Author Topic: NHL 2008 - 2009  (Read 34050 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2008 - 2009
« Reply #90 on: May 7, 2009, 06:20 PM »
The biggest problems would be travel for the team and timezone issues... 

Yeah, we don't even have a division rival in our own time zone (they are all Mountain or Pacific) so don't complain to me about having to stay up late to watch.   :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #91 on: May 7, 2009, 06:24 PM »
Maybe they will get moved somewhere in the midwest then?  KC's still got a nifty arena supposedly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #92 on: May 7, 2009, 08:18 PM »
And wasn't KC clamoring for the Penguins when they were rumored to be on the move?
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #93 on: May 7, 2009, 09:26 PM »
Yup, they were balls to the wall to get them, and it was only because they were offering so much that it was being considered (new arena, etc.).  Different times economically, but I imagine they still maybe would be interested in a team.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2009, 10:57 AM »
Time to revise my picks again. I sucked in the first round and second round (50% in each). I'm seeing a Chicago-Carolina final.

First Round

Boston over Montreal
Washington over Rangers
Carolina over Devils
Philadelphia over Pens

Sharks over Ducks
Columbus over Wings
Blues over Vancouver
Chicago over Calgary

Second round

Carolina over Boston
Washington over Pens

Ducks over Red Wings
Chicago over Vancouver

Conference Finals

Carolina over Pens

Chicago over Wings

Cup Finals

Chicago over Carolina

Sure hope they go seven games each.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2009, 06:20 PM »
I'd love to see the Hawks win with that young team but I don't see it happening.

Wings-Pens final.  I think this time it's the Pens turn. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2009, 06:28 PM »
I'd love to see the Hawks win with that young team but I don't see it happening.

Wings-Pens final.  I think this time it's the Pens turn. 
I'm pulling for the Hawks, mainly becuase they propelled me to 2nd place in Fantasy this year :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2009, 03:43 AM »
Yes.  I still remember the draft where you kept taking Hawks right before I was planning on it.  I kept thinking WTF?   The only saving grace was Havlat and his first (ever?) largely injury free season.  He's leading the Hawks in playoff scoring too. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2009, 11:13 PM »
ROFLMAO.  Yeah, sure, I believe Bettman  ::)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2009, 04:07 AM »
Wessa have a new coach... Pat Quinn.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2009, 09:43 AM »
First off, let me say wow Brent called the finals weeks ago.   

Now on to my rant for the day...  I hate VERSUS.  Could they possibly find somebody in the production booth who has actually watched the Stanley Cup Playoffs for these things?

I know I am a simpleton and a Texan so I am not allowed to have an opinion on Hockey, but one of the most intresting things in Sports to me, is that after a hard fought series, the two teams line up and shake hands.  No matter the bad blood between any players, the team that lost will acknowledge the victor and the winner will honor the team that lost for their valiant effort.   So after 60 minutes of shutout hockey, I expected to see Osgood and Huet at least skate near each other, but nothing.  They showed about 3 or 4 different shots of the line, I saw the backup goalie for Chicago (the guy from the AHL) more than Osgood or Huet. 

Anyway, that is my gripe.

If the Finals goes 7 games I win our office pool.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2009, 04:35 PM »
How about their logo thing down in the bottom right hand corner always covering **** up?  Vs. sucks.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2009, 05:35 PM »

I know I am a simpleton and a Texan so I am not allowed to have an opinion on Hockey, but one of the most intresting things in Sports to me, is that after a hard fought series, the two teams line up and shake hands.  No matter the bad blood between any players, the team that lost will acknowledge the victor and the winner will honor the team that lost for their valiant effort.   So after 60 minutes of shutout hockey, I expected to see Osgood and Huet at least skate near each other, but nothing.  They showed about 3 or 4 different shots of the line, I saw the backup goalie for Chicago (the guy from the AHL) more than Osgood or Huet. 

Actually....I'm not certain of the source, but I have heard in past that Texas actually has more "professional" hockey teams than all of Canada.   This is in the sense of teams playing ice hockey that get paid to play, level notwithstanding.  Not sure how true it is.  While I'll confess to anger over the North Stars moving out of Minneapolis (well, Bloomington) to Dallas and the name change I would also say that since they've been there I've never been able to gripe about fan support for the team.  The building is almost always full and the city is deserving of a team. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2009, 05:38 PM »
I find it funny Detroit can't sell out their own arena considering their success.  There's a push on in town here to get tickets and make the trip.  It's a short drive too.

I was impressed with Carolina's fans in that series.  I've never really thought much of them but they stayed through the handshake and presentation.  I really thought that building was gonna empty out fast but they hung on.

Washington fans were emptying at the end of that series though...  Typical.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2009, 06:03 PM »
I have heard in past that Texas actually has more "professional" hockey teams than all of Canada.

Really?  I thought Texas only has about 10-12 teams if you count AHL/CHL/paid minors.  Canada has to have more than that counting all the various the minor leagues?   ???

I find it funny Detroit can't sell out their own arena considering their success.

IMaybe we can blame that on the economy too... in case you haven't heard, things aren't going so well in Detroit.  :-X

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender