Author Topic: Legacy Wave 12 - The Empire Strikes Back  (Read 117605 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Legacy Wave 12 - The Empire Strikes Back (Fall 2009)
« Reply #195 on: November 21, 2009, 01:56 AM »
Makes me wonder what his scenes involved then...  Why go to the trouble of slipping an alien in, the make-up and all, to cut him out then completely?  Makes one wonder if he had some deeper story impact ala Lobot or something.  His uniform looks like it has some unique piping to it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Simdog

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 29, 2009, 02:18 PM »
Makes me wonder what his scenes involved then...  Why go to the trouble of slipping an alien in, the make-up and all, to cut him out then completely?  Makes one wonder if he had some deeper story impact ala Lobot or something.  His uniform looks like it has some unique piping to it.

The actor that played Lobot said in an old interview that there were some scenes cut from the Cloud City escapes which, for the time, was considered top be kind of graphic. I am pretty sure he inferred that Lobot got shot and perhaps some Bespin Guards. You know how Lucas didn't like to have humans getting killed in his SW films so perhaps the alien Bespin Guard was there for that purpose. Maybe he was in those cut scenes.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #197 on: November 30, 2009, 01:50 AM »
That's not a bad theory...  A human-ish guy getting gunned down.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 30, 2009, 03:00 AM »

The actor that played Lobot said in an old interview that there were some scenes cut from the Cloud City escapes which, for the time, was considered top be kind of graphic. I am pretty sure he inferred that Lobot got shot and perhaps some Bespin Guards. You know how Lucas didn't like to have humans getting killed in his SW films so perhaps the alien Bespin Guard was there for that purpose. Maybe he was in those cut scenes.

Ah, good ol' John Hollis!  A very nice guy when I met him at Celebration 2.

The tone of EMPIRE was definitely a good deal darker than ANH.  A scene with Stormtroopers gunning down Bespin Guards might have been a step in too dark of a direction.  It's funny though.  There's decent documentation of the deleted scenes from the Hoth part of the movie.  I had never heard about any from Cloud City.  Still, when the OT gets issued on Blu Ray it would be nice to finally get some of these deleted scenes.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #199 on: December 1, 2009, 04:26 PM »
I cracked this wave open and here is my quick review:

Luke Snowspeeder pilot - Awesome! Superb detailing, excellent head sculpt all around a clear winner. He will not disappoint at all. (I cannot wait to slap on a CP Lumiya pack Luke head on this.)
ICMG - Wonderfully executed. The only thing missing is the commlink headgear otherwise a great nod to one of the most obscure characters. Face could have been a little rounder but I really like him!
Zuckass - Another fantastic figure! The preview pictures did not do him justice. Wonderful detail and deco, kiss the old one goodbye and send him back to the 90's.
Bespin guard - The great figures keep coming in this wave. The best parts about this sculpt is his neck ball joint, it is a more common size so these should be very easy to customize. the alien has white skin so you can make a lot out of him and I plan on using the Rebel Vanguard head to make the Black Bespin Guard that was behind Lando when the Falcon landed.
Joe Jonhson Snowtrooper - Yet another amazing figure in this wave. A really cool looking Trooper that works for both eras. A surprise army builder here the sleeper of the wave!
R2-X2 - An surprisingly cooler and more accurate deco to the previous version, I actually like this figure more than I thought I would.
AT-AT Driver - Absolutely horrendous. The only nice part to this figure is the 70's headsculpt of Jango. The proportion are way off, the feet are too small for wearing snow boots, the painted white helmet looks glossy and bad this is the only dud. The Saga2 version is way better, this was a wasted (and not needed) reculpt that took away from another potential character.
HK-50 - Excellent the first time around and really shiny metallic awesome this time around!

Overall one of the strongest waves this year, could have been the strongest had it not been for the AT-AT-Driver. At least the head was cool.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #200 on: December 1, 2009, 04:35 PM »

Bespin guard - The great figures keep coming in this wave. The best parts about this sculpt is his neck ball joint, it is a more common size so these should be very easy to customize. the alien has white skin so you can make a lot out of him and I plan on using the Rebel Vanguard head to make the Black Bespin Guard that was behind Lando when the Falcon landed.

Wait, which version did you get - the alien or the black one?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #201 on: December 1, 2009, 08:39 PM »

Wait, which version did you get - the alien or the black one?

The Black one. Star Trek Boy does not hit until next wave. I was just commenting on that figure to make White Bespin Guards. I am experimenting with heads now. I will throw up some pics shortly.....

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 1, 2009, 09:03 PM »
Saw two Willrow Hoods at Wal-Mart this evening, no other figures from the wave.  Bought one.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #203 on: December 1, 2009, 10:25 PM »
I already incorporated these dudes in my display:

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #204 on: December 1, 2009, 10:52 PM »
Wow, that bespin guard looks bad - and not in a good way. Reminds me of Gene Wilder in See No Evil, Hear No Evil
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #205 on: December 1, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Wow, that bespin guard looks bad - and not in a good way. Reminds me of Gene Wilder in See No Evil, Hear No Evil

Overall the figure is nice but "The Black Bespin Guard" does not really look Black. Your Gene Wilder description is pretty dead on. I am dremmeling the Rebel Vangaurd head, it looks sweet on him and movie accurate.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #206 on: December 1, 2009, 11:18 PM »
I've had the Bespin Guard for a while...  He's tall.  That was my only real gripe with him.  At least my only major one.  To me he wraps up a need for BG's ever now.  I'd like an SA white one and an Asian one with the big mustache so the vintage is taken care of, but beyond that I really am fine with the sculpt they've got out now.

Nice to hear this wave's hitting though I don't relish looking for another new wave right away considering what I spent on the last stuff that I found in rapid succession.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 2, 2009, 02:45 AM »
Dude ... NICE pics.  ;)

I think the Bespin Guard looks pretty spiffy.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2009, 02:46 AM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 2, 2009, 09:24 AM »

You're right, Jay. Looks like the reused some Imperial officer's head and molded it with a different fleshtone, though the ethnicity sticks out so bad.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 2, 2009, 11:48 AM »
Is the Luke short like the previous pilot Lukes or is he a normal height?