Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season One Discussion Thread  (Read 82089 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Series Discussion Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2008, 08:22 PM »
THAT is a cool thought...  The "Statue of Liberty is Kaput" line and Hanks looking at the Para and saying, "Well that's disconcerting", haha.  If they incorporated that into the series (something similar) I'd have a stomach ache from laughing I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 1, 2008, 08:51 AM »
I liked Obi-Wan's "That Cody's a good man" line.  I LOVE seeing the expansion of the relationships characters have, and how it stings more when Cody betrays Obi...  Likewise for next week's epsisode, I loved how Obi-Wan says, "Astromechs are a dime a dozen", poo pooing R2's "death", and Anakin's fist tightening.  I find it fascinating how Obi doesn't give two ***** about losing anyone or anything, while Anakin does...  Kinda makes Obi out to be a prick, which he sort of is in a way anyway, but I digress.

I'm going to have to disagree about Obi-Wan's prickness. I don't think his statement about R2 comes from not being attached to anyone, but rather just treating droids as products as opposed to people. Obi-Wan I think does get attached to people, as evidenced in his reaction to Anakin's turn to the dark side.

Offline Phantom-like Menace

• Youngling
  • The hammer is my penis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 1, 2008, 10:38 AM »
I'm a little late to the discussion, but I had some thoughts about Shadow of Malevolence, the episode where Anakin leads the Y-wing squadron in the run on Malevolence. I had originally posted this on another site, and I'm copying and pasting it here if anyone has any thought about it.

I really liked this episode. There was a lot going on between Koon, Anakin, and Ahsoka. I'm not sure Koon isn't just undermining Anakin's authority with Ahsoka and needs to keep some things to himself. But I liked that Ahsoka pointed out to Anakin that just because he can surivive in crazy odds doesn't mean his men can. It's a lesson that's hard for Anakin to accept, and I think it very nicely showed that learning in a master and apprentice relationship runs both ways.
I hate softgoods!!!

You're making me apathetic. You won't like me when I'm apathetic. I get big, green, and don't give a ****.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: November 3, 2008, 01:08 AM »
I like that point too TPM, about Ahsoka calling Anakin on his wrecklessness...  He lost sight of the bigger picture, and it was costing lives.

About Obi-Wan's behavior, I dunno...  The implication by the commercial, I thought, was that Anakin was upset by the loss of R2 (his fist clenching, etc.), and Obi-Wan's response is "such is life, they're a dime a dozen" type of reaction.  Does Obi-Wan treat droids like "tools" and not something you care about?  Yes, but I believe this to be the prickishness...

Clearly Anakin and Luke don't look at R2 as anything less than a best friend to them... 

The SW galaxy has that odd stigma about droids for some reason.  Some people seem to openly hate them, there's some "bigotry" towards them what with the Cantina droid sensors and stuff.  I don't know why they're disliked by many but Anakin/Luke seem to enjoy them and treat them as equals and good friends/companions. 

To me it's like the difference in people who treat pets like members of their family, and then people who treat pets as "just animals".  I come from a family where pets are treated like children in the family, but I know people who wouldn't hesitate to put an animal down at the first sign of illness, and they wouldn't put the $$$ into vet bills to help them.

I guess what I'm saying is that Anakin's hurt by losing (or thinking he lost) R2 in battle, while Obi-Wan unfeelingly tells him to basically "get over it", more or less.

It's the same disconnect Obi-Wan can have with the Clones. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Phantom-like Menace

• Youngling
  • The hammer is my penis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 3, 2008, 07:09 AM »
Well, at least we learn why it is that Obi-Wan wouldn't recognize R2 in Episode IV. He's gone through so many astromechs, that he refuses to believe one survived.
I hate softgoods!!!

You're making me apathetic. You won't like me when I'm apathetic. I get big, green, and don't give a ****.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 3, 2008, 09:34 AM »
Clearly Anakin and Luke don't look at R2 as anything less than a best friend to them... 

The SW galaxy has that odd stigma about droids for some reason.  Some people seem to openly hate them, there's some "bigotry" towards them what with the Cantina droid sensors and stuff.  I don't know why they're disliked by many but Anakin/Luke seem to enjoy them and treat them as equals and good friends/companions. 

To me it's like the difference in people who treat pets like members of their family, and then people who treat pets as "just animals".  I come from a family where pets are treated like children in the family, but I know people who wouldn't hesitate to put an animal down at the first sign of illness, and they wouldn't put the $$$ into vet bills to help them.

That's an excellent example Jesse.  I'm also from a family (and its the same now in our own family) where the pets are members of the family.  My wife and I consider our daughter, and our beagle, our "kids", but we also have friends and family that are more like "its just a dog" (or cat, etc.) - so I definitely see the similar thought you have regarding droids and characters like Luke and Anakin.  Nice thoughts.  Looking forward to the new episode this week, really missed not seeing one last Friday.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 3, 2008, 11:02 AM »
We finally caught up thus far, just watched Rookies. Good episode, really like the slight nod to Stormtrooper Han.  :D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 4, 2008, 03:53 PM »
Newsarama has a short preview clip for this Friday's episode, "Downfall of a Droid".  It looks like we'll get to see Grievous' starfighter actually in some action.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: November 5, 2008, 11:26 PM »
Grievous' Fighter was in Destroy Malevolence actually, but it was only seen briefly as it chased down the Twilight and dodged some fire from it, then GG ignoring Dooku and buggin' out.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 6, 2008, 09:30 AM »
A lot of people have been telling me that the series is much better than the episodes released as the movie. Is this true?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #85 on: November 6, 2008, 03:14 PM »
A lot of people have been telling me that the series is much better than the episodes released as the movie. Is this true?

I'd say yes.  I'm not anxiously awaiting the next installment like I did with the movies, but they are definitely entertaining.

I think the Rookies episode by itself was better than the theatrical release.

BTW congrats Dale!  Of course you'll be behind in less than 36 hours....enjoy it while you can.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #86 on: November 6, 2008, 04:08 PM »

Personally I disagree...  I find them all to be similar in style really.  That's not to say some of the TV episodes aren't better than the movie.  THe movie is cool, there's a lot to like about it and I consider it as good as most of the TV show thus far, with maybe only Rookies and the Yoda episode standing out as above the others.  The others are good/great and so is the movie IMO.  Rookies and Yoda were a notch above, but I'm far from disappointed in any of it.

I have to say I so far like the series immensely more than I liked either E1 or E2...  Maybe it's the freshness and someone else at the helm of it that makes me like it so much?  I don't know.  Either way I'm enjoying it a lot and right now I'd rather watch it than one of the movies on TV.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 7, 2008, 10:20 AM »
This week's web comic, "The Fall of Falleen" is now up at the official site (it starts on page 34/35).  Looking forward to another new episode tonight.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 8, 2008, 11:37 AM »
Downfall of a Droid... should've been Downfall of a Series. Alright, last night's episode wasn't too bad, but it was the worst so far. I though the story, locations, characters, etc. were all fine and dandy. The editing and music and stuff like that really bugged me. I thought everything moved way too fast in the episode. And what the hell was up with the music? Sounded like the same annoying garbage that CN plays right before the commercial breaks. The other epsidodes kept a nice Star Wars feel, but this one seemed very aloof.

Also, does any of the over-the-top events/action bug anyone? I know it's a kids' show, but c'mon. 200 AT-TEs blasting away at the Federation frigates? I don't think the Republic would be losing with that kind of firepower. In the same realm of ridiculousness, the capital ships go down after only a few hits. That seems kind of odd to me, and I hope they fix that in future space battles.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 8, 2008, 12:10 PM »
I thought last night's episode was okay. It did go a little fast though, and the music was weird. But I actually thought the AT-TE attack was kinda cool.

Was this the worst episode so far? Well, yeah, maybe, considering that it's only up against Ambush, Malevolence, and Rookies.

In the same realm of ridiculousness, the capital ships go down after only a few hits. That seems kind of odd to me, and I hope they fix that in future space battles.

I thought that was weird too, but they did take out the bridge if I remember correctly. The Star Destroyer in RotJ went down after Arvel flew his A-Wing into its bridge, so that's my explanation for it. Anyone else have something different?
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!