Author Topic: What Would Be the Last to Go?  (Read 5639 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
What Would Be the Last to Go?
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:31 AM »
It seems like a lot of us around here are looking into ways of cutting back, streamlining, or - in some cases - just all out quitting collecting a lot of things.  With prices going higher and, for a lot of us, space (storage or display) getting smaller, it starts to make you consider each purchase more and more (at least it does me).  Although there are some here who have better self control than others, I think a lot of us over the years have branched out into "other" lines as well.  I know that I went from picking up a few loose vintage figures I didn't have as a kid, to a few POTF2 figures, to basically the majority of the 3 3/4" Star Wars line before branching out into (among other things) Marvel, DC, LOTR, Indy, MOTU, GI Joe, SW Unleashed, SW Galactic Heroes, Transformers, and other things here and there.  When I think about what to cut back, I often tend to "prioritize" things I collect and narrow it down from there.  Sort of a ranking of all the various lines in my head I guess.  Anyways, in that sort of terms, what would be the last line/collection you would drop or let go of?  If you had to cut things down one by one, which would be the last standing?

Although other lines (that are more limited) would likely be the cheaper option, I would probably be entirely unoriginal and cut back to the Star Wars 3 3/4" action figures.  If I went even further, I would probably limit it to just the Original Trilogy figures (and these days, that seems to be a cheaper option anyways).  Another thing I always seem to pick something up here and there is Spider-Man stuff, and I suppose continuing on with his rogues/"world"/etc. would be another option.  The comic (Marvel/DC) stuff is where my primary "other" interests have been aside from SW, and if I cut down those, I'd probably just focus on Spidey and Batman "worlds".  But, overall, I'm guessing it would be down to the Original Trilogy basic figures if I had to cut out everything else.  If they continued with the line, I could probably cut it further to just the VOTC/VTSC figures - although I'd miss out on the "all new" stuff, which would be tougher.  I suppose it would be significantly cheaper this way though.  Its still hard to believe how much things have branched out - at least for me personally - since I first start picking up Star Wars figures again.  I never knew there was (or would be) so much stuff out there, and that I'd be picking some of these things up.  Anyways, what would be the "last line standing" for you?

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Re: What Would Be the Last to Go?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 01:44 PM »
In order of importance to me...

Star Wars
Sports Figures
Transformers
Stargate Figures
Wolverines
Customer Wolverines
Wolverine Rouge Gallery
Movie Toys
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 01:52 PM »
The normal 3 & 3/4 line would be the last.  I could see myself quitting everything else, but that would be the hardest one to drop.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 03:06 PM »
I'll quit when I run out of space.  Then I'll probably end up thinning the herd by 75% to have a manageable collection.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 03:37 PM »
My order of importance:

Hellboy
Marvel
Starwars
Dc
Transformers
Movie Figs
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 03:38 PM by 212th Battalion »
Momar and Fester

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 04:09 PM »
What I currently collect in order of importance:

1.  ARAH GI Joe and Cobra army builders and other missing vehicles.
2.  G1 Transformers
3.  Comic Books
4.  GI Joe Club and Convention exclusives.
5.  25th GI Joe figures, playsets and vehicles.
6.  Transformers Universe, Masterpiece and some club exclusives.
7.  Star Wars LEGO - Original Trilogy.
8.  Misc. LEGO sets.
9.  Occasional Marvel Legends, Spider-Man, DC Universe figures.  Also, some minimates.
8.  Occasional Hasbro Star Wars items.  This would be and almost is off my radar.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:15 PM by spiderpumpkin »

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 04:14 PM »
I'll quit when I run out of space.  Then I'll probably end up thinning the herd by 75% to have a manageable collection.

you keep upgrading storage facilities to get more space. At what point would you say that you have run out of space?
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 04:55 PM »
10x20 is my limit on storage.  Don't forget that I have room for a second story in there, but I'd probably stop before I get to that point though.

If all else mattered - I'd likely dump 95% of my SW collection (3 3/4 figs, box sets, vehicles, GH, Tites, Unleashed etc...) and just keep my G1/reissues/MPs & 25th Joes and vehicles if it came down to it.  Transformers and Joes all get opened so I could easily manage that.

I would have to go cold turkey on any one line If I were forced to start cutting back.  No scaling back for me thanks to my OCD.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 08:14 PM »
Star Wars would be last for me...  My military stuff before that.  That's really all I collect at this point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 08:49 PM »
I picked up the Indy line this year and have been picking up GI Joe figures along the way as well.  But going forward, with Indy ending and Joe heading to the movie style, there will be less money spent on those lines anyway.  Prior to this year I was really only collecting Star Wars anyway and that's all I see going forward.

I've already cut back on my SW budget since the end of 2005 although last year was somewhat of an exception at least as far as the carded figures go, I bought the main line in order to put a coin collection together.

I'm down to mainly the 3.75" line of figures with the odd vehicle or if I find a good discount (most recent Target exclusive vehicles at $9.99 or less, for example) on something.  If I cut back further I'll probably drop to just the two focus collections I have; AT-AT Driver and Republic Gunship.  I've also had a thing for the oddball items like paperwork, books and promotion type items, things you can pick up cheap or free, I'm sure I'd still find some time for stuff like that.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 09:33 PM »
If all else mattered - I'd likely dump 95% of my SW collection (3 3/4 figs, box sets, vehicles, GH, Tites, Unleashed etc...)

Just remember your buddies here that like to backfill :)

I limit myself on what I buy, and that's just 3 3/4" figures, and even with them I am limiting them to movie figures and don't buy repacks/repaints or redos of characters if I can help it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:34 PM by Darth Vlad »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 10:49 PM »
Just dawned on me the IJ figures...  Hah.

I guess the line dying made me forget.  Yeah, I dunno...  I'd probably sell off most of that first actually.  Only because Hasbro tanked it so badly, and it's now not a complete line by any means.  I'd certainly unload it before my WW2 figures.

I have a lot of modern and Nam figures/vehicles I'd sell out of my military collection as well, before I touched WW2 items.  Nam/modern never much interested me and I bought it only sparingly, but it's mounted up for sure.  Lots of modern armor though, and I'd gladly part with any of it for a fair price.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 10:19 AM »
In order of Purge....

Any Prequel Stuff
Indy
OT
25th Joe...

That being said, I have not bought a star wars figure in about a year.  I will buy figures that are "ultimate" versions to replace older ones..(ie Stormtrooper Han and Luke)...

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 10:44 AM »
With two little ones at home, mortgage, etc. I've had to limit myself a lot more than I used to.  So I guess I've already had to make this decision.  Today I only buy a couple LEGO sets a year, usually the medium to smaller sized ones, I usually pick up a figure or two a month, an occasional Galactic Hero two-pack and almost none of the battlepacks.  My Wife really likes the look of the Mighty Muggs, so that's one area that I've splurged in, but I've collected very little else.  No vehicles, no Titanium collection, no other licenses and definitely not any of the higher end stuff.  Not toy related, but I used to try and pick up Star Wars comics on a relatively regular basis, but that along with buying new Star Wars books and video games has had to be curtailed.
I am not the Stig

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 11:37 AM »
I currently collect SW and Halo stuff. I along with my wife used to collect other lines, though none 100%. We've since all but cut those out. There is an occasional piece that I'll pick up of something else. Typically those are one-shot items, for instance Kratos from "God of War." I did pick up 3 HellboyII figs. But I'm not actively pursuing that line.

For Halo, I've already made the decision NOT to collect anything from the upcoming Halo Wars toyline. I'm only getting ONE 12 inch figure, that being Master Chief. I may get the Arbiter if he's ever made. Other than that it's strictly the 5 in. scale figs. I don't army build those so they are relatively cheap to collect when compared to SW. Though, if forced to choose, I'd drop Halo toys before SW.

SW would be the last to go, but which facets in which order to trim those down might be hard. I currently collect:
Figures (this includes single carded, comic packs, battle and ultra packs)
Ships/vehicles
Galactic Heroes
GG busts

Of those I'd drop Galactic heroes first, then begrudgingly the busts. Ships go hand in hand with the figs, but since there aren't that many left that I really want, I'm not so concerned about dropping them.

I've vastly cut down on the amount of figures I get now.
I've stated before that I made a long term plan for SW collecting last year. That was to cut my budget in half (down to $3K) for 2008. Then in half again to $1,500 for 2009. Then to $600 (or 10% of my budget for 2007) for 2010. So far this cutback has been very realistic and I've not gone over budget. Though the Halo figures have dipped into what I had otherwise planned on saving, I'm still ahead of it all.

Cutting back on massive army building has really saved me a bundle. It used to be I'd get a minimum of 20 of nearly any given troop made. Some 40 of and some others even more than that. Now I'm content with 5-6 with the rare 10 of a troop. There just isn't any major trooper left to do (to me) that was seen in great quantity from the movies. So my decision to cut back on army building is made all that much easier due to that fact.

Yes, some can be remade into better figures and I'll get some of them, but for the most part I'm satisfied with what has already been produced (with exceptions of course).

Having this long term plan has really helped me in my collecting goals. Not only am I getting fewer things, but I have more money for other things.

Beyond this, in 2010 I plan on finally starting my large dioramas (if not sooner if I'm lucky enough to have the extra room and money for this). So while collecting may all but die for me, my fandom will remain active, just shifted to a different focus. Though I'll still by SW toys according to my diorama desires.

-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010