Author Topic: CW Y-Wing Starfighter  (Read 52996 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: CW Y-Wing Starfighter
« Reply #165 on: October 5, 2009, 01:17 PM »
Too big. Too clean. Not enough detail. Feels light, way too cheep for the price. I'm just not feeling it. I'm thinking about returning it.

Wow, that's really sad. You'd think for that outrageous price they'd have hit it out of the park. I respect your assessment Ant. I want this ship, but definitely not at that price.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 5, 2009, 04:11 PM »
Well I have to respectfully disagree. I like it, and I feel like it was worth every penny. I guess a little weathering would've been nice, but I'm not too bothered by it since after all these were brand new ships in the episode IIRC. But yeah, at this price, I can definitely understand people being disappointed with details like that, so sorry to hear you feel let down. :-\
« Last Edit: October 5, 2009, 04:12 PM by David »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 5, 2009, 10:26 PM »
I like the toy but like most I think the price is disgusting and it brings down my overall opinion of the toy. I feel the size is adequate and the toy feels hefty, but I agree that detail is lacking and some features could have been improved. My biggest disappointment is the stationary gun turret. I fell that hasbro could have worked to make that swivel 360 degrees. And even though I do not apply stickers, the sheet included with the Y-Wing was just totally weak. If I weren't a hardcore Clone Wars fan, I'd be disappointed with this toy as well.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #168 on: October 6, 2009, 12:56 PM »
I like the toy but like most I think the price is disgusting and it brings down my overall opinion of the toy. I feel the size is adequate and the toy feels hefty, but I agree that detail is lacking and some features could have been improved. My biggest disappointment is the stationary gun turret. I fell that hasbro could have worked to make that swivel 360 degrees. And even though I do not apply stickers, the sheet included with the Y-Wing was just totally weak. If I weren't a hardcore Clone Wars fan, I'd be disappointed with this toy as well.

The lack of rotation on the gun turret is a big surprise and disappointment to me.  It's such an important play feature, I can't believe they could be bothered to manufacture it in such a way so that it could fully rotate.  SInce there are two pieces involved, I don't see how it could have cost any more to do it correctly.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 8, 2009, 10:07 AM »
Yeah, after taking a good hard look at this, I really don't need this in my collection. I'm putting an add in the classifieds for anyone who wants it. $60 shipped domestically.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #170 on: October 9, 2009, 02:48 AM »
I saw one tonight, and honestly I couldn't bring myself to buy it...

It's a decent toy, but it's an EU ship and so I am just not caving on this.  I can't afford to plunk down that kind of scratch on a ship from the cartoon.

Make a scaled OT Y-Wing, and I'm in.  Make a scaled X-Wing, and I'm in. 

Make stuff scaled from the EU though, and unless it's from a game I really like, I'm out on it I think.  Sorry.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 9, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Got my opener and MIB Y-Wings yesterday.

So I opened the Y-Wing and I like it. Wish it had been a bit cheaper - $55 instead of $65 would have been more in-line on this I think.

I know it's an EU vehicle, but until I can score a repack of Ashoka, Anakin and R2 from the CW line, two of my spare Clone Pilots from the Gunship Pod Battlepacks and one of the Yellow/White R5 B-A-Ds are currently sitting in the ship - it's got a very "White & Yellow" vibe going on right now.

Thankfully they made the landing gear on this Y-Wing very sturdy so there will not be any rear-landing-gear sag like there is on the re-releases of the Vintage vehicle.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 9, 2009, 09:58 AM »
I would not consider Clone Wars to be EU...that's comics, books and video games, IMHO.

Clone Wars may not be written by Lucas but it is closely managed and sanctioned by the Man Himself in a way none of the other properties are. I would say it is quasi-canonical. I guess it's splitting hairs, but I feel like this is more than just a bunch of yahoos sitting around dreaming up their own shtick.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 9, 2009, 11:47 AM »
There were a couple of these sitting on the shelf at our local Target for about a week, and I caved and picked one up.  With a discount, I ended up getting it for $59 or so.  I'm pretty happy with the ship overall, but like Jesse and others mentioned, it makes me really want to see a re-do of the OT version.  I've been largely passing on PT/EU ships lately, to save money/space, but the ones with an Original Trilogy "vibe" to them are more tempting.  That's why I took that $50 deal on the AT-TE earlier this year, and grabbed this one as well.  I'm pretty happy with it overall, and don't mind the features put in (for kids) since they are hidden on the ship otherwise.  I agree though, I'd rather see re-dos of more of the OT vehicles anymore at this point.  The OT one I have does look pretty tiny next to this CW version.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2009, 11:48 AM by Brian »

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 9, 2009, 12:53 PM »
I've had my Y-Wing since mid-August and I share many of the sentiments already echoed.  In short, I like the ship, but feel that more could have been done with it for the price point.  I see it as an example of Hasbro moving in the right direction - making larger vehicles with greater amounts of realistic detail - but the ship fell short from what it could have been in many respects.  For one, the paint job could have used more weathering and coloration.  Other Hasbro ships have that, including contemporary releases like Wedge's X-Wing at Target.  The Y-Wing just screams white and yellow, almost to the point of being garish.  My second beef is sort of funny, but I would have really liked landing gear that completely closed up inside the ship, without the open spaces (same for the missile bays).  I know that is something Hasbro does not do on very many ships, but it would have been a nice touch on the Y-wing.  Thirdly, the turret.  I like its shape and the controls for it, but that piece should have at least had elevating guns and been able to rotate.

All in all, I do like the new Y-Wing and am glad Hasbro made it, but it could have been a real gem.
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 9, 2009, 03:08 PM »
One thing I didn't mention earlier too is that as much as I enjoy the ship, it didn't necessarily feel worth $60 to me either.  I think this would have been fine even as low as $45, although I know we'd never see that anymore.  I do wonder how much life this "deluxe" vehicle line will have in it.  It seems like a good place for the Twilight to appear, but I'm not sure what else.  I'm not sure, but didn't Hasbro say that OT (or "movie") vehicles wouldn't appear here (much like the "mini rig" line)?  If so, that sort of limits what could be put into this scale - at least at this point.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #176 on: October 9, 2009, 03:58 PM »
I would not consider Clone Wars to be EU...that's comics, books and video games, IMHO.

Clone Wars may not be written by Lucas but it is closely managed and sanctioned by the Man Himself in a way none of the other properties are. I would say it is quasi-canonical. I guess it's splitting hairs, but I feel like this is more than just a bunch of yahoos sitting around dreaming up their own shtick.

This is a pretty old argument across many forums...  There's only ever been one answer to it though as LFL officially has answered this in the past.  I see your point, so don't get me wrong, but LFL's own statement on what's canon and what isn't is that the films are the only canon, and everything else is considered Expanded Universe and part of the "official continuity".  Things like "Visionaries" are the only things not considered part of it.

I agree Lucas probably has his hand in on this more than many other things, but ultimately Dave Filoni is helming the ship.  Lucas leaves that "It's EU" thing there so he can basically alter any of it at any point if he wants.  Lucas isn't the one going through approving every character, design, or storyline in this though.  So he's still relatively uninvolved and relying on Feloni ultimately.

So that makes the YW's EU ultimately, till Lucas decides to slip them into the AOTC or ROTS deluxe DVD's! (coming at some point to a store near you because it's too irresistable a chance to make more money!)

Good EU though, I like them a lot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 9, 2009, 04:19 PM »
Good points, I'll buy that. I am 100% in favor of the films=canon only argument, so I will never argue against that logic. I guess my feeling is sort of that there are varying degrees of "EU-ness" and CW is pretty much the closest thing to the films continuity-wise. (Has to be because of the compressed timeframe)

Yeah, I'm just waiting to see a CGI-inserted Ahsoka somewhere in the next ROTS re-release.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #178 on: October 9, 2009, 05:38 PM »

This is a pretty old argument across many forums...  There's only ever been one answer to it though as LFL officially has answered this in the past.  I see your point, so don't get me wrong, but LFL's own statement on what's canon and what isn't is that the films are the only canon, and everything else is considered Expanded Universe and part of the "official continuity".  Things like "Visionaries" are the only things not considered part of it.

I agree Lucas probably has his hand in on this more than many other things, but ultimately Dave Filoni is helming the ship.  Lucas leaves that "It's EU" thing there so he can basically alter any of it at any point if he wants.  Lucas isn't the one going through approving every character, design, or storyline in this though.  So he's still relatively uninvolved and relying on Feloni ultimately.

So that makes the YW's EU ultimately, till Lucas decides to slip them into the AOTC or ROTS deluxe DVD's! (coming at some point to a store near you because it's too irresistable a chance to make more money!)

Good EU though, I like them a lot.

You guys need to read this interview: http://theforce.net/jedicouncil/interview/henrygilroyanddavefiloni.asp

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #179 on: October 9, 2009, 05:58 PM »

I'm all for adding Y-wings and even a few V-19s to an expanded opening scene of ROTS. That space battle was all too brief and it would be great to see something with a wider scope while tying the series into to the films. Hell, add Captain Rex to the 501st Legion that we see marching onto the Jedi Temple with Anakin/Vader while they are at it.  ;D
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird