Author Topic: Legacy Wave 8 - The Phantom Menace  (Read 42258 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Legacy Wave 8 - The Phantom Menace (Fall 2009)
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2009, 05:00 PM »
There's diversity among them so even if there was a difference, I didn't plan on retiring my dozen or so POTJ figures.  They'll go ok together regardless.  It is neat having an SA one though. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2009, 05:03 PM »
I already dumped my old ones, but that's still good to know.

Regarding Newforce and D&S, that does suck terribly.  D&S was far and away my favorite place to order from... I remember getting the AOTC figures from them almost 3 weeks before they hit retail and they were just $5.00 a figure (sigh).

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2009, 06:07 PM »
There's diversity among them so even if there was a difference, I didn't plan on retiring my dozen or so POTJ figures. 

Yeah I know there's diversity, taller ones and shorter ones etc. - but the real issue is that sometimes a new version of a figure comes out and looks just soooo much better than the older version, that the older version looks ridiculous when displayed next to the new version.

For example, POTF2 stormie vs. VOTC stormie, or the VTSC snowtrooper vs. the POTF2 snowie.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2009, 06:47 PM »
Well that goes without saying...  POTJ didn't really have that problem though.  Everything's pretty much good looking and fits in, it's just under-articulated...  POTF2 stuff almost always doesn't look right though.  Very few still fit in with modern stuff from the older eras...  mostly droids.

2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2009, 10:35 AM »
Popped these guy open last night. Another well done wave. Seems Obi-Wan was designed to have the ball jointed hips, but does not. My only other minor complaint is that my Rum Sleg doesn't want to stand. Love the Sideous Hologram.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2009, 01:30 PM »
I already dumped my old ones, but that's still good to know.

Regarding Newforce and D&S, that does suck terribly.  D&S was far and away my favorite place to order from... I remember getting the AOTC figures from them almost 3 weeks before they hit retail and they were just $5.00 a figure (sigh).

I dumped mine too but kept the shields so I can mix up the weaponry on the new ones. I have 6 Gungans en rote right now, I have a nice size Gungan Army with x2 Fambaas, The Funky Falumalump Goat Cart & the Catapult.

While I can respect the desire to keep older figures I prefer to liquidate and get the room for newer stuff. I have dumped 85% of all my POTF2 era stuff including vehicles. The stuff is just too dated anymore for my tastes, I try to dump it before the updated versions come out while there is still some value left. (I did that with the Falcon and got $85 for a loose OTC Falcon so it paid for half of the BMF version.) I also have phased out most of the POTJ & AOTC 2002 Saga figures I have outside of Senators, Aliens & 4 static Jedi. I really only want to have 2004 era and up in my collection with a few exceptions.

D&S & NFC back in the day was the knockers, they got stuff a month in advance on average. I really think Hasbro put the screws to them in regards to distribution.

I am really looking forward to this wave, hopefully they will be in hand by weeks end.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Has TPM Wave been spotted at any TRU's yet?
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2009, 10:21 AM »
I know they have been stocked at Walmart, and are starting to trickle in to Target, but I have yet to see or hear of any sightings at TRU.

Has ANYONE seen the new Phantom Menace wave figures at a Toys R Us yet?

Any ideas why not? ("Because they suck" IS an acceptable answer)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Has TPM Wave been spotted at any TRU's yet?
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2009, 10:23 AM »
Hell, I havn't even see the last two waves at any of those stores yet. Too much clone wars and legends carp.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2009, 10:36 AM »
I wouldn't expect to see this wave en masse anywhere for at least 2-3 more weeks.

I have found it twice at Target so far and that is it.

I have found the new comic packs and the new battle packs at TRU already, so they are getting new stuff. 

But I wouldn't count on being able to walk into TRU and find any TPM figure you want until at least mid-October.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2009, 10:39 AM »
TRU Legacy distribution has been horrible. The last wave that my local store received was the Hoth Wave. Even the Legends waves has been non-existent. My guess is that with the CW's popularity, they're devoting there resources to supporting that line.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2009, 11:13 AM »
TRU Legacy distribution has been horrible. The last wave that my local store received was the Hoth Wave. Even the Legends waves has been non-existent. My guess is that with the CW's popularity, they're devoting there resources to supporting that line.

Yeah, one would think, but around they got hardly any of the latest CW waves either and have yet to re-stock on those at all. All they have is the old style packaging.

I find it ridiculous that they re-installed their whole CW mega-display section and just threw up bits and pieces of old merchandise. What is the point?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2009, 11:18 AM »

I find it ridiculous that they re-installed their whole CW mega-display section and just threw up bits and pieces of old merchandise. What is the point?

Haha, yeah, well the point was I guess that it was time to take G.I. Joe down.  That stuff is starting to sit and decompose around here like a month-old container of lo mein.  And there's a ton of it.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2009, 11:52 AM »
I just cracked these opened up last night, overall nice wave but I was not blown away it's a 50/50 wave.

-Obi-Wan is great, a very well done figure.
- Rum Slegg is a really cool alien that will look very natural in OTC Cantina scenes.
- The Gungun is fantastic blows away the POTJ one. (Only minus is the lack of shield and arm tattoos)
- Sidious Hold Droid thing is really nice, great articulation but it's......not exciting.
- Padme is a salt shaker and really dumb and forgettable. She will make great figure foundation at the bottom of your storage case.
- Pod racer dude  is well done, paint & articulation are top notch but it's a podracer alien and 90% of the are stupid. They rank up there with the SE added Band members. Another figure that will never see the light of display in my collection.
- L8-L9 is very cartoonish but very accurate to the source material. My least favorite BAD but he is good for what he is.

The recent case ratios suck, half the case is loaded with repacks. I am selling these MOC if anyone is interested, there is enough for another L8-L9. Otherwise I will return them to the store when I buy extras of later waves. I also have some Geo extras too. (Sorry for the cheap sale plug but I have to raise some funds to replace all the money spent this week.)
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2009, 04:16 PM »
I, of course, saw these at Target this morning on the same day that my shipment from BBTS was coming in.  Could have saved a few bucks, but oh well.  I did pick up an extra Obi-Wan and Gungan Warrior though, and it was nice to see some new Legacy on the pegs finally.  I do like these cardbacks much more than the blue/white Legacy stuff though - nice to have a big character photo included again.

Offline JabbaJoe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Life Sucks and Beats you Down and then you Die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2009, 08:27 AM »
- Padme is a salt shaker and really dumb and forgettable. She will make great figure foundation at the bottom of your storage case.

I totally agree, this has to be one of the worst figure sculpts Hasbro has ever done. >:(  I could have sworn this figure was supposed to have real hair with the purple fabric hair net/covering from pictures I had seen of this figure originally, not the awful sculpted purple plastic hair that it has. >:(