Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season One Discussion Thread  (Read 82118 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The Clone Wars - Season One Discussion Thread
« on: October 3, 2008, 08:13 PM »
Just thought I'd start up a place for us to discuss the new weekly series, starting tonight.  Two new episodes scheduled for tonight: "Ambush" featuring Yoda and some clones, and "Rising Malevolence" featuring Anakin, Ahsoka, and Plo Koon...and I'm guessing some more clones :).  Anyways, feel free to discuss the series here, for those who are watching.  I also just read that the episodes will be available for download on itunes starting tomorrow (new one each week), for $1.99 each.  Just as a heads up for everyone, if interested.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:33 PM by Jeff »

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Series Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2008, 08:16 PM »
Cool, I'm looking forward to it! ;D
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 3, 2008, 10:18 PM »
Hmmm...I think that like the movie, there are gonna be some mixed reviews for the show. I personally think it was very enjoyable, very entertaining, and a solid effort to please fans, but not without a couple tiny flaws here and there.

"Ambush" - I loved seeing Master Yoda in this one, his personality really seemed more Empire Strikes Back-ish in this episode than it did in any of the prequels and that was very nice to see. It worked well without seeming too forced. Very, very enjoyable. The ending with the clones' last shot hitting the rocks to destroy the droidekas was pretty awesome. I also liked how Yoda kicked Ventress' ass at the end so effortlessly and how she had to chicken out very similar to the way Dooku chickened out at the end of AOTC. Overall it was pretty excellent, with one exception...the battle droids. Unlike many others, I loved their little moments in the movie and thought they were hysterical; but in both episodes tonight they just went on and on and on and on. It got VERY annoying, and I'm worried that won't be going away any time soon. I still loved them in the movie...but again, it'll get pretty boring week after week.

So yeah, this episode gets an A-. I would've given it a B, but Yoda was just so good in this episode, and I was really happy with that. :)

"Rising Malevolence" - This one was a bit of a mixed bag for me. Not nearly as good as "Ambush," that's for sure. I was pleased with Plo Koon's character, and it was nice to finally hear him talk. I was equally pleased to see General Grievous back to being almost as badass as he was in the first series, after being kind of a bummer in ROTS. Anakin and Ahsoka, well, they're Anakin and Ahsoka. Ahsoka's always gonna bug a lot of people. I think she's tolerable, and her relationship with Anakin was actually fun to watch in this episode. However, this episode was a little boring compared to the previous episode and became a little predictable after a while.

Overall, it was still entertaining. B-.

« Last Edit: October 3, 2008, 10:27 PM by David »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 3, 2008, 10:49 PM »
I liked both episodes, although I have to say I liked Yoda's episode more.  I really liked how they incorporated some of his mannerisms from ESB into the character being portrayed in this episode.  Well done overall, and I'm looking forward to more of the stories they showed clips from tonight (like the Kit Fisto/Mon Cal episode).
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #4 on: October 3, 2008, 11:13 PM »
I actually liked the Battledroid humor.  To me, they seem really demented, not just silly.  Especially during the lifepod hunting scene.  That made them a little scary in my eyes.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2008, 12:16 AM »
I absolutely loved Ambush, the other one was alright.

Not a huge fan of the amount and length of commercials >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: October 4, 2008, 01:27 AM »
Yeah, commercials blow and detract from it but such is TV I guess.

I loved it though...  Both episodes were good, and the pattern I'm seeing is something akin to the 2D toons.  Seems to me that they'll be taking a linear story and breaking it up (IE: the story of the CW Movie getting episodes here and there that continue that storyline), while other episodes will seemingly stand on their own similar to the CW2D series that had many little "single" shows that didn't tie together really.

Ambush was incredible...  It was classic Yoda goodness, being Yoda.  The droid humor I don't mind and think it's good for kids, plus it's fun making it clear that droids = dumb compared to sentient beings.  I loved how Yoda treated the Clones as though they were "children" he wanted to teach and broaden their lives and minds.  It's reminiscent of the way the Clones are (and are treated) in the Republic Commando series of books.  It also expands on the notion that the Clones are genuinely cared about by the Jedi, and that makes their "turn" oh so tragic in ROTS.  It's the kind of detail that really adds to the movies.

The second episode that was sort of a continuation of the movie (sorta) was cool and seems like it is going to be a part of a greater, longer, story arc.  I loved the droid hunters in space, and they really were sadistic, I agree.  The gruesome death of the Clones was pretty neat too...  I found that very adult for the series and cool.

And who knew Plo Koon was going to be made into one of the bad ass Jedi?  I mean the guy never does **** in the movies but now he's a mean mofo, and a cool Jedi kids are gonna go nuts over.

My gf's youngest loved it and already was saying, "I want _______ to be made" for various things from specific Clones to droids to separatists and weapons and stuff.  The mark of a true well crafted toy sales driver I suppose.

And how many toys did you see possible in just these two episodes yourselves as collectors?  I saw tons of crap...  Anakin's Freighter would be something I cannot imagine they won't make at this point. 

And does anyone else want Toydarian Troops?  I know I do.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2008, 08:08 AM »
I loved both episodes as well. I was more partial to the Yoda one though, it felt like the Yoda from my childhood mixed with the ferocious Yoda from EII & EIII. The clones continue to impress with their firepower, their individual demeanor and their in-the-field banter. I love the "clankers" and "rollers" call outs regarding the droids and the Droidekas.

The second episode was chock full of ESB nods and I think was gears toward the older viewer. I like the reference to Han "this one goes there, that one goes there line" the revelation of the "Ion Cannon" technology and Ahsoka's and Master Plo's sensing each other through the force like Leia and Luke. Plus the Pod "1977" easter egg was cute too.

As for the toys, 2 episodes in and there's a season's worth of potential.
- the Yoda's cruiser pilot with the Jango-esque head gear
- the green/yellow deco battle droids
- Commander Thire for sure
- Master Plo's Clones (Wolfee, Boost etc.)
- All the Toydarians
- Holo Dooku
- the Twilight

I'm sure there are more but definitely enough the sustain the CW subline.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: October 4, 2008, 08:54 AM »
I thought Ambush was great, and excellant way to start off the series. The second episode was good, but not as good as the first.

I also enjoy the battle droids.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 4, 2008, 09:15 AM »
Pretty much what others have said, I liked them both - but really loved the Ambush episode.  I wish we would have seen a little more of that OT-ish Yoda in the prequels, and this episode had a great mix of the mischievious Yoda and the badass lightsaber wielding one.  I liked how easily he took care of Asaaj, and enjoyed his interactions with his trio of clones as well.

The second episode was good too.  Plo Koon has always been my favorite "background Jedi", so it was nice to see him get some attention (and speak).  I figured they would try to make him pretty cool with Dave Filoni's well-known love of him - and it came off pretty well.  I also noticed the OT nods, and you can see how the show can/will skirt the line between kids and adults with the fairly dark clone/officer death scenes.  I didn't mind the droid humor/goofiness that much either, but I can see how it would get to be a little much for some people.  I kind of viewed it as crazy/sadistic too, as mentioned earlier.  Overall though, a couple of good episodes, and I know I'll be tuning in every week.  Oh, and lots of toy potential already, like you guys mentioned.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 4, 2008, 11:01 AM »
Yeah, between the Toydarians, the clones, and the new battle droid decos, I'd be up for at least two "Ambush"-themed battle packs. :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #11 on: October 4, 2008, 11:11 AM »
Guys...the toy "wants" from this show are going to unlike anything we've ever seen.  Look at us, after two epsides we're already making lists!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 4, 2008, 11:34 AM »
Yeah, both episodes were really good!  I already like it better than the Tartakovsky micro-series because it seems to follow a more realistic dynamic (things like Mace Windu "flying" and Yoda causing enormous ships to crash in the cartoon was over the top).  Here, a small battalion of droids and tanks were giving Yoda a little more challenge, which ties in better to the films.  Loved the classic Yoda theme as he's talking to the clones in their cave.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars 3D
« Reply #13 on: October 4, 2008, 01:25 PM »
We don't get the cartoon till tomorrow night & I think it's only 1 episode, I just watched these on someplace called internets. The copies are great & so is the sound & no commercials.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 4, 2008, 01:31 PM »
We don't get the cartoon till tomorrow night & I think it's only 1 episode, I just watched these on someplace called internets. The copies are great & so is the sound & no commercials.

As for the show, both were great, really digging the 3 stooges route with the battle droids as with Anakin & Ahsoka which reminds kinda me of Laurel & Hardy. Plo Koon just kicks ass!