Author Topic: What could be updated/changed in the OT series.  (Read 7971 times)

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
What could be updated/changed in the OT series.
« on: October 8, 2008, 02:27 PM »
I know purists will probably hate me for even considering this.  But what i really kinda mean I guess would be an updated, not just cleaned up, version of the whole Endor space/planet battle.  Really when you look at the walkers on Endor it's almost sad the whole stop motion is just unbelievably outdated looking.  And with the battle above and the rebels using mostly blockade runners and the transports from ESB and medicial frigate as their main fleet besde 3 or 4 Mon Cals ships is pretty sad.  I'd like to see something more exciting along the line like ROTS and maybe some Federation ships that are "modified" by the Rebels.  I'd like to see the entire attack on the DS in ANH redone all CG.  Anybody else feel the same way or will be hung from a tree by my thumbs for starting this thread?
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: What could be updated/changed in the OT series.
« Reply #1 on: October 8, 2008, 03:57 PM »
Not directly in line with what you were going on this, but you mentioned the Federation ships used by the rebels, in the book Death Star, the rebels launch an attack on the nearly completed Death Star by loading a couple dozen squadrons of X-Wings on a old Trade Federation ship and then launching them all at the Death Star.  The huge number of Tie Fighters take out the X-Wings and the Superlaser destroys the Federation ship.

Some of the Rebellion era comic books use Federation, or atleast Federation looking ships as the capital ships of the Rebellion.

I don't know if the movies should be edited to include those ships, but I would certainly think atleast some Federation ships survived.  Take Mon Mothma's line about the Empire's fleet being spread across the galaxy in a vain attempt to engage the rebellion.  I take that as a sign that the Rebellion wasn't throwing every single last ship at the Death Star.
I am not the Stig

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 8, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Not directly in line with what you were going on this, but you mentioned the Federation ships used by the rebels, in the book Death Star, the rebels launch an attack on the nearly completed Death Star by loading a couple dozen squadrons of X-Wings on a old Trade Federation ship and then launching them all at the Death Star.  The huge number of Tie Fighters take out the X-Wings and the Superlaser destroys the Federation ship.

Some of the Rebellion era comic books use Federation, or atleast Federation looking ships as the capital ships of the Rebellion.

I don't know if the movies should be edited to include those ships, but I would certainly think atleast some Federation ships survived.  Take Mon Mothma's line about the Empire's fleet being spread across the galaxy in a vain attempt to engage the rebellion.  I take that as a sign that the Rebellion wasn't throwing every single last ship at the Death Star.

Ya that's where I got the idea from with the fed ships now being modified/upgraded versions of TF ships.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3 on: October 8, 2008, 04:29 PM »
Nothing should be done until the originals are given the proper restoration and release that they rightly deserve.

Then Lucas can **** them up any way he sees fit.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 8, 2008, 04:34 PM »
Yes, then he CGI half the Rebels in to Gungans ("Eeesa cold, lookie a wampa-ahhhhhggg".)    And give Wedge some more lines ("I'm already on my way out, yippeee!").
I am not the Stig

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 8, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Yes, then he CGI half the Rebels in to Gungans ("Eeesa cold, lookie a wampa-ahhhhhggg".)    And give Wedge some more lines ("I'm already on my way out, yippeee!").
Don't forget my 2nd wish if I ever find a magic lamp....turning the Ewoks into Wookiees.  First wish being a nude scene with Padme  ;)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 09:28 AM »
If all the revisions made thus far had been made with intelligence, I'd say, continue to update. However, based on what we've gotten I say, hands off to anything. Sure, some effects might seem dated, but they still work, and work better than lots of today's CG.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 06:26 PM »
I'd really like to see both major space battles updated to just include more ships...  Both are sparse, and really there should be many more Rebel vessels.  ROTJ was good for the day, but in 2008 compared to the opening ROTS battle, ROTJ's looks just sparse.  CGI could certainly beef that up a lot and make it more interesting.

Beyond that I'm only for cut scenes really.  I'd love to see some cut scenes integrated into the films... 

I agree with Matt though, they need to clean it up and release it in its original form but to today's standards, and at that point release it with the SE edits and beyond.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 10:20 PM »
I actually like the lack of Rebel ships in the movies, it makes their fight seem that much more desperate and their win epic. So I would prefer it stay that way, or maybe add more Imp ships so that it adds to the effect of desperation shown by the rebels.

In terms of adding anything in...well I just want some scenes of Boba Kicking ass. It doesnt help that the "greatest" bounty hunter in the galaxys most action in the movie is falling to his supposed death in the sarlac.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 1, 2009, 08:45 PM »
There are a handful of changes that Lucas has made that I think make sense... like inserting the scene where Vader goes from Bespin back up to the Executor.  I think it made sense to put Ian McDiarmid into ESB instead of that other guy...

But there are some I wish they'd un-do.  Like the obvious Greedo shooting first... the obnoxious scream Luke lets out when he falls out the window in ESB...  I don't like the new songs in Jabba's palace and in the Ewok Celebration... I'd take out all the cutsie animals that just stand around during shot intros (in all 6 movies, and in the new IJ movie)...

I know it's not the original question, but if Lucas is going to mess with them yet again, I wish he'd un-do a few of the more egregious additions.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: January 2, 2009, 06:03 PM »
But there are some I wish they'd un-do.  ... the obnoxious scream Luke lets out when he falls out the window in ESB... 

They already un-did that in the DVD release.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline CookieeMonster

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 02:41 PM »
Immediate gut reaction is hands off and fix the mistakes you have done to this, then I stopped and wondered how could they make it better, what would enhance it, these points are the ones I came up with.

ANH:
1) First thing that should be altered is the who shot first, Han shot first it's that simple.
2) Take out all the stupid little sound effects and put the original sound effects back in (I.E. Ben's Krayt Scream is not frightening its annoying).
3) Make the Space Battle at the end bigger, dont alter who goes into blow the Death Star Up, but who is actually tieing all those Tie Fighters and other Imperial Ships up while the Trench Run is happening - There is supposed to be a Blue and Green Squadron show them, they dont have to be taking part in the big battle with the Death Star, because it would be their job to tie up the Imperial Ships.

TESB:
1) Put in the scene with the Wampas and Snowtroopers, also the Ice Laser.
2) Change Boba Fett's voice back to the original.
3) I was going to say take out Luke's Girlie Scream.

ROTJ:
1) Leave the Ewoks Alone, repeat do not touch these guys.
2) Put back in the Original Song Max's Band performed.
3) Put the old Ewok Song back in.
4) Make the Battle Bigger at the end.
5) Put back in Shaw at the end, because thats the biggest crime commited against Star Wars in any of the Movies.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 01:19 AM »
I'm a purist when it comes to the "original cuts" of the film.  But do not mind added scenes, changed scenes, etc. as long as those original versions will always be available.  The cantina scene and Jabba's palace could be cleaned up a bit.  So many characters have that rubbery look which make them look questionable.  I could accept some added aliens in both of these scenes using species from the PT but not to overload the scenes where you would instantly recogize them.  Make them off in the background just visible.  Kind of like how the Arcana (SP?) figure was added to the Coruscant Billboard sign outside the Outlander club in AOTC. Also, where are all those familiar species at Mos Espa that were seen ANH. Other than that clean up the space scenes or redo many of the shots.  Also, even though Lucas said it added no value, I would like to see the Anchorhead scenes added back into ANH.  My biggest gripe with the whole story is that Obi-Wan is so old in ANH, even though it takes place 20 years after Sith. When the CGI gets better you could possibly take a few years off Alec Guiness but being such an iconic character and actor it bothers me somehow.  Also, the lightsaber battle in ANH looks lame to me now after seeing what they did with the PT.  Even in ESB and ROTJ Vader was so much more agressive. Not looking for a change in the Ben character but it would be interesting to see what it would look like with an aged Ewan McGregor reshooting the Kenobi scenes.

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 09:45 PM »
ANH

1.  When Darth Vader makes his entrance have the Imperial theme be played.
2.  After Luke asks Obi-Wan how his father died, Obi-Wan has a flashback where Yoda says "The boy that you trained, gone he is.  Consumed by Darth Vader".
3.  Have C-3PO's gears just sound like they were in the other 5.
4.  Improve the lightsabers.
5.  Have the Force fanfare be very audible again when the X-Wings draw fire.
6.  Have Darth Vader activate his lightsaber.
7.  Show Emperor Palpatine making contact with Darth Vader about the Old Republic being swept away.

ESB

1.  Improve the lightsabers.
2.  Show Luke's vision of Han and Leia.
3.  Give Boba Fett more lines.
4.  After Luke says "Take Care you too", have him say "Be careful".
5.  Bring back Luke's falling scream.
6.  More windows in Cloud City.
7.  Show the Gas Mine a bit more.

ROTJ

1.  Have "May the Force be with you" be said a couple times.
2.  More tentacles in the Sarlacc.
3.  Improve the lightsabers (again)
4.  After Palpatine unleashes his final Force Lightning on Luke, have Darth Vader hear Obi-Wan shouting "You were the chosen one!".
5.  Kashyyyk and Utapau in the end celebration.
6.  Have Luke's last line be to his father "May the Force be with you".
7.  Padme as a Force ghost.  (Leave Hayden as a Force Ghost)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:12 AM by 77Skywalker »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 01:33 AM »
If you want to see how this film should look.  Check out Star Wars: Revisited.

Especially the special features with the extended Alderaan Destruction scene.   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.