Author Topic: Awing repaint  (Read 6986 times)

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
Awing repaint
« on: November 21, 2008, 04:51 AM »
Finally picked up a cheap Awing and started on this the other day
Its been primed white so the new colours should show nice and the preshade is Tamiya German Grey
Colour scheme I have in mind involves red/blue and a light grey
Anyways here is the pic

The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Awing repaint
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 12:27 AM »
Should end up looking cool! The "Preshade"... is that your basecoat, or is that gonna make the panel line pop more?

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 1, 2008, 08:04 AM »
So I got some painting on this done finally.
The main body was painted with gull grey, there were other panels that were painted with a mix of german grey and aircraft grey10/90 ratio.
Then after that was done the whole thing was misted to blend the colours in more.
Then did the blue. didnt bother masking it yet cause there is still some clean up required on the main colours so it will be masked and cleaned up later.
I think the colours work on this pretty well.
After the main painting is done then its time to weather this baby.

manglord -  mate it kind of makes the shadowing on areas of the craft show up more. I build alot of gundam models and its a technique I use often.
you can see the effect it has in this droid fighter i repainted

The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: December 3, 2008, 01:57 AM »
Very interesting start Hemish. I'm going to enjoy watching your progress on this one. That Spider droid (I remember you posting it somewhere before) is really phenominal. Is it the Estes version?

I'd love to see a tutorial of your technique if you ever have the time. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 3, 2008, 03:30 AM »
Hey Ryan, thanks mate, I dont think I ever did a spider droid so you might be thinking of someone elses.
Colour selection on this was actually pretty random, just thought of some colours it would likely be, actually its more in line with some modern aircraft for the colour set.

Found a nice metallic grey I had in my paint draw and used that to do the engines instead of having any blue on there.
The blue painting is all finished and everything is masked ready to do the main colours again. Once that is done the engine area will be remasked and the mettalic grey will be used on them again to clean it up.

Cmon good weather!!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: December 3, 2008, 04:26 AM »
Hey Ryan, thanks mate, I dont think I ever did a spider droid so you might be thinking of someone elses.

Vulture Droid. (The Droid Fighter) I'm mixing my droids up. :-X

Nice choice on the engine color, it should look good with the blue.
"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #6 on: December 3, 2008, 05:32 PM »
These WIP pics are pretty sweet.  Can't wait to see the finished work.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Update time.
It took a while looking at it to decide i didnt like the different coloured panels so I repainted the whole thing.
The grey becvame decktan and I think it suits it much better.
All the main painting is now done, I just need to weather it, although a part of me really likes the clean look it has right now but seeing as most craft in the starwars universe are used and dirty I probably will dirty this up.
Might also give it some decals as well to bring some extra detail along.
Anyways here are the completed paint pics.
Feel free to fire away :)

Showroom shot :)

I'm real proud of how this looks so far, the shading on the craft came out perfect.

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 11:38 PM »
Super sharp paint lines, Great masking job! Looks awesome Hemish.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 09:47 AM »
Looks great the way it is. Congratulations, again.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."