Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season One Discussion Thread  (Read 82109 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Series Discussion Thread
« Reply #255 on: February 15, 2009, 01:26 PM »
So are they just re-running "Ambush" next week?

Yeah, hence the double episode this week. Still yoda is badass.  ;D

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 15, 2009, 05:14 PM »

Agreed! "Ambush" is a terrific episode and still one of my favorites. ;D
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2009, 01:02 AM »

Agreed! "Ambush" is a terrific episode and still one of my favorites. ;D

Is that the one that was shown on TNT (I think) after the NBA Slam Dunk Contest?  Yoda and his three 3 red clones, one being Thire, has to deal with Ventress.  Yep, Yoda kicked butt in that entire episode.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2009, 01:54 AM »
I got to watch these Saturday night finally... 

First, Jar Jar isn't that bad to me in the cartoon...  He's an idiot, but he somehow seems better than he was in the film.  Maybe it's the context of cartoons that helps him be less annoying to me, I don't know.  He doesn't add anything, nor does he take away to me, so I'm not bothered by him.  His first episode was his best though...  He's become more like he's crowbarred in lately.

Second, I thought the overall story of the 2 episodes was good...  I found the evil dr. (with a German accent...  developing biogenics to cause mass destruction...  Was this guy plucked out of a WW2 history book?) much more annoying than Jar was, actually.  But the story I thought was pretty decent...  It would've been nice had it been a Neimoidian as the evil dr. though, just so you could tie it to why he's on Naboo, maybe seeking revenge or whatever.

Third, I really dug Anakin and Obi-Wan at odds with one another.  Anakin's flip in ROTS becomes more believable when you see some of the "depth" to it.

I thought the moon planet place with the bad kid was kind of funny actually, and had a great Star Warsy feel to it.  I do think this series could stand some good sized space battles.  I know someone else mentioned that and I agree wholeheartedly.  They've lacked that for the most part so far.  The 2D toon even gave us that, so it'd be nice to see in the 3D one.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2009, 09:57 AM »
I got to watch these Saturday night finally... 

First, Jar Jar isn't that bad to me in the cartoon...  He's an idiot, but he somehow seems better than he was in the film.  Maybe it's the context of cartoons that helps him be less annoying to me, I don't know.  He doesn't add anything, nor does he take away to me, so I'm not bothered by him.  His first episode was his best though...  He's become more like he's crowbarred in lately.

Second, I thought the overall story of the 2 episodes was good...  I found the evil dr. (with a German accent...  developing biogenics to cause mass destruction...  Was this guy plucked out of a WW2 history book?) much more annoying than Jar was, actually.  But the story I thought was pretty decent...  It would've been nice had it been a Neimoidian as the evil dr. though, just so you could tie it to why he's on Naboo, maybe seeking revenge or whatever.

Third, I really dug Anakin and Obi-Wan at odds with one another.  Anakin's flip in ROTS becomes more believable when you see some of the "depth" to it.

I thought the moon planet place with the bad kid was kind of funny actually, and had a great Star Warsy feel to it.  I do think this series could stand some good sized space battles.  I know someone else mentioned that and I agree wholeheartedly.  They've lacked that for the most part so far.  The 2D toon even gave us that, so it'd be nice to see in the 3D one.

Yeah, definitely not two of the better episodes this past week.  Like Jesse, Jar Jar doesn't annoy me quite as much as others - but I still think they overdo the stupidity aspect of his character a bit.  I mean, its well know how much fans hate that TPM version of Jar Jar, and they have an opportunity to play up some other sides (less annoying) of his character in this series, but it doesn't seem like they are doing it.

The "evil scientist" was definitely over the top in this episode though.  For some reason, I sort of liked the kid's "reprogrammed" battle droid army, with their various variations and everything.  Silly, but sort of amusing.  I agree about the space battles, we're long overdue there.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2009, 12:39 PM »
I liked the kid, he didn't bother me at all...  I thought the whole planet he was on was pretty interesting.

Did the Dr. remind anyone of Gold Member from the Austin Powers movies?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #261 on: February 16, 2009, 02:17 PM »
I like watching the show, but if it went away it wouldn't bother me too much.  Kinda weird eh?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 16, 2009, 02:46 PM »
I liked the kid, he didn't bother me at all...  I thought the whole planet he was on was pretty interesting.

Did the Dr. remind anyone of Gold Member from the Austin Powers movies?

Oooh yesh yesh yesh yesh yesh. I will unleashed my gold shadow virus!
Yeah, the accent did make the doctor sound like Goldmember. I though the voice sounded familiar but I couldn't quite place it.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 16, 2009, 03:05 PM »

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 28, 2009, 01:58 PM »
Pretty good episode last night. Ahsoka was actually decent this time, and the space battles are always neat. It was cool to see the Y-Wings and the Plunk Droid again. Looking forward to the Mace Windu stuff next week! :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #265 on: February 28, 2009, 11:24 PM »
I think last night's episode was one of the more solid, enjoyable ones.  I'm looking forward to the last two.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 1, 2009, 06:28 AM »
Just watched Storm Over Ryloth, the space battles were cool.

Did you catch R2-KT in the hanger?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #267 on: March 2, 2009, 12:53 AM »
I thought it was a red droid, which was probably due to my TV more than anything.  Cool to see her...  Cool to see a good space battle too, and something very war-centric for the series, unlike the whole "super weapon" thing they go with now and then.  It was a pretty good episode that should tie together to the others nicely, hopefully.

I'm anxious to see the last two now.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 8, 2009, 05:59 AM »
Just watched part 2, Innocents of Ryloth. Lot's of shoot 'em up things, nice story with the young Twi'lek & the Clone Troopers.

Part 3, Liberty on Ryloth looks good with Mace in action.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #269 on: March 9, 2009, 02:50 PM »
I've enjoyed the last two episodes and both tied nicely together...

It was nice to see some good space action, and to see some kind of strategy going on what with the Cruiser rolling over to draw in the Frigates.  I liked that this tactic was pulled directly from EU sources too, from the Thrawn Trilogy...  That was a nice nod to probably the best EU material out there.

I thought Ahsoka's plight was nice, but her acting was meh, so it sort of diminished a little of the "feeling".  I liked the action though, and seeing the V-19's getting a little bit of action early on since they're largely left out of things at times.

I thought then this last episode was interesting.  HEavy artillery proving what it could do against landing craft was neat, and why you can't just land when/where you want to all the time.  Things like that flesh out how combat in SW works...  Same as Cristophsis fleshes out siege warfare and whatnot.  It's interesting stuff.

The Clones side-story was nice and showed maybe a hint that some Clones think dramatically different than others, and they're not all the same, yada yada yada...  It leaves that opening that some didn't turn on the Jedi and whatnot.

I liked seeing the EMP grenades you use in Republic Commando getting used for the first time in the toon to minimize collateral damage too.  Pretty neat stuff.

All in all, I'm really digging this storyline so far, and I'm anxious for the next two episodes (are the next two part of the storyline, or just the next one, and the last episode is stand-alone?).  Oh and it was nice to just see Cody/Kenobi for once too.  No Ani/Ahsoka duo...  I like seeing Kenobi and his troops alone sometimes, or a new Jedi (Windu) will be nice too...  Anakin/Ahsoka are too often the focus I feel.