Author Topic: CW Y-Wing Starfighter  (Read 52844 times)

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
Re: Y-Wing Bomber - Good Idea, or Great Idea?
« Reply #105 on: June 9, 2009, 03:41 PM »
Okay, what is the measurement you were given that might be incorrect?

Give or take a couple inches is okay.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2009, 03:42 PM by Hobbie »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: June 9, 2009, 03:51 PM »
Ancient Chinese secret...  I converted it already though and it comes to about 1:20 on the button which shocked the hell out of me at the time.  I'm anxious to see if it's true or not.  I didn't believe the AT-TE's measurements which I got early from a friend as well, and yet it turned out to be accurate as well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #107 on: June 9, 2009, 05:17 PM »
Not so secret, actually.  You're claiming that this ship measures out to 1/20 of 23m, which is the official sw database length, so about 43", correct?

Very big, very impressive!  Thanks for the info, JJ!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 9, 2009, 05:27 PM »
43 inches... somehow that doesn't seem right.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #109 on: June 9, 2009, 05:29 PM »
Sounds to big to me, too, but that is apparently his info, unless I got 1/20 of 23m wrong. 

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 9, 2009, 05:47 PM »
This has got be good material for the "Quote Your Fellow Posters Out Of Context!" thread.    ;D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 9, 2009, 05:53 PM »
If this is scaled down to be 1/20 of 23m, I think your calculations are pretty close.

The Royal Starship was huge, I wonder how this thing will look compared to it...?

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #112 on: June 9, 2009, 06:27 PM »
The other option is that JJ is going by the dimensions given for the OT Y-Wing, which the SW database gives as 16m, which would then measure out to a more reasonable 31".  Also, one must assume that all measurements include the two turbo cannons sticking out the nose, which would account for a bit of the length. 

In addition, The size of the droid slot, seems to push this towards the 30" size rather than the 40" size.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #113 on: June 9, 2009, 10:56 PM »
43 inches is almost 4 feet.  Just can't be.   Sure looks good though.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2009, 03:39 AM »
I'm going by the 16m measurement of the OT Y-WIng, which, for all intents and purposes, is the same ship just with its "skin" on it.  There's been no indication that it's a different length as far as I know, as everything appears the same, just with the armor plating.  The only difference structurally being the cockpit differences of course.

Definitely not in the 40" range though, no...  That's huge, and YW's aren't actually massive like that in either the toon or the movie.

I'm not being real secretive about it though, honestly.  I was just told a length by a friend with it, and his length may or may not be 100% spot-on correct.  That's the only reason I'm remaining a little aloof about it.  It may or may not be totally accurate.  I'm assuming it was measured from guntip to the end of one of the nacels, and that it is accurate, but I'm not positive since I can't see it in person to be sure myself, haha.  I'm particular like that.

I don't know why there'd be a discrepency in length of the two ships though...  Nothing implies between the two that the CW3D YW is larger than the OT YW.  If anything, it's implied they're the same ship, simply modified, and the OT YW is not some massive piece of machinery by any stretch.  SW fighters are actually quite small compared to real-world modern day fighter jets.

I'm trying to put some positive vibes to this though.  I think there's good things coming with it. ;)

EDIT:

I see what you're saying about the two lengths on SW.com...  I'm gonna call bunk on that though, as if you read the whole article the guy who designed it even acknowledges that he designed the Y-Wing for CW3D over top the actual model from the original trilogy...  I'm not positive why SW.com is implying there's such a large size discrepency between the OT and CW3D ships, as that's a fairly significant difference when the ship's intended by the designer himself to be just stripped down.  The only difference I could sort of imagine that could change the ship length like that, would be possibly truncating the nacels to remove "bulk".  Regardless though this is something I'm willing to give a little creative leeway to, as EU is never consistant as we see here.

The only thing I'm disappointed in is the rear turret's design/placement, as compared to the CW3D model...  Something I think I'm willing to overlook but which is a little distracting.  I'm not buying the 7 meters worth of "length" being chopped off it though.  That's, I'm wagering, some asshat trying to explain why we have this Y-Wing all armored up, along with the Y-Wing from the Cross-sections all armored up, and trying to say, "See both existed!", which falls into the usual trap of EU conflicting with EU, and nerds trying to make all this **** fit together, instead of just forgetting about one of the two conflicting things.  Kinda like the different Spacetrooper designs and whatnot.

I was wondering who was going to try cramming the two Y-Wing designs together, and how they'd go with it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 06:15 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2009, 11:46 AM »
30" sounds right, including gun tips.  I esti-measured it out using the droid slot width as a guide, and came up with about 26" over the main body, + 3-4" for the protruding guns.

I also have to believe that this ship is intended to be of the same model that pops up in the OT, with as you said, the panels ripped off and the turret and rear gunner station replaced with the fixed cannons.  So much of the databank stuff is blatantly EU, anyway.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2009, 12:19 PM »
Judging by that picture, I'd say it's slightly larger than the Y-Wing in my collection.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2009, 03:56 PM »
Going by the droid socket alone, I think it's actually pretty significantly larger than the OT Y-Wings, Matt.  For instance, if the sockets were functional on the OT Y-Wings, the droid would barely fit with any space to his left or right.  Compared to the socket on the new one though, look at the large space to either side...  That's a pretty significant difference in size in the bulk of the body there.  Also the droids on the OT Y-Wings are very close to the cockpit while on this one there's a good gap between as there should be.

A lot of size difference is going to be made up in the nacels too, which are truncated a lot on the original Y-WIng sculpt.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2009, 09:28 PM »
The Vintage Y-wing had a working droid socket.  I agree tht this new Y-wing is bigger, but I don't think it's Queen's Starship or BMF Falcon big.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: CW Y-Wing Starfighter
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2009, 04:47 PM »
Along with the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid boxed image, we got a new boxed shot of the Clone Wars Y-Wing Fighter as well out on the front page.  Pretty spiffy looking overall.  I think this is probably the best looking toy they're putting out this year.  No offense to Turbo Tank fans, but that just falls flat to me for some reason.   :-\