Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season One Discussion Thread  (Read 82527 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Series Discussion Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 3, 2009, 06:18 PM »
Overall a rather disappointing episode. I think it suffered from main-character-itis: an episode that focuses on characters whose "destiny" is already planned out i.e. Obi-Wan and Anakin. I much prefer the episodes that tell stories of 2nd and 3rd tier characters who's stories have yet to be told.

Also I didn't like the whole Pirates of the Caribbean meets Star Wars arc with the pirate Weequay although I did like their flying saucer type ships.   

I guess we'll have to see how this plays out in the next episode. I'm not liking the Sith and Jedi team up to escape plot device. It seems way too formulaic - even for Star Wars.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 3, 2009, 07:49 PM »
Nice to see that General Loathsom may be returning in a prequel episode to the movie.

That was my question. ;D

Though I can't see why they just can't have him escape, or be rescued from Republic custody. ???
« Last Edit: January 3, 2009, 07:51 PM by Rune Haako »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 3, 2009, 08:15 PM »
I liked the episode for the most part.  Seemed to be more "adult" themed IMO.  Can't wait for the conclusion.  Getting VERY sick of Obi-Wan's repetitive teachings to Anakin and his oh, here we go again crap though.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 4, 2009, 02:38 AM »
I have no idea when we get the show back on telly up here but I did manage to catch Dooku Captured online. So space pirates... meh, looked like another episode filler to me & it kinda ran slow. Will see how this ends next time with Jar Jar.  :D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #184 on: January 5, 2009, 01:52 AM »
I actually really liked the episode, only because I enjoyed the expansion of Obi/Ani's relationshp...  We see them i nthe films, but ultimately we only see them briefly "having a good time".  Otherwise they're almost advesarial, as in the movies there's frequent disagreemnts and things...

In the cartoon we see them in a more playful setting, having adventures...  I like that a lot. 

I also liked the pirates...  Pirates in SW EU have sorta always been like just a transplant of piracy here on Earth, so I dig it.  They weren't really over the top I thought, as they're all in their spacey looking gear, have a definitely cool ship, and they just seem like a roving band of opportunists.  Had they tried to make them sound silly, saying things like "Arrr matey" and stuff, then I 'd have been rolling my eyes.

That waid, I agree with you Jayson, on next week's episode.  I don't dig the thought of Dooku working with Ani/Obi to escape, and I really think Jar Jar should be left to that one episode, and be done.  Though he was somehow more tolerable as a cartoon, and his constantly calling 3PO "Threeso" was funny...  But yeah, I'm seeing next week's episode as trying to infuse the kiddie element into a 2-parter that started out with a good adult tone to it (the Weequay grabbed the waitresses ass, that was funny and he got slapped for it.  That's the little stuff I dig about the series).

Next week could be a downer.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 5, 2009, 04:39 PM »
This week's episode was definitely a step backwards.  "Lair of General Grievous" was such a strong episode in comparison.  And for the show to take it's holiday break and come back to this?  Hmmm.  The only thing that it might have going for it is that it's the first episode of a multi-episode story arc.  There's the potential for it to get better.  But with Jar Jar showing up in the coming attractions?  We'll see.  I think the Ryloth storyline might be a lot better than the pirate story.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 8, 2009, 08:21 AM »
I actually really liked the episode, only because I enjoyed the expansion of Obi/Ani's relationshp...  We see them i nthe films, but ultimately we only see them briefly "having a good time".  Otherwise they're almost advesarial, as in the movies there's frequent disagreemnts and things...

In the cartoon we see them in a more playful setting, having adventures...  I like that a lot.

That's what I enjoyed about this episode as well.  Obi-Wan's my favorite character of the prequels, so its nice to see his character used a little more (as its mostly been in holos and brief cameos so far).  I'm with others where I usually enjoy seeing the 2nd/3rd tier Jedi more often, but its nice to see the big guns every so often too.  Like Jesse mentioned, I liked seeing Obi-Wan and Anakin "get along" and have some fun adventures - something that I feel was missing in the prequels for the most part.  You didn't get a real big sense that they were actual "brothers" or best friends, as they seemed to be more adversarial most of the time, like Jesse said.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2009, 12:00 AM »
I really liked this week's episode.

The Weequay pirates are extremely awesome ;D, and (dare I say it) Jar Jar's actually somewhat enjoyable in the cartoon. :-X

I also thought that the interaction between Anakin/Obi-Wan/Dooku wasn't entirely as horrible as it could've been, but I still don't like that they came in post-AOTC/pre-ROTS contact with Dooku at all. :P
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:01 AM by David »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2009, 04:39 PM »
I'm beginning to agree that they need to cut back on the Dooku/Ani/Obi interaction...  Or at least cut back on Ani interacting with him.  It's bugging me slightly.

Jar Jar is better as a cartoon, which is sort of ironic.

I liked this week's episode as well...  I think the Weequay were pretty snazzy and it sorta set them up to reappear it seems.  Pirates are pirates I guess, and not too dissimilar from real world pirates on Earth. :)  Their ship(s) kicked ass.  I liked the design.

I thought the interaction with Dooku, while getting a bit much (too much connection), was still funny and entertaining.  I thought they genuinely pulled it off better than I thought they would.  Likewise with Jar Jar...  he seemed almost remotely intelligent, and had a touch of humanity he didn't have in the films I noticed (burrying the Gran senator, actually having an idea and workign with the Clones...  Like they said, "he's smarter than he looks".).  It's funny that the cartoon people did more with Jar than Lucas could ever have pulled off.

THis episode had a lot of just fun Star Warsy stuff to it...  The animals, the pirates, the "humor".  It redeemed the last episode's shortcomings I think, and makes for one good 2-parter together IMO.

I can't honestly say I've been disappointed in the series at all.  It is above par, and I think compiled it'll appeal more to me than E1 (for sure) or E2 perhaps.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2009, 07:05 PM »
Not a bad episode. Funny, I was watching the Last Starfighter late last night & one of the ships reminded me of the pirate saucer.

Best line... He's smarter than he looks!  :D

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2009, 08:13 PM »
I enjoyed Friday night's episode just as much as the others.  JarJar is obviously in here for comic relief and he fits MUCH better here than he ever did in the movies - even though he's still over the top (dumbass).  Seems like they voiced him with a different actor this time. 

I liked the ending though.  Shows the good side of the Jedi and the bad side of what will inevitably happen to the Weequay's home.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2009, 11:41 PM »
Not a bad episode. Funny, I was watching the Last Starfighter late last night & one of the ships reminded me of the pirate saucer.

I assume you mean the ship Alex and Grig was chasing through the asteroid cavern? I thought the same thing.  ;D
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2009, 02:36 AM »
...I still don't like that they came in post-AOTC/pre-ROTS contact with Dooku at all. :P

The entire reason why I didn't like it.

And leaving the pirates alone at the end.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phantom-like Menace

• Youngling
  • The hammer is my penis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2009, 02:20 AM »
I won't comment too much on the most recent two episodes, since most of my thoughts have been covered. I'm in the camp that thought the episodes were okay, not much to laud, not much to loathe. I'm really looking forward to the coming episode. The previews didn't really make Aayla feel important to the episode, but descriptions seem to imply she's going to get almost as much to do as Luminara in her episode.

It would be nice to see more previously established background and EU Jedi like Bultar Swan, Qunilan Vos, K'Kruhk or maybe even some more obscure ones.. I don't care if it's just a shot of a crowd of Jedi full of Easter egg cameos.
I hate softgoods!!!

You're making me apathetic. You won't like me when I'm apathetic. I get big, green, and don't give a ****.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2009, 04:00 AM »
Agreed, that it would be nice to see some non-film EU Jedi and other characters come up.  Vos and others are popular enough you'd think they'd slip them in at least with cameos.  Maybe not centered characters as kids relate more to the movies than the EU of course, but little cameos would be great for some of those characters in the series.  It'd tie the EU into the, well, EU as well.