Author Topic: Legacy Wave 11 - Revenge of the Sith  (Read 54071 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Wave 11 - Revenge of the Sith (Fall 2009)
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2009, 01:26 PM »
I forgot about Plo Koon, crap! That's who I missed!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2009, 02:53 PM »
I wonder if retail is ever going to catch up to HTS.  I've barely even seen the TPM wave and now the 4th wave in TLC RED is up for preorder?  It's only 2 weeks out.  I preordered this wave since brick and mortar retail has just been so bleak.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 03:01 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2009, 12:31 AM »
I think the only way retail's going to catch up is if the blue packaging is wiped out...  Around me, there's a LOT of everything from the ANH wave backwards, and sometimes the ESB Wave remnants as well.  It's currently got no chance at all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2009, 01:44 PM »
Cody and IG are sold out as of right now.  Oh, well.  I guess I can wait a bit for ANOTHER wave of figures...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2009, 06:48 PM »
I went ahead and ordered/preordered these as well.  With the discount, it isn't all that different than retail - and I don't see these making it out in decent numbers around here anytime soon.  I did see the ROTJ wave at Target this week, so I can't complain too much, but otherwise CW/Legends have a stranglehold on retail locally.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2009, 10:27 AM »
SHipping notice this morning for these figures from HTS!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2009, 02:31 PM »
Same here... this is out of control.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2009, 02:45 PM »
I wonder if Plo Koon will be a slow seller...? And Colton just might be a pegwarmer. But I wanna get that Plo Koon!!! He's my FAVORITE Jedi Knight!  ;D
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #143 on: November 4, 2009, 11:33 PM »
I got my Wave 11 stuff from HasbroToyShop....  I'll go with "good" but not great.  

For starters, my Plo Koon was missing his double-blader saber gauntlet accessory.... and I didn't notice it until after I already opened it up.  Nice attention to detail, me.  ::)

A lot of the figures in this wave turned out really well, but nothing jumped out as "wow" to me.  The Utai seems lacking knowing that it was almost a 2-pack.  Colton is a nice figure of a boring character.  Agen and Plo are nice.. but they are just resculpts that weren't all that high on my list.  Cody turned out really nice though, a great improvement over the 2006 figure.

Pretty much the whole wave boiled down to "yeah it's a nice figure, but I guess I'm just too burned out on RotS stuff to get too excited about it".
« Last Edit: November 4, 2009, 11:35 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 5, 2009, 02:45 AM »
Cody turned out really nice though, a great improvement over the 2006 figure.

As a plaything goes, it's pretty good-- the backpack won't stay on still-- but it's nice to have the articulation.

The one thing I noticed this year, in particular with this wave and the AT-ST, is that it seems Hasbro has shifted gears from spending money on deco and put it into articulation.  Cody being a fine example-- less dirt, the "signature" thing on his shoulder armor is gone now, the antenna isn't painted, etc.  Plus there are sculpted dents, but no deco to bring it out.  The AT-ST feels very plain, and numerous other figures just seem like paint isn't a priority.   (I'd rather have great deco over ball elbows on some figures, specifically most Cantina characters, as they're going to spend eternity standing around.)

...I love the Plo Koon though, wish the mask wasn't removable.  If this wave ends up being hard to get in the grand scheme of things, I vote his mask/goggles as the most easily lost part of the year.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #145 on: November 5, 2009, 03:19 PM »
(I'd rather have great deco over ball elbows on some figures, specifically most Cantina characters, as they're going to spend eternity standing around.)

Can't say I agree at all, but compared to 2007 we got both for the most part...  Still, I'll take articulation over deco, but would prefer getting both to the best of their ability, especially since deco is (generally) not quite as expensive in the production process.  Even if it's just a spritz of some dirt to a damaged part of armor or some such (maybe leaving out the more intricate paint aps like the antenna).

The articulation is a more integral part of making a toy fun though, IMO.  I could've stood less on Yarna probably, but honestly Cantina aliens I think articulation partially makes them more appealing to kids.  They're as poseable as their favorite Clone or whatnot.  Every little bit helps there when they're not the kid-targeted figure.  The articulation, over the deco, really makes the toy in and of itself more enjoyable though, to play with, so I'm a much larger fan of articulated figures... 

If the ankles are sculpted straight ala the Death Star Gunner, I can see not including ankle articulation a lot of the time.  I'd drop that long before I dropped elbows or something that impacts the ability to hold accessories.  I also don't mind angle-cut elbows as well, most of the time.  I prefer them on the more action-oriented characters but I could see less ball/socket elbows and more angle-cuts on cantina aliens.

On Cody though, articulation was a must I believe.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 5, 2009, 07:16 PM »
(I'd rather have great deco over ball elbows on some figures, specifically most Cantina characters, as they're going to spend eternity standing around.)

