Author Topic: Target Geonosis Arena 2-Packs  (Read 63490 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Target Geonosis Arena 2-Packs
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2009, 01:13 AM »
I got my 4 that I ordered in today.  Some brief thoughts...

-Battledroid...  It is NOT bad, and I can get him to hold his blaster with two hands in what I consider an "acceptable" pose.  I think (hope) Hasbro may update his left arm so it cups the forward bit of the rifle, but otherwise I'm actually fairly content with this figure.

Is it perfect?  No.  It's rubbery, but it feels more sturdy for sure than the ROTS/Saga sculpt that we were basically deluged with since 2002.  It's not much more/less sturdy than the Episode 1 sculpt, and the poseable ankles go a LONG way to having him stay up.  The ball/socket hips and shoulders rock, knees and elbows are nice.  The ankles make up his relative sturdiness though.  I would say he's as good as the POTJ Security Droid.  If you liked that droid, you will like this one.  Mine lacks eyes, as do the early samples we posted, so that's just life I guess.

-Super Battledroid...  I think his deco is a bit different than the carded figures he's based on.  He is the new sa sculpt of htis figure, but has the "holes" so he's the 30th AC figure, not the newer Legends one.  I'm fine with that, this is a fine army builder IMO.

-Jango...  He's more purple than ever.  His skin tone the same as well, so I can't say he's a good figure, other than he's a fine sculpt (just needs a new helmet, and better deco).  No surprises here, sadly.

-Geonosian Warrior...  Very cool update of the Sun Fac figure.  He's very generic, nice paintjob, and the added knee joints are the real icing on the cake of an otherwise solid figure.  He's a true super poseable Geonosian grunt.  Gotta love it.  Remove the wings, and he's a wingless grunt...  Good stuff.

-Coleman Trebor...  Pretty well outstanding all around.  He seems either 90% new, or 100%, as the skirt may be re-used.  The rest looks new to me though, and he's really well done.  The headsculpt and hands rock.  His previous figure has a more "force push" type hand, some may prefer that, but to me this is just a great figure and everything I wish the original was.  His "skirt" will feel incomplete as there is no softgoods so the sides are kind of open, but it's a slight issue I am willing to overlook completely.

-Kit Fister (heh)...  He's a nice update, though the figure is mostly the ROTS sculpt.  That means the slightly limited knee articulation is still there, and that's a disappointment.  His hand(s?) and head are new, and both give him a very "force face-off" look.  I dig it, as I dug the ROTS figure.  The paintjob seems decent on mine but I've not been disappointed with the past Fisto figure's paintjobs so I'm less picky than some are on that issue.  He looks good to me.

-Joclad Danva...  He's a nice, super articulated human Jedi Knight, fairly generic...  Can I gripe at all about that?   Mine has a fantastic paintjob.  Looks almost hand-painted.  If I were to guess, he's using EU NJO Luke Jedi's sculpt...  Or am I wrong on that?  It's a shorter sculpt, I don't think it's totally new, but it could be.  It's nice whatever it is.  Joclad Danva's a short guy though I guess.

-Roth Del Masona...  Again, he's a nice super articulated human Jedi Knight, who is fairly generic.  He's got a pretty nice paintjob again, and the articulation is there, but unfortunately the skirt of the Mace Windu Sculpt restricts his leg movement unless you're daring and are willing to slice it on the sides with a little customization.

They all seem to sport the same lightsaber sculpt, and only Masona's is blue.  That's a little weird then, and I'm sure inaccurate, should that matter to you.  For the price, and not having to desperately search for them with the fear they could wind up being tough to track down (you never know), I'm pretty pleased.  The Target sets were knock-outs last year I thought, and I feel this year's are better.

I don't think many will consider this battledroid "definitive", but I think it's not bad either.  It's miles superior to the last battledroids we got, and very comparable to the POTJ battledroids (better than the Boomer Droid though, by a lot).

Pictures to come, I think, if I can get a nice little set-up to take some nice decent photos of these guys.

Nix that, I'm no photographer with my little Cyber Shot here. :)

Basically, the Battledroid is the big "?" in this wave, and to me it's good.  It's not great, but it's good.  I would army build it, actually.

