Author Topic: CW Y-Wing Starfighter  (Read 52712 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: CW Y-Wing Starfighter
« Reply #180 on: October 9, 2009, 06:05 PM »
So that makes the YW's EU ultimately, till Lucas decides to slip them into the AOTC or ROTS deluxe DVD's! (coming at some point to a store near you because it's too irresistable a chance to make more money!)

I'm all for adding Y-wings and even a few V-19s to an expanded opening scene of ROTS. That space battle was all too brief and it would be great to see something with a wider scope while tying the series into to the films.

I'd dig that.  I agree that the battle was way to short.  Could stand to have a few extra minutes added in there, but I'm not rebuying anymore of these SW movies until they finally do them up in BR.

Makes you wonder though - will they tinker with these movies every 10-20 years or so?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 9, 2009, 06:11 PM »
So that makes the YW's EU ultimately, till Lucas decides to slip them into the AOTC or ROTS deluxe DVD's! (coming at some point to a store near you because it's too irresistable a chance to make more money!)

You know, that is the exact thing I was thinking of when I opened up the Y-Wing this week as well.  I wondered if Lucas would slip things like this (and the V-19 is another good example) into that opening sequence of ROTS.  It would probably be simple enough to do, as they could just be within the space battle that is entirely CGI anyways.  Would that bother anyone?  I can honestly say I don't think I'd mind it.  There are several updates that wouldn't bother me too much with the PT, while I can't say the same thing about the OT.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2009, 02:17 AM »
I totally agree on adding these to ROTS's opening sequence...  V-19's especially as they're pretty much the core fighter of the Clone Wars, according to what's written about them.  The Y-Wings I'd like to see too...  The ARC-170's a neat ship, but it really just doesn't look like something that would be the "go-to" fighter for dogfighting.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2009, 09:55 AM »
I think they should add a whole new opening sequence to ROTS. That one was terrible.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2009, 10:15 AM »
Yeah, I'm just waiting to see a CGI-inserted Ahsoka somewhere in the next ROTS re-release.

This is most certainly coming at some point. I have always felt that we will probably never see the "fate" of Ashoka and Rex in the Cartoon - sure they kill off the Jedi-of-the-week every once and a while, but they are usually introduced and killed in the same episode or within the same episode arc. The new Jedi you've never seen before are the Red Shirts of the Animated Clone Wars series.

My current thinking on this is that the show will end with Ashoka no longer being a Padawan and going off with her own troops. They are NEVER going to show her dying on the show. Captain Rex will offer to keep an eye on her for Anakin and ask to transfer to Ashoka's squad as their commander. Then when GL finally releases ROTS on BR, we'll get a new Order 66 scene where Ashoka is taken out by Captain Rex wearing the ROTS style armor - which after the cartoon being on for three or four seasons would make that scene incredibly powerful.

So if that is what's in the cards, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get the movies on BR for at least another three years.

I would be great if GL added some other vehicles to the mix in that opening battle - specifically the Y-Wings and the V-19s.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2009, 10:25 AM »

My current thinking on this is that the show will end with Ashoka no longer being a Padawan and going off with her own troops. They are NEVER going to show her dying on the show. Captain Rex will offer to keep an eye on her for Anakin and ask to transfer to Ashoka's squad as their commander. Then when GL finally releases ROTS on BR, we'll get a new Order 66 scene where Ashoka is taken out by Captain Rex wearing the ROTS style armor - which after the cartoon being on for three or four seasons would make that scene incredibly powerful.

That sounds great. I'm going to be really disappointed if this isn't what happens now. The Order 66 scene(s) are so powerful already and that would just top it off.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2009, 01:11 PM »

That sounds great. I'm going to be really disappointed if this isn't what happens now. The Order 66 scene(s) are so powerful already and that would just top it off.

I really like that idea too, but I don't think we'll see the last part about a SE scene.  The rest of the ending you've laid out would still be great though.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JabbaJoe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Life Sucks and Beats you Down and then you Die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 12, 2009, 09:17 AM »

I really like that idea too, but I don't think we'll see the last part about a SE scene.  The rest of the ending you've laid out would still be great though.

I really like this storyline too!  I think it would fit in the movie perfectly and answer the question of what happens to Ashoka.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2009, 10:23 AM »
How are the order 66 scenes already so powerful? At what point did the Jedi earn our sympathy?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2009, 10:29 AM »
How are the order 66 scenes already so powerful? At what point did the Jedi earn our sympathy?