Can't say I agree at all, but compared to 2007 we got both for the most part...  Still, I'll take articulation over deco, but would prefer getting both to the best of their ability, especially since deco is (generally) not quite as expensive in the production process.  Even if it's just a spritz of some dirt to a damaged part of armor or some such (maybe leaving out the more intricate paint aps like the antenna).

On Cody?  Or Troops?  I agree.  Totally necessary for the collector/adult double-dip, and kids are going to buy it either way.  2006 Cody and Scorch were huge hits despite their articulation-related handicaps.

With Cantina Aliens?  Eh.  The ball-jointed elbows have done nothing to improve how the figure functions in a diorama or elsewhere.  The 2007 aliens you bring up had swivel elbows, and they were actually just fine-- perfect to hold a drink or a blaster.  This sort of thing is wildly unacceptable for a trooper, but for an action-free character?  Eh.  I was more impressed with the overall "oomph" of the 2007 and early 2009 aliens (M'iyoom Onith, Elis Helrot, Trinto Duaba & Dice Ibegon, Pons Limbic*).

*-- yes, I know he has ball elbows, but he had a table and overall better deco.

While I'm a huge stickler for toys being toys, Cantina Aliens are, for all practical purposes, made for old farts who stand them on a shelf or diorama.  If there are any figures in the modern line where corners can be cut, I'd say cantina elbows would be it.  (Well, maybe articulated limbs under the "chess piece" figures where it doesn't make a difference anyway.  But then ball vs. swivel cantina alien elbows.)

honestly Cantina aliens I think articulation partially makes them more appealing to kids.

Evidence says kids aren't buying Cantina aliens, articulation is likely not a significant factor.  A toy's intrinsic (or carefully crafted by millions of marketing dollars) coolness tends to push them the most.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #147 on: November 5, 2009, 07:57 PM »
True, but articulation is ultimately a major component (these days anyway it seems) of what makes a toy "cool" once the child (or adult) has it...  To me, the articulation has always been the equivalent of the cockpit fitting most figures, or the action feature that actually garners a smile when it works.  The articulation may not make/break certain figures, and Cantina dudes are certainly in their category where articulation may not completely make them, but I'd prefer having at least the angle-cut elbow and some kind of knee articualtion over no articulation at the elbow at all and so on.  Without that, it may be "fine" to some, but for others it's disappointing, and a kid somewhere, someday, is going to end up with one of them and probably will be less thrilled with it compared to other figures they have that they may look at as better.  I've seen that happen first-hand.

I'm totally ok with angle-cut joints though...  I'm even ok with them on many troopers like the AT-AT Driver, Death Star Gunner, etc.  On armored troopers, not so much, but it has worked on other troopers in the past... 

I really feel articulation is part of what makes an action figure, an action figure though...  or more basic, a toy a toy.  Deco is important too though and I'm disappointed that since 2008 there have been clear cuts in that department.  Hasbro's not doing the washes the same as they had been, and other points of contention.  It's disappointing.  I'll still gladly take 2009 Cody over 2006 Cody though.  My kid's asking for the new one too and he isn't that into SW toys anymore even. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #148 on: November 6, 2009, 01:00 AM »
Cracked open this set of 6 tonight and I'm actually a little bit more impressed than I thought I would be.

First of the character selection is a bit lacking IMO...throw out Koon especially and the again shoehorned in concept art IG-88 for a Padme and Emperor (senate or office duel) and you might have something.  Repack EpIII Anakin and Obi-Wan and you really have something.  Anyhoo...

As figures all 6 are great...random thoughts:

Utai sucks that it wasn't Utais :(  He's well done but I feel a bit cheated out of some dough

Plo Koon is totally out of the question a huge head scratcher for inclusion...it is a great figure articulation wise and that is welcome...no full robe...the mask sucks ass and does not stay on...and there are 50 Plo Koons already at Wal Mart right now if you want him...lame

Agen Kolar was my surprise thought I would hate him but actually love him.  I cannot believe they screwed up the lightsaber though. Especially when the picture on the back shows blue

Cody is great...good points on the deco though Adam

Jeremy Bulloch sucks but is a nice figure.  They must have had this in the parking lot for a long ass time...I get the nod but it is one of those stick him on the shelf filler figures (see Willrow Hood)

IG-88 again is nice but doesn't make a lot of sense here...at the very least they should have flip flopped and have the concept Art Ki Adi in this wave and IG in the ANH wave.

So, they are good but I'm with Jeff.  I'm ROTSed out about now...they don't seem to want to touch Padme or the Emperors from this film...everything else is pretty much perfect as is IMO so I'd be OK if they skip EpIII for about 5 years like they have more or less with EpI

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 6, 2009, 03:02 PM »
I haven't seen this answered anywhere, so ready your boos and tomatoes in case someone already did.

The Jeremy Bulloch head, does it fit on any of the recent Boba Fett bodies?  In particular I'm thinking that Evolutions Fett.
I am not the Stig