It has flaws, but it's far more sturdy than the Saga(2002/2003), ROTS sculpt...  It's more articulated than those 2-pack droids we've gotten, and the Episode 1 droid.  It's sturdier than the Boomer Damage droid, which isn't bad.  It's on-par with the Security Battledroid...  even maybe a hair better due to the additional points of articulation.

The hips can loosen up, as can the knees.  Mine sort of has a point where it "catches" and stands pretty well.  I can get a couple cool poses out of it too so far (kneeling, standing shooting, and so forth).  The missing eyes is weird, and actually is probably my bigger gripe with this.  I do think Hasbro can improve on this figure and I do think they can deliver better, more sturdy plastic with it too.  I think we may see that at some point.

Oh, and here's a weird thing...  The gun is new.

Not better, bigger/smaller, or anything really, but it's a new sculpt...  And ironically it lacks the "tab" needed to connect to the slot on the backpack.  Very odd, and makes no sense to me.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 04:17 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2009, 08:13 AM »

-Joclad Danva...  He's a nice, super articulated human Jedi Knight, fairly generic...  Can I gripe at all about that?   Mine has a fantastic paintjob.  Looks almost hand-painted.  If I were to guess, he's using EU NJO Luke Jedi's sculpt...  Or am I wrong on that?  It's a shorter sculpt, I don't think it's totally new, but it could be.  It's nice whatever it is.  Joclad Danva's a short guy though I guess.

Kyle Rowling who portrayed Joclad Danva is actually 6' 2".  I noticed that Hasbro screwed the pooch on that one immediately after viewing the photos at Amazon.

Nice reviews though Jesse.  I am annoyed about the battle droid regardless though, it doesn't make sense to me to decide to retool a battle droid, go like 85% of the way to SA, and stop there with a critical thing like the left arm etc.

Personally, I'm still waiting for the real deal when it comes to the battle droid, this one isn't going to cut it for me.  Almost but no cigar.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2009, 10:47 AM »
For repaints with some new parts these are really nice and worth picking up.

- The Jedi have some great head sculpts and upgrades.
- Even Mace Windu's lighter EP2 robes look good, I just wish they gave him a soft good lower half to be posed better.
- The Geonosian repaint is a really nice. I now have truly no regrets getting rid of my Saga Geos.
- Yoda is better than I thought he would be, definitely the most definitive prequel Yoda.
- Kit Fisto got a nice overhaul and is the best yet!
- The Kit bashed Jedi Coleman is superb, Jonclad is nice, not the best body to reuse but not bad either. Roth looks good.
- Jango is ok in his grape colored outfit
- The SBD and Destroyer are standard but great army builders and they use the best sculpt available.
- The biggest disappointment is the regular Battle Droid, he has no eyes!!! I bought 8 sets of that one and none have eyes. The Commanders eyes are kind a big but at least he has them. I can tell their were factory issues. I will have to paint them on myself. The plastic is soft enough to get him to hold the weapon with two hands and I personally think the articulation is great and the folding action is cool plus the head stays on much better than ever before.

At $13 a pop its a comic pack without the comic but they are far superior to the overpriced WM DF sets.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:41 AM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2009, 11:21 AM »

At $13 a pop its a comic pack without the comic but they are far superior to the overpriced WM DF sets.

That's like saying a 757 is better than a hang glider.   :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2009, 03:44 PM »
About the battledroid, DR,

I can't see much of away to do articulated wrists, honestly.  And I'm usuallyt he first to say anything is possible.  What I think they could do is sculpt the left one so it naturally cups a blaster, but it would be permanently posed that way (ala the Saga/ROTS sculpt). 

That wouldn't bother me ultimately, but this one can be made hold a rifle with two hands...  sort of.  I got mine to work out ok.

It's not perfect though, so I won't say it is.  85% is probably a good score...  That other 15% is doable with stiffer plastic, painted eyes, and maybe that left hand resculpt...  The way they're designed though, it's really perplexing how they could do any level of a sturdy arm sculpt that included articulation for the wrists to pivot.  That would be tough.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2009, 09:52 PM »
I'm probably in the minority but after receiveing the Trebor fig, I like the original better minus the articulation of course.  The color apps seem better as does the size which looks more consistent to the film.  You cant beat the price on these 2-packs compared to Walmart which surprisingly sold out at the 4 stores near me.

