Author Topic: NHL 2008 - 2009  (Read 34156 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2008 - 2009
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 12:40 PM »
It hurts just as bad to make it to the finals last year, and so far wer'e not looking too swift to even make the playoffs this year, hah.  Therrien's gone, maybe that'll change things, but I really personally didn't think he was the problem...  They're getting a more vocal guy in though, so maybe it'll light a fire under the asses of those who seem apathetic about it all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2009, 12:11 AM »
Oilers 3, Phoenix 1. Slowly climbing the ladder.   :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: March 4, 2009, 12:26 AM »
It's always fun watching who goes to waivers this time of year...  Satan went for the Pens, which one would assume is to free up cap space.  Otherwise why not trade the guy?  Seems something may be up there...  Saw Roberts went for Tampa too, who may be moving some people.  Less than 24 hours to go.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: March 4, 2009, 03:29 PM »
Huh.  It appears as though my beloved Wild did nothing today, which I guess is a good thing.  Maybe?

Yesterday, instead of trading Backstrom at the deadline, we actually convinced him to forego free agency and stay here - 4 years, $25+mil.  I can honestly say I didn't see that one coming.  With Gabby's injury making him basically untradable, I thought Backstrom is the piece they'd move...

Which brings up Gabby.  When Backstrom didn't get traded and got signed instead, I thought that was a BIG hint that they had something lined up trading Gaborik after all instead.... but nope.  The deadline has passed and nothing on trading Gaborik yet. 

Huh.  I was really expecting at least one (if not both) of those guys to be gone by the afternoon, but I guess not.  Looks like the Wild are serious about trying to stay in the hunt for that 7th/8th spot in the West.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: March 5, 2009, 02:56 PM »
I expected more than happened.  I didn't think we'd get Guerrin for, at worst(best?), a 3rd round pick.  I don't know much about the other guy we picked up, but Guerrin I'm hoping isn't another Satan...  I think we need more of an ugly power forward than finesse, so I'm happier with this than Satan, but still the age thing is a concern and his performance this year wasn't great...  Still, he's the second scorer on the Isles I think, which is hardly a stat of pride.

Regardless though, the deal was outstanding for what it was.  We didn't give up anything really to get Guerrin, so it's really not a gamble at all.

I'm excited for the game tonight.  Kunitz has fit perfectly in the games he's been in uniform so far, so I'm excited to see how Guerrin slots in there now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: March 9, 2009, 03:58 AM »
Pens have been on a tear, and it felt oh so good today watching them beat Washington.  Philly is a rival, but the true hate lies with our old-time rivalry with Washington.  They've had the upper hand this year, but today the Penguins made a much better showing and at times even dominated Washington...  It was interesting watching a healthy, rolling, Pens team go against a healthy Caps team.  And my god do they truly have hate for each other.

I love rivalries, but right now I don't think there's two teams in the league that have distaste for each other like these two do.  It's spilling into the media, at least between the top 4 forwards between the two teams. 

Guerrin looked good with Crosby...  They meshed well early, which is great.  Kunitz and Guerrin were excellent acquisitions.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 9, 2009, 11:49 AM »

I love rivalries, but right now I don't think there's two teams in the league that have distaste for each other like these two do.  It's spilling into the media, at least between the top 4 forwards between the two teams. 

Calgary - Edmonton. 

Toronto - Ottawa. 

Granted neither of those have the high profile stars at the moment like the Caps-Pens, but I'd say those rivalries are more hotly contested on a consistent basis.  Pencentric buffoon.   :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 9, 2009, 12:00 PM »
Calgary - Edmonton. 

Back in the day yes, 80's & early 90's but the rivalry cooled off tho just for awhile, mid 2000 me thinks.

But you won't see a rivalry like it was back then tho. Ahhh, those were the days.  ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: March 9, 2009, 02:38 PM »
I agree they have rivalries, as everyone's got someone on their ****list.  And the old school rivalries are great ones for sure, but at the moment I don't think anything's at the intensity level of the Pens/Caps.

Calgary and Edmonton could heat up with a meeting in the playoffs though, for certain.  I think there's a mutual Boston/Montreal hatred that could heat up then as well, and a NJ/NYR one that could definitely heat up considering NYR picked up everyone's favorite douche Avery again... 

Right now though the Pens/Caps aren't just a rivalry between teams, it's really pure hatred with **** talking about each other's players by both sides.  It's been going on all year and you don't see that often in the NHL (the **** talking anyway) like it has been this year.  I guess the Caps office are trying desperately to keep Penguin fans from getting tickets too, as we've dominated their home for decades, and now that they actually can win and some people in their area want to see them play, they are upset we're still trying to come down and **** with them. ;D

I think the other rivalries could get warm come the playoffs, but I still argue nothing's quite on the level of Pens/Caps at the moment.

Ottawa/Toronto doesn't count by the way.  They're not making the playoffs and I don't even think they care when they play one another, or anyone else for that matter.  :P

Offline sharke

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2009, 07:17 PM »
just to throw it out there....
Go Sharks!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2009, 11:10 PM »
The Stars are out of it...

We went to the game last night...that Ribeiro's goal was nothing short of amazing.  Worth a trip to Youtube for sure.

The team however plays without heart.  Marty Turco really needs to find another place to play.  He is GREAT off the field, gives more to the community than any other player on the team, but right now, the community would like another Stanley Cup...it has been 10 years.

Offline sharke

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2009, 02:21 PM »
The Stars are out of it...

We went to the game last night...that Ribeiro's goal was nothing short of amazing.  Worth a trip to Youtube for sure.

The team however plays without heart.  Marty Turco really needs to find another place to play.  He is GREAT off the field, gives more to the community than any other player on the team, but right now, the community would like another Stanley Cup...it has been 10 years.

but I thought all those problems were the result of Avery..... ;D

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2009, 06:48 PM »
Jesse James had me convinced it was T.O.....

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2009, 07:48 PM »
 ;D

Nah, just his NHL equivalent (if there is one, Avery's probably the closest to it).

Offline sharke

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2009, 08:45 PM »
;D

Nah, just his NHL equivalent (if there is one, Avery's probably the closest to it).

bah! Avery is closer to Rodman