids get that into Indy.  To me, it's a very different type of franchise than SW.  But I want more!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 10:56 PM »
Yeah, kids really are not into Indy. His time was back in the 80's.  It's just us old fogies going for this line for the most part.  I am sure some kids bought Indy himself.  They certainly have their pick of which Indy to get.  There really was zilch in KOTCS for kids to get excited for other than Indy himself.  They would have to actually like a 20-30 year old film.  That's asking quite a bit really.  Star Wars can do it but Indy would have a hard time. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 09:50 AM »
The kids might not be that into indy since the KOTCS was nothing great. If if was ROTLA quality, it might be a different story.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 09:56 AM »
The kids might not be that into indy since the KOTCS was nothing great. If if was ROTLA quality, it might be a different story.

I was wondering that myself actually.  The quality issue might be true, but I'm wondering if this generation of kids just don't get into that "period piece" type of thing as much as we did as kids.  Movies have changed a lot, with tons more releases in a week/month/year, as well as kids having a big fascination with animated or CG effects laden movies.  I wonder how many kids were really interested in Indiana Jones, aside from having parents who were/are into it.  That said, one of my nephews recently asked for (and received) the LEGO Indiana Jones game and was quite excited for it, but hasn't seen a minute of any of the movies and doesn't own any of the toys.  Part of me even starts to wonder how familiar the kids of today are with the Original Trilogy, again unless their parents own/watch it.  Sure, they know the constants like R2/3PO/Vader/Falcon, etc., but I think they're more familiar with Anakin, young Obi-Wan, and Padme than they are with Han/Luke/Leia.  Who knows though, its tough to say.  Back to the original discussion though, I do think that kid sales for the Indy line were really pretty limited, at least from my experience.  I'm guessing an Indy and that's about it for most kids.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 11:50 AM »
  And the pegwarming of KOTCS figures shows me that the Indy line doesn't have the retail legs of Star Wars. 

Not sure this is a fair statement.  Yarna is sitting her fat ass on the pegs everywhere I've been.  Yet we all screamed and bitched for years to get it.  It's a total crapshoot and people will bitch no matter what. 

I think both Nick and Jeff make very valid points regarding complaints, but there really isn't much suprise in that is there?  There will be complaints regardless and if Hasbro were to actually do these at 1x per case then the issues would be far less of a concern to Star Wars collectors.  Sure, white suit Belloq is going to sit at 2x per case, but not one.  Personally I'd rather have the opportunity to struggle and probably overpay for a short packed figure than to not get it at all.  I think if it is done properly ( ::)) then it can work without too much aggravation.  But it'll never happen. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Yarna is sitting her fat ass on the pegs everywhere I've been.  Yet we all screamed and bitched for years to get it.  It's a total crapshoot and people will bitch no matter what.   

Yep.