Author Topic: Sub-Line Ideas?  (Read 3152 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Sub-Line Ideas?
« on: November 9, 2008, 10:17 PM »
Y'know, I really enjoyed the McQuarrie sub-line last year, and there's nothing really like it this year.  I like the idea of a small group of odd characters that make up their own little line, and I've been thinking about one other one I'd like to see.

I'd live the see "real" versions of all of the Holo Chess characters.  I'd like one a wave, in a package that was kind of different.  Sure, two of them would be really really big (Hermi Odle of Muftak big) but the rest could be average size.  It wouldn't be for everyone, but isn't that a sub-line is for?  Wildy obscure stuff that doesn't need to be made in large numbers?

Anyway, now that we actually have McQuarrie figures, those are my new dream toys!

What about you?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: Sub-Line Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 9, 2008, 11:32 PM »
I think a "deleted scene" subline would work well, and the 3 sandstorm figures could have kicked it off.  You could also have Lando and Leia sandstorm, Camie, Fixer, the Biggs from last year, and for you prequel lot out there: Padme's family from Ep2 (though they did have a cameo during the funeral).
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 9, 2008, 11:51 PM »
Deleted Scenes would be cool - there's still plenty of concept art that could be made.

Other than that, it's pretty much all EU...

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:19 AM »
My #1 wanted sub-line is Droids and Ewoks characters. I think i want them in a realistic style but i want all of them made especially the never before made ones.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 09:09 AM »
Daigo-Bah's right, the sandstorm figures would have been perfect to kick of a deleted scene sub-line. One figure per wave.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Two words: Holiday Special.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Two words: Holiday Special.

Lucasfilm: Two words "No way!"
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 04:38 PM »
How about a "Heroes of the:" line.
Heroes of the Empire could be Baron Fel, or Tank Sunber...
Heroes of the Rebellion could be Wedge or Lt. Page (I think he was featured in the X-Wing series as a commando officer).
Heroes of the Republic could feature a new Cody or SA Commando or Admiral Yularen (a non-jedi hero)
I'm not sure who a hero of the CIS would be, but I'm sure there is someone logical.  General Grevious w/ Cape, maybe?
Heroes of the Mandolorians could be Jaster Mereel or a Neo-Crusader or something.
They could do a hero of the Wookiee, though I think Chewie is the best known Wookiee.
I am not the Stig

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:46 PM »
Wow.  Love the cut scenes ideas.  I've been thinking lately that Lucasfilm is very good at attracting new fans, but not always keeping long time fans.  Things like cut scenes figures and the Holiday figures would be a real bone to throw the 77 crowd.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 08:14 PM »
My #1 wanted sub-line is Droids and Ewoks characters. I think i want them in a realistic style but i want all of them made especially the never before made ones.

Mega-ditto.  I'd kick a puppy (or two) if it meant seeing toys of the Fromm Gang... realistic or otherwise.   (I'm incredibly biased toward the first cycle Thall Joben/Jord Dusast episodes but the rest had some neat stuff in them, too.)

I'd also love to see Chewbacca's family (who DO appear in the Marvel Comics series as well as the Wookiee Storybook and the Chewbacca mini-series) as they did make it out there beyond the holiday special.  Ackmeena may be a tougher sell, but there's absolutely no reason the Wookiee family couldn't be made.  The Holiday Special is just one piece of media, there are many books/comics in which they appear.

We seem to be getting more than a few deleted scene figures-- Floppy Hat Luke, R2-D2 with Boosters (Episode I), Geonosian with Massif, Mon Mothma (ROTS), Biggs Darklighter, and so on... so no worries there.

It's difficult if not impossible to come up with something as compelling as those McQuarrie figures, and it amazes me when I look on eBay today how low they go-- we truly have no attention span for this stuff. :)  $1 + shipping for Vader?  Craziness.  Although if I *were* to have to suggest something, I'd say drop the "vintage" line and just do "vintage"-style figures inserted in the regular case, like what the G.I. Joe line did.  One or two classic figures per assortment would definitely get my attention going, and it wouldn't really cost much.  Heck, it could just be a package variant, I'd shell out for a vintage-inspired packaging variant of, say, Darth Maul or Jango or even a Power Droid.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News