How is the massacre of the Jedi Order not powerful, regardless of how you feel about the Jedi?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2009, 10:32 AM »
I still think it was highly implausible all of the clones instantly turned on the Jedi in the first place. It's not like they were subliminally programmed or anything, there's still a chain of command and I'm pretty sure "Lord of the Sith" does not outrank "General of the Republic Armies".

And are we really to believe ALL these clones were trained to understand and execute this order ahead of time and NONE of the Jedi got wind of it? Suuuuure.

TCW has already established that clones are capable of independent thought and action. (As with the traitor last season) So it seems highly improbably guys like Rex and Cody would have gone right along with this no questions asked.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2009, 10:37 AM »
I still think it was highly implausible all of the clones instantly turned on the Jedi in the first place.

It's actually super duper plausible since it's what happened in the movie. ;)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 12, 2009, 11:13 AM »
I still think it was highly implausible all of the clones instantly turned on the Jedi in the first place. It's not like they were subliminally programmed or anything, there's still a chain of command and I'm pretty sure "Lord of the Sith" does not outrank "General of the Republic Armies".

And are we really to believe ALL these clones were trained to understand and execute this order ahead of time and NONE of the Jedi got wind of it? Suuuuure.

First of all, a "Lord of the Sith" wasn't the person the GAR was responding to: it was actually to "Chancellor of the Republic", which is essentially the same thing as the US President being the Commander-in-Chief of the US military forces.  Going one step further, the background material for ROTS (BTS books and especially the novelization) stated that, at the beginning of the film, the Senate enacted a law (put forth by Palpatine surrogates) that gave the Chancellor direct, top-level command of the GAR *and* the Jedi Order (this explanation would have preceded his conversation appointing Anakin to the Jedi Council as her personal representative).  So, Order 66 was not given in Palpatine's capacity of Darth Sidious, but in his capacity as CIC of the GAR via a secured comm channel, and thus, regarded as a valid military order from the supreme commander of the military forces.

The Karen Traviss "Republic Commando" books (which are excellent reads, btw, and IMHO, one of the best things that the EU has given us) start each chapter with a background quote of some piece of the story that might not otherwise fit the narrative structure but is still important to understanding some of the motivations.  In one book (which might actually be "Order 66" although I can't recall) some of the GAR command code is listed; Order 66 was a contingency in the event of treason by the Jedi Order, with similar "Orders" in place for treason by other government entities, including the Chancellor himself.  This was apparently instilled in the clones from birth by the Kaminoans and the training process.  It's also stated in the ROTS novelization that the reason the Jedi didn't anticipate being murdered is because the clones did it without emotion or thought, implying that, to them, Order 66 was just another order that they were following.

All this being said, I've always preferred that Order 66 was a subconscious implant that Palpatine/Sidious triggered when the time was right, mostly due to the whole "independent thought" aspect of the clones that we've kind of seen a bit in the animated series, but also in the RC book series.  Kind of a "sleeper cell activation code" as it were, but LFL's kind of poo-pooed that theory by stating it was just an order and the clones were "just following orders" as it were. 

Back to the Y-Wing, I've been pretty happy with it as the weeks have passed and I've gotten used to it not as a new toy, but as a toy overall.  My only complaints are with the non-turning turret (it really couldn't have been that hard to make it rotate) and the rather superfluous label sheet.  Well, and the price, which is still about 25% more expensive than it realistically should have been.  Those things aside, though, I do think it's a great and well-designed toy.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2009, 11:22 AM »
Good points, Doc. I also think it would have been more believable to sell the heel-turn (to coin a wrestling phrase) as a sleeper cell subconscious programming, but yes, they do seem to have ruled this out.

How could the Kaminoans have programmed all that stuff 10 years ago though, before the Senate legislation was even conceived? Not even a Sith lord has the kind of freakish foresight.

I guess to me, it's the logistics that seem so improbable. In order to succeed, a LOT of clones and other people would have had to have known about Order 66. (Like, they all know it means execute the Jedi, but someone had to have TOLD them that, or it must have been in a manual somewhere) It would be next to impossible to implement that kind of thing in total secrecy. (IMO)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #194 on: October 12, 2009, 04:54 PM »
It's a "manchurian candidate" type thing, so I think it's plausible.  I never honestly had a problem with it.  I'm sure the more independant the Clone, the less likely they are to follow the order, but the true independant Clones are the ARC's, perhaps the Commandoes...  Commanders are trained by ARCs, according to EU, but they're not ARCs.  They're still the more simplified Clone design.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77