Author Topic: Who Watches the Watchmen?  (Read 38069 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: Who Watches the Watchmen?
« Reply #135 on: March 7, 2009, 06:28 AM »
I saw it last night, and really liked it a lot.  I saw it with a friend who had never read the comic, and I think he was just lost (and I think he expected a Fantastic Four or X-Men type of movie) though.

I could kind of tell that there was not only a lot of the comic story left out, but that there are things that were filmed that were left out.  I expect that the seven and a half hour director's cut release will be a little more congruent. For the most part, though, I think that capturing as much of the book as they were able to do was quite an achievement.

I also have to say, I thought the modified ending worked well in the movie.

The only complaints I have are that Matthew Goode sounded like the goofy priest from The Princess Bride at times, and some of the old people make-up (e.g., Sally Jupiter, Nixon) looked kind of bad. 

The Dr. Manhattan effects were great inasmuch as I never really thought of him as an effect.

Rorschach and Comedian could not have been cast any better, and I lost count of how many ways Malin Ackerman is hot.

I've already got tickets to see it later today in IMAX.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 7, 2009, 06:48 AM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 7, 2009, 10:16 AM »
Didn't love it, didn't hate it. I think they did as good a job as they could have. Jackie Earle Haley was masterful though.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #137 on: March 7, 2009, 02:44 PM »
I thought it was great...especially in IMAX!

I thought the modified ending was good, but they could've gone with the original comic plot and not had to add too much to the movie.

Still...it was enjoyable.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #138 on: March 7, 2009, 03:37 PM »
Just got back from it. Very enjoyable. I went into it blind, never reading the comic or knowing the story really in any way. I sure didn't expect that much porking and full frontal blue dong at 10:45am but I didn't mind it. But I'm sure the husband and wife with their 2 small (under 12) kids were taken aback by it.

Rorschach was definitely my favorite character and I liked the Comedian, except for when he was kicking the **** out of Silk Spectre that was a little much for me. Music selection was a little distracting at times where it didn't sound "period correct" but the whole story was of a different timeline so I quickly got past it.

Overall I'd give it a solid 3.5 out of 4 stars.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2009, 03:39 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 7, 2009, 05:25 PM »
This was a very "different" movie.  I liked it, but it was odd.  Rorschach was a ******* bad ass.  I LOVED his character.  Doctor Manhattan is a mystery.  The comedian should have been in the entire movie versus what happend.  It started so beautifully with him.  Left the theatre with many questions - as a non comic reader.

Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 7, 2009, 07:50 PM »
I sure didn't expect that much porking and full frontal blue dong at 10:45am but I didn't mind it. But I'm sure the husband and wife with their 2 small (under 12) kids were taken aback by it.

Too bad for them.  That's why you don't take kids into R-rated movies.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 7, 2009, 11:32 PM »
Just got back as well.  I hadn't read the story before, and I loved it.

There were some pretty bad effects (and a lot of good ones) but overall I really enjoyed it.  I'm going back sometime later in the month.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 8, 2009, 10:55 AM »
Just got back as well.  I hadn't read the story before, and I loved it.

Neat to hear that perspective. Now go get the novel from Target.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 9, 2009, 08:00 PM »
Like Rob, I didn't know anything about the graphic novel before I saw the movie.  I really liked it, thougt it was very entertaining.

I lost count of how many ways Malin Ackerman is hot.

Me too (thanks for that DSJ)
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2009, 08:48 PM »
AICN on Tales of the Black Freighter:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40376

;D

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2009, 11:02 AM »
I wonder if this movie will make any money. Over the weekend it made $55 million which is pretty good but still short of 300's $71 million with half as many screens. I have a feeling that 300 made it money because of its, then unique, visual style. That style has been done to death since. I know its a fanboy-type movie but I think everyone else will be totally confused. The trailers said absolutely nothing about what it is about. Is it a xmen-type movie? These are not mainstream characters like Batman or Superman. Personally I've never heard of or seen this comic book before until now. I think for the non-fanboy, there isn't a defined good guy and bad guy to grasp on to. It does sound interesting though but I don't see it living up to the hype. Maybe it will do really well in Europe.

On a side note, I was checking out a site on Atari ST computer magazines published in Europe and they had a cover from 1989 talking about getting the hot details on the new Watchman movie and video game. Twenty years later we finally get it.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Maybe it will do really well in Europe.

"Watchmen" opened at No. 1 in the U.K. ($4.6 million), Russia ($2.3 million), Australia ($2.3 million), Italy ($1.6 million), Korea ($1.4 million), Brazil, Mexico and the Netherlands. Its North American total was $55.7 million, falling short of industry expectations.

"Watchmen" reigned on the international circuit over the weekend as director Zack Snyder's sci-fi fantasy, launching simultaneously with its domestic debut, grossed an estimated $25.9 million, easily finishing at No. 1 overall.

An adaptation of a comic book series from Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, the Warner Bros./Paramount/DC Comics production, distributed overseas by Paramount, is the first big worldwide launch of 2009. Its overseas weekend tally, from 5,079 screens in 42 markets, is the year's biggest since the $31.1 million rolled up by DreamWorks/Paramount's "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa" in the first weekend of January.

“Watchmen” took home the crown as the #1 movie in America this weekend with a blockbuster Friday wide-release. Early projections of a three-day total of $55.7M (an average of $15,413 per venue) were correct, making “Watchmen” the year’s most successful domestic opening to date. The film also fared well on the international market with a solid $27.5 million overseas, bringing its overall worldwide gross to $83.2M during its debut weekend.

While it’s clear that an opening take of $55.7M is nothing to sneeze at, as mentioned, most industry analysts (and obviously Warner Bros. execs) were expecting bigger numbers from its first frame, hoping for at least a $60M weekend, if not giving the reigning March opening weekend record holder, “300″ ($70.9M), a run for its money. As it stands, “Watchmen” currently holds the third spot overall, and most analysts are blaming that on the film’s long runtime and hard R-rating for its unabashed adult subject matter.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2009, 11:44 AM »
It'll certainly make money, the question is just how much?  Between domestic gross, international gross, and dvd/blu-ray sales, you really, really have to screw up to lose money.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2009, 01:02 PM »
It'll certainly make money, the question is just how much?  Between domestic gross, international gross, and dvd/blu-ray sales, you really, really have to screw up to lose money.

Eventually all movies make money. It's how long you have to wait to regain your investment.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2009, 01:22 PM »

Eventually all movies make money. 

That's most certainly false.