Author Topic: Legacy Wave 12 - The Empire Strikes Back  (Read 117585 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Wave 12 - The Empire Strikes Back (Fall 2009)
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2009, 10:15 AM »

His head does NOT fit the new X-Wing body or the A-Wing body.  That sorta bites.  It's the right sculpt but just too large to fit the neck ball on those two.  He also just barely doesn't fit the Hoth Rebel.  That sucks.  :( 

I use the toilet paper solution for that. Stuff a small wad in the neck hole and it usually holds.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2009, 12:11 PM »
Or hot glue.  I think a customizer had a tutorial for it.

I really like this figure too, I got one in the mail too.

The HAT not fitting is the most annoying part, especially since the inside of the hat is sculpted to fit on the figures "part" in his hair. 

I disagree with JJ on the fact that it to me it DOES make my POTJ Bespin Guards obsolete.   The superior sculpt and articulation pretty much dwarf all that the POTJ one is.  But I am now to the point in my colleting where I only keep or buy the "Ultimate" of any figure available. (especially my armies). 

My box had a Willrow in it too.  But that is not my review to do....

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2009, 10:30 AM »
Or hot glue. 

Interesting. I assume they did it in a way that the head wasn't permanently attached?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2009, 03:22 PM »
Hot glue wouldn't permanently attach much of anything plastic actually.  It's good with some materials, but plastic isn't one of them.

Actually a lot of people try super glue, and move the joint around so there's no bonding.  It creates an extra layer to the joint thickening it up similar to Paul's Hot Glue method.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2009, 04:24 PM »

I do hope Mr. Pearson has received a similar box, at the very least with Willrow.  I wouldn't suggest for a second you shouldn't have it Paul, but it would seem fitting for Scott to get an early look.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2009, 11:35 PM »
Actually a lot of people try super glue, and move the joint around so there's no bonding.  It creates an extra layer to the joint thickening it up similar to Paul's Hot Glue method.

I actually use super glue when my lightsabers snap,and it's worked, but I've only tried it on a ball-jointed arm once before ... didn't work  :(
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2009, 01:26 AM »

Wouldn't it make more sense to spread it around the inside of the head or the outside of the neck and let it dry first, then put it all back together?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2009, 01:42 AM »

Wouldn't it make more sense to spread it around the inside of the head or the outside of the neck and let it dry first, then put it all back together?

When you move the joint (after you put the super glue in) it spreads the glue around, and it won't be too thick. super glue doesn't air cure very fast either, so putting it in the joint is actually faster. I've used this method to tighten several limbs and it has always worked very well for me. 
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2009, 10:45 AM »
Wow, thanks guys. I'll have to start using one of those mods.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2009, 11:49 AM »

I do hope Mr. Pearson has received a similar box, at the very least with Willrow.  I wouldn't suggest for a second you shouldn't have it Paul, but it would seem fitting for Scott to get an early look.

I agree 100% and made sure that was the case.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2009, 12:37 PM »

When you move the joint (after you put the super glue in) it spreads the glue around, and it won't be too thick. super glue doesn't air cure very fast either, so putting it in the joint is actually faster. I've used this method to tighten several limbs and it has always worked very well for me. 

How does it not fuse the head and neck together leaving them complete immobile? 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2009, 12:58 PM »
How does it not fuse the head and neck together leaving them complete immobile? 

By keeping the joint in motion, you allow the glue to coat and bond to the plastic of the joint but essentially not stick to itself. 

Instead of a permanent plastic-glue-plastic bond, you end up with a plastic-glue  glue-plastic situation and the joint still moves freely.

Like Ryan and Jesse said, the key is to keep the joint moving until you're sure the glue is set.  There have been a few times with customs I didn;t keep it moving long enough and did accidentally glue a joint closed.  :( 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2009, 05:35 PM »

I agree 100% and made sure that was the case.

Excellent.  It must be quite the joyous time in Pearsonland.   :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 2, 2009, 01:20 PM »
I read somewhere that if you are going to use the hot glue method for tightening up a head socket the easy way to do it is coat the neck post in vasoline.  After doing that you put hot glue into the head and then put the two together - the vasoline barrier will keep the two seperate.

I think by doing it this way you may not need to worry about the joint gluing shut.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #164 on: November 2, 2009, 02:08 PM »
With things like hot glue and really super glue, you actually can't fuse the joints together so they'd "break apart" easily enough and you could try cleaning them out and whatnot.  Only certain materials actually fuse plastics together, especially the polyvinyl figures are made out of these days (generally).

The problem with the vasoline idea is it can mix with the hot glue...  Making the hot glue essentially not stick to much of anything.  Hot glue's a weird thing...  It's kind of actually similar to heating plastic and injecting it, ala the production of figures.  I've actually injected hot glue into molds and come out with a cast that wasn't too bad. :)  It's of course a poor material to cast with though but not bad for prototyping.

Anyway, mixing the vaseline with the glue can ruin the overall effort, just a word of warning.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77