Author Topic: CW Y-Wing Starfighter  (Read 52707 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Y-Wing Bomber - Good Idea, or Great Idea?
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2009, 01:17 PM »
I want that Y wing a whole lot, but unless I win the lottery soon I just don't see how I can buy high price point items and still be buying all the basic figs at the same time. This really sucks. I am going to be passing on a lot this year.

The higher prices of the new offerings (AT-TE, BMF, Y-Wing etc.) doesn't bother me much, it's the repeated increases on straight redecos/repack are what sucks ass.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2009, 01:31 PM »
Agreed there...

Hasbro told us a while ago that the repacks and repaints are what make the line cost-efficient, and that they can give us new stuff at good prices because of that.  The ARC-170 is basically gravy for Hasbro...  The fixed costs are in on that, and it ultimately doesn't cost much to make, so jacking up the price repeatedly on it, then giving us something new (despite your constant re-release of the 170) smells fishy.

I have no doubt I'm skipping a lot of things this year...  $8 figures are absurd.  I truly do not see these pricehikes with other toy lines too, so this is really just seemingly a Hasbro thing for the most part.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2009, 01:34 PM »
They have the best properties in the AF aisle and they know it. . .

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2009, 06:44 PM »
Hasbro is citing the new safety considerations as the impetus for the increase in pricing.  Whether or not that's accurate is another point entirely.

As for the Y-Wing?  It looks fantastic.  Very true to the vehicle in the cartoon except for the apparent sizing down of the gunner turret.  The toy has the gunner in a position more like that of the Rebel Snowspeeder gunner than the dorsal turret that it is in the Clone Wars TV episode.  Personally, I can accept that compromise.

Also, I like the added detail of the foldout dorsal missile bay.  It's a cool feature.  And we also finally get a modern Y-Wing with a functional droid slot.  It appears that there's some kind of cover which helps keep the droid in place.  But will that droid slot accomodate both Clone Wars and movie realistic astro-droids?  Also, what about droids to put in the ship?  We only have 2 Clone Wars astromechs so far.  If we wind up getting some Shadow Squadron pilots, we're going to need some astromech droids for those additional Y-Wings!  ;D
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2009, 11:52 PM »
Yeah, I think this has more to do with the fact that the Clone Wars/Star Wars line is red hot right now and they think they can get away with the price hike.  We'll see.  I have my doubts for this thing selling well at $60. That and the ARC-170 repaint.  We'll see of course.  I expect a clearance on these though.  It's a cool ship but $60 cool?  I just have my doubts. 

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2009, 06:20 PM »
I think Hasbro is making a mistake by not packing an exclusive astromech figure in with this and the ARC.  It would make the $60 go down a lot easier (at least for me!), and provide a little more incentive for the fence-sitters to get this.  At the very least, they should have released a Shadow Squadron BP alongside this, with pilots Broadside and Matchstick along with the green R5 and orange R2 astromechs. 

You know, when the POTF2 X-Wing came out 10 years ago, it was $50, so I'm not really surprised this is a few dollars more.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2009, 06:40 PM »
You know, when the POTF2 X-Wing came out 10 years ago, it was $50, so I'm not really surprised this is a few dollars more.

True, but the POTF2 FX X-Wing was, at that time, a totally new mold of a classic ship with electronics that likely required a large amount of R&D funds and was (IIRC) the only totally new vehicle mold released in 1998.  It should also be noted that it went on clearance pretty quickly when it didn't sell through at the 50 dollar price, even at Wal-Mart (who hardly ever mark anything down; I got mine at a Wal-Mart for 20 bucks just after Christmas 1998).  And then they showed up in TRU's massive clearance sales for as low as 10 bucks in some places.

As much as I want the Y-Wing, I have a feeling that, if it makes it to retail at all (since in their infinite wisdom, Hasbro will be releasing the Shadow ARC-170 two months prior to the Y-Wing, allowing that part of the shelf to be fully warmed for a while), it's going to hit the clearance aisle at Target, at the very least, right after Christmas, meaning it will have only been out for 2 months by that point at most. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2009, 08:32 AM »
Yeah, thinking of the Power FX X-Wing, that was one of the first vehicles I picked up in the modern line and I got it on clearance as well.  I don't recall even being aware of what the "regular" price was when I picked it up, but at the time I got the Falcon for $30 and the X-Wing for $20 on clearance at KB Toys.  Quite a change from today, when I picked up the new Falcon last year for $150 and the latest use of the FX X-Wing mold (Wedge's this year) will likely be at least $60 I would think.

I agree, a pack in astro and/or pilot with these would make it much more reasonable.  Of course, that causes headaches for people who want all the figures or astros, but don't want the ship necessarily.  Its tough to know which way to go.  I haven't decided yet if I'll pick this up or not.  The price seems steep, but the ship is pretty cool.  Plus, I'm still trying to decide if I should collect PT/CW vehicles going forward - as its really tough for me to find the display space for all of them - and it would be easier if I stuck to OT.  Same goes for the other PT/CW ships I have had my eye on (AT-TE, Turbo Tank, etc.)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2009, 09:59 PM »
$60 is a bit of a stretch for this product, but hopefully the big box stores order in bulk and keep the prices down to $45 or so. Compared to the ARC-170, $60 is a steal for this. Compared to the Turbo Tank or even the old Y-Wing... not so much. Features on the Y-Wing seem pretty nifty but a couple of figures (Shadow Squadron Pilots) would have made this much easier to stomach.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2009, 11:41 AM »
On the fence with this one... it looks very cool, but that price tag seems about $20 too high.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2009, 12:18 PM »
the cockpit of the CW Y-wing looks like the one of Y wing from Holiday Special, When Luke was flying in a two seats cokpit.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2009, 04:16 AM »

$74.99 at EE.com

This looks great, but if the higher-ups at Hasbro think that this is going to do well at this pricepoint, when you can get an ARC-170 for $35-40, then our suspicions have been confirmed: the vast majority of the management at Hasbro are addicted to a wide range of mind altering substances.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 04:17 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2009, 01:44 PM »
Outside of ebay, where can you find an ARC-170 for $35-40?

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2009, 03:44 PM »
I'm SO disappointed in Hasbro on this. The ship is awesome no doubts. But the price? It's ridiculous. At $30 which is what I expected this to be, I'd have bought 3. At $40 I might have bought 2. Now I know I'm only buying 1 of them. Sucks to as I wanted one to put Anakin in and another for a clone pilot.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2009, 03:51 PM »
I expected this to be $50, which I consider a very fair price for a brand new tooling in this economy.  EE is probably higher than what we'll see at Target.  I'm sure that a lot of the final price for this has to do with the number of units shipped.  I could very well see a much smaller number of these being ordered by retail in this environment than the gunships in the past which probably shipped 2 - 3 times as many in a big movie year.