Author Topic: JD Fantasy Basketball 2008-09  (Read 16020 times)

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Basketball 2008-09
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2008, 06:19 PM »
Yao, not so much.  He scares me like McGrady scares me (but we're talking about 3rd vs 9th round).  The potential is absolutely awesome, but at what point during the season does he miss 25 games?  He's a better pure center than anyone I have no doubt, but too iffy for me.  I don't see myself ever drafting Yao, at least not until he lasts a whole season (mind you Camby had the same rap last year too). 

i had mcgrady the past 2 years.  he played plenty to be worth it to me.  yao on the other hand i picked up in a trade after he sat out forever and he never played worth a damn the whole rest of the season.  i don't think i would pick him.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 12:14 PM »
Yao, not so much.  He scares me like McGrady scares me (but we're talking about 3rd vs 9th round).  The potential is absolutely awesome, but at what point during the season does he miss 25 games?  He's a better pure center than anyone I have no doubt, but too iffy for me.  I don't see myself ever drafting Yao, at least not until he lasts a whole season (mind you Camby had the same rap last year too). 

i had mcgrady the past 2 years.  he played plenty to be worth it to me.  yao on the other hand i picked up in a trade after he sat out forever and he never played worth a damn the whole rest of the season.  i don't think i would pick him.

Well I would pick him. He's been good for 55 games for the last 3 years, and last year for those 55 games he was the BEST center in the NBA.  25 PPG, 2 BLK, 11 REB, 52% FG, 85% FT.  Try finding that for a center.  So even if you plug Yao in for 55 games at center and then your backup for the remainder, that's still an oustanding option.  Trust me I know, I used Yao for 55 games last year and a combination of Kendrick Perkins and Ronnie Turiaf for the remainder.  And I won.

The proof is in the pudding.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 8, 2008, 02:03 AM »
Just when I was starting to think my team might be decent, I lost my starting PG and PF today.   :'(

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 12:29 AM »
And it continues.

Josh Smith is still out two to four more weeks with a high ankle sprain.

Tony Parker is still out with the same injury.

Shawn Marion broke his nose, missed some games with a pulled groin, and is wearing a protective mask.

Danny Granger got both of his front teeth knocked out in a game a few weeks ago.

Mehmet Okur's father is dying and he's in Turkey until further notice.

Leandro Barbosa's mother died and he's in South America until further notice.

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 12:58 PM »
Would I be breaking any rule or etiquette if I asked in this thread or in the Yahoo league if anyone would like to trade for my player "X" with a player to help out in my team's weaker statistical categories?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2008, 01:39 PM »
Not at all - work your trades any way you can and the league will veto it if there's anything inequitable.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2008, 01:41 PM »
How does the vetoing work?  Does it just take one vote to reject a trade?

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2008, 09:32 AM »
How does the vetoing work?  Does it just take one vote to reject a trade?

I believe it has to be vetoed by majority of the league for the trade not to go through.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Three vetoes are required to block a trade.  It will only happen if a trade is seen to be unfairly favoring one party or another (stacking a particular players roster).  Chris Paul for Delonte West probably wouldn't fly.  Chris Paul for Chauncey Billups probably would, but I'd question the sanity of the player giving away Paul even though I'm a huge fan of Billups.  It needs to be seen as benefitting both teams in some way. 

The only trade thus far this year was Antawn Jamison for Brandon Roy.  I was after a bigger body and offered up a point guard as I felt I had an abundance of them.  It probably helped they went one after another in the draft too but I'd suggest it was a fair trade for players of reasonably stature.  You can do the same with a two for one that appears fair or whatever works for you. 

As Rob said, work the trade however you like and what works best for you.  You can also just list players available by setting them to the trading block on your page.  You can also specify what you're looking for and trade offers may come in that way.  But this thread may get the widest response. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

Morgbug, that trading block feature is exactly what I needed.

I haven't used Richard Hamilton this season and was going to drop him and add another player to help out my other not so good stats.  I didn't feel like I was getting enough value in return on the drop/add, so that's why I posed the question.  I was looking for some consistent help and boost in the 3pt, steals, rebounds, and/or blocks categories (probably in that priority too).  My #1 concern should be my turnovers, but most of my team loves to give the ball away, and I'm not sure how I can stop the bleeding.

I've not done a trade before, so I'd love to give it a try...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 11:10 AM »
Can some more of my players get traded or injured please?  I'm hoping the Richardson trade proves more beneficial than the AI trade was ::)  Could my top two picks suck more?  I don't think so.  Note to self - it's ok to take Nowitzki.   :-[

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2008, 12:41 PM »
Note to self - it's ok to take Nowitzki.   :-[

You'll need to dig deep and summon the intestinal fortitude to endure 25 PPG, 9 RPG, a 46-50% FG, 90% FT, a few assists and about a trey, steal, and block per game.

It's really not for the weak of heart.  If you want to be safe, you better draft Kobe, King James, or CP3.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2008, 11:00 PM »
There goes Brand ::) :'(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Well, seems we're very near the halfway point of the season, so I feel a need to complain. 

I'll take full blame for taking Brand and injuries happen.  I bought into the hype about him being a beast in the East and it never happened.  He should be back this weekend but I'm finding it hard to get excited about that anyway.  I'd be ecstatic with 20/10 but I don't think it's going to happen. 

Iverson - I took him as a guy that would put up points, say 25 ppg or so.   ::)  I never thought of him as a true PG (that's why I took Roy/Miller).  What I didn't see happening was a trade to a defensively oriented team averaging 90 ppg.  Ouch.  Iverson goes from second round scoring guy to also ran 7th rounder. 

Speaking of trades, how'd you like to have a guy slotted for small forward that is the go-to guy on his team get traded into a slow down offense as a role player?  Holy crap, could they make it any worse for Richardson?  My fourth round, team scoring leader gets shipped off to the formerly high flying suns as a perimeter scorer where they weren't really short of that in the first place.  Another kick in the nuts. 

Traded away Roy for Jamison and I'm happy with the trade for the most part.  In the end I don't think it makes much difference, it's just coming from a different position.  Big Al Jefferson rocks, I love that guy.  T-Mac is doing what I figured, being hurt, so no waste of a 9th rounder there. I can hope for more but I ain't holding my breath. 

No, my hopes are resting with Mike Dunleavy and Monta Ellis  :-X  If, and a monstrous IF it is, they get back to their form of last season (say by the allstar break or so), all of a sudden I'm still in this.  If that happens, I'm solid again and have to begin a long climb and hope some folks get hurt on other teams. 

PG - Miller
SG - Ellis
SF - Dunleavy
PF - Jamison
C - Jefferson
Util - swapping in Brand/Hilario and some combination of scoring guards Bell/Richardson/McGrady/Ridnour/Rose (who I think ran out of steam about 1/3 of the way into the season)

I'm not liking the view from the bottom and I'll shoulder my share of the blame, but those two trades sucked arse.   >:(

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Redd's gone for the year.  Arenas is probably not coming back.  Calderon, please stay healthy.  David West, please get rid of those back problems.