Can someone give some feedback on the Yoda pack? Is it just a repack? Color change? Soft Goods?  I did not even look at one when I picked up the other sets.

Like others said the joints on the BD's come loose on both the arms and legs on mine. I wish Hasbro could have gone back to the stiff plastic used on the EP1 Droids and use the sculpt on these current figs, but add the ability to grasp the weapon with both hands.

Did either of these generic Jedi's have any screen time?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:56 PM by Jim »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2009, 10:22 PM »
The two Jedi are the last two surviving Jedi from the Arena that were yet to be made:

Thanks to DR for the detective work

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2009, 12:23 AM »
The Yoda, as far as I know, only sports a new softgoods robe, which has a hood on it (as it should).  Otherwise I'm not aware of any difference in the actual figure.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2009, 02:04 PM »
Yeah, I finally saw the Yoda.  He looks to be sporting the Soft Goods that comes with the new Animated Clone Wars Yoda.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2009, 05:57 PM »
Yeah, I finally saw the Yoda.  He looks to be sporting the Soft Goods that comes with the new Animated Clone Wars Yoda.

It is (at least I think). The figure itself is from the 2007 TAC Yoda with Kybuck set. I originally thought it was the 2005 ROTS figure (the one with the cannon), but with a new head.

And Kit Fisto isn't smiling ... wassup with that??
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:50 AM by Jabba the Slug »
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 2, 2009, 10:06 AM »
For repaints with some new parts these are really nice and worth picking up.

Just picked these up yesterday and I have to agree with you. I only planned on buying the two new Jedi, but the rest were more appealing than I expected.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 6, 2009, 12:32 PM »
Just thought I'd throw this out there. These sets are on a 10/11 planogram, BUT most of the time these aren't necessarily due until the Tuesday of that week and may even be later. So if you are at Target at 8am on Sunday and they aren't there don't be shocked. Leaked plano dates on the internet are not the same as advertised street dates.

Just a friendly reminder from my days working there.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 6, 2009, 12:51 PM »
One of my Targets already has these laying all over the shelf.

I'm kind of disappointed overall though.  Jango looks purple.  The battle droid has no eyes and the commander has huge eyes.  Joclad Danva is an inch too short.

Kit and Coleman look nice, I guess Roth Del Masona is okay but the likeness is off.

I just think these could have been better.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #148 on: October 6, 2009, 03:14 PM »
I got these off Amazon about 3.5 weeks ago, I really like them overall. My major complaints were the BD eye screw ups, not sure how they botched that one. All the Jedi are really nice and worth adding to your collection in my opinion. Is Jonclad a little short, sure but the head sculpt is nice. Roth is nice, the headsculpt looks good enough for a guy who had a few seconds of screen time (in the back ground). Yoda is a great TAC repaint that has become the definitive prequel Yoda figure.

What's nice about these sets if you are on the fence is you really can cherry pick without feeling like you are missing out on a BAD figure and they are $4 less a set. I think Hasbro stepped these up from Order 66. I think these will do well and will make a wish list for the follow up:

- Screaming Bald Chic vs SA Droid NOW with eyeball detail!!!
- Barris Offee Coffee vs Geonosian with Spear
- Shaak Ti (New arms, legs and head) with Clone Trooper
- Aayla Secure (New arms and head) with Clone Trooper (Yellow)
- Anakin (Evo version with a New Head) and Padme Arena Damage
- Obi -Wan (Repack) vs Clone Trooper (Red)

Too many females so that will never happen, maybe two of them would make it but realistically anymore I would shocked.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2009, 03:15 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline darth_sidious

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 6, 2009, 06:46 PM »
I really like these sets, I think they are far better than the WM DF packs, both in price, and figure selection.  I'm really happy to have the upgraded Jedi and the previously unmade Jedi survivors as well.  If Hasbro does another round next year, it would be great to get all female Jedi upgrades and/or new characters.  I agree that we need Barriss Offee, Aayla Secura, and Shaak Ti - all upgraded - along with that screaming Jedi chick, whatever her name is, lol.  I also wouldnt mind a battle damaged Padme - but the Jedi retool that would work great and be a huge hit is Pablo Jill.  If they can give him the treatment they gave to Coleman Trebor, it will be another successful exclusive.