Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic  (Read 51966 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2012, 01:47 AM »
Shmash, the only MMORPG I've ever played was Everquest waaaaay back when I first got my PS2 hooked up to the Internet (like 10 years ago), and that was only a month long trial. I have a coworker playing, which was why I snagged the game in the first place.

Runs fine on my year old laptop, although I have it set on "low" graphic settings. Characters still look fantastic though, and the only thing I don't get to see is all the details in walls and floors. Oh no!

Anyway, I'm on the Harbinger server as a Bounty Hunter named Dralco, although I'm hoping I can get an account on a server with some JD peeps.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2012, 02:44 AM »
My gf's kid's laptop isn't running it so well, or they're on when it's really busy or something.  NOt sure which could be the case, so I'm (still) downloading and gonna see how it rolls on this laptop...  I figure if it's smooth enough on semi decent settings, I'm probably in.  If not, I'm passing till I someday get a new desktop.  My desktop is really outdated and I've needed one for years now, but just haven't taken the plunge to have a new machine built.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2012, 10:51 AM »
@Diddly, heh I played that version of EQ also (I still have my copy of that PS2 version), plus, before that I played on the computer.  Then I did a little Dark Ages of Camelot, some Guild Wars, and a whole lot of WoW (I was on a top rading guild on our server before we all crash and burned of boredom/grinding). 

Anyway, about SWTOR, when I did the BETA it was on my desktop which I am pretty sure I built it around 2 years ago and I made it near top of the line at the time - the game always ran smooth as silk for me during BETA.  I am pretty sure this game does not require the most demanding of CPU requirements, but it also delivers.

The game is really easy to get the hang of, just remember to go find your trainers and train up when you lvl.  I had no clue where the BH trainer was when I did the beta and I got to like lvl 12 with ease using like only 3 skills or something before I finally found him (I must not have been paying attention somewhere). 

The only thing holding me back is time and money, and my weight (235-240)...  lol!  I am trying to get more active and this would do the exact opposite...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2012, 02:31 PM »
I played for about an hour last night...  On low settings (and my PC is almost exactly one year old) it still was slightly choppy till I got to a large building with lots of activity where it got insanely choppy.  I set everything to the lowest settings and it's running smoother.  Kind of disappointed in that, but it is running smoothly at the lowest settings which is good.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Well, I thought I was going to get some playing in tonight, but dang this DL is huge!  Game requires 25 gigs?  lol  I made the wrong decision installing on my SSD.  I have no room left!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Installed and playing...  fun...  thinking of buying it now.  Ugh.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2012, 08:24 PM »
So I haven't played the game since maybe mid-May and I'm seriously considering getting rid of my account. I know people on WoW sell theirs and I'd like to do something similar, except I'm considering just giving the thing away since I've hardly played, and having whoever takes it just take over the monthly bill and such.

Anybody here interested? :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2012, 06:07 PM »
HK-51 revealed:  http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20120716

looks like he would be a simple repaint to make a toy out of him

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 7, 2012, 04:05 AM »
I posted this on the JD facebook page yesterday but thought I would throw it down here, I picked up the CE of this game for $30 from K-mart's website yesterday.  I believe Newegg was selling it for this price too.  The game price is dropping through the floor because the game is going "free to play to lvl 50" in the fall.  I guess people still wanting to play the game still have to purchase the game, but then it goes F2P. 

All this is happening because subscribers has dipped below 1 million.

And I seriously purchased stock in EA because of this game....   :'(

If anyone is still wanting to nab the CE of this game I would recommend keeping a watchful eye out - these things start to pop up frequently all around the web.  I would suspect Amazon will sell it at this price soon-ish. 

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 7, 2012, 11:01 AM »
Wow!  Ultra fast shipping from K-Mart.  I got it already today!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 7, 2012, 11:20 AM »
I've never played an MMO - hell I still have probably 20 PS3 games to get through, but might keep my eye out for this at $30
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: August 7, 2012, 12:05 PM »
might keep my eye out for this at $30

If you don't want the fancy "collector edition" packaging/goodies, you can get the game alone for $15 (Best Buy) or less, just $13 at Kmart.

I picked up the basic game on sale for just $5 at Best Buy a few weeks ago...
« Last Edit: August 7, 2012, 12:08 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 7, 2012, 12:23 PM »
That's not bad either, but I'll probably never get around to playing the game so packaging and goodies for me please - if I can find... :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 7, 2012, 03:17 PM »
Picked up the last CE at The Kmart.  Cashier lady didn't want to sell it to me because the box was too big for $30 and she also wanted to open it up to make sure there were no hidden surprises in there?  WTF ?  Anyways....Nice set   8) 

Thanks for chiming in there when you did Smash!

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 7, 2012, 05:04 PM »
no problem man!  I am probably going to put it off before I start playing it, but the set is awesome and so is the Malgus st

and wow, $5 for the basic version....   there goes the stock prices!  lol  when the price break even with the cost I purchased at I am ditching the stock I think
« Last Edit: August 7, 2012, 05:05 PM by shmashwitdaclub »