Author Topic: Target Geonosis Arena 2-Packs  (Read 63322 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Target Geonosis Arena 2-Packs
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2009, 10:04 AM »
Woot! It's about time we get a SA battle droid. I still much prefer the EPI BD's over anything else that has been released thus far. Though this new sculpt looks to take the place of them. I'll be pre-ordering this set if I can, in high numbers.

Here's what I'm planning on buying from these sets if the breakdown is correct:

• 1X Yoda & Droidekka - Like Jesse, I'm really only getting this for the cloak The Droideka shown is the one I prefer of the ones released thus far, so I can easily absorb it into the collection.
• 2X Mace Windu & Battle Droid Commander - Again, like Jesse, Mace will make for good custom fodder and I want two red commander battle droids
• MANYX Kit Fisto & Geonosian Warrior - I've wanted to army build Geonosians for a long time but while the sculpt from the AOTC (Saga) era was great, the articulation was much less desireable. This sculpt I love. It will suck that I'll have that many extra Kit Fisto's though. If these sets sell for $10-12, then I'll be selling the Fisto's for cheap. I figure since a regular fig is $8, whatever the difference is form the two-pack is what I'll sell the Kit's for. So that could mean $2 or $4 for Kit.
• 2X Coleman Trebor & Jango Fett - Whew, glad we're getting a much needed upgrade on Trebor. I'll need the extra for my Jedi Council scene and I can always use an extra SA Jango somewhere.
• 1X Roth-Del Masona & Super Battle Droid - I've never been into the Super Battle Droids. If the lower legs were thicker or made of rigid plastic so they would stand up and not sag over time, then and only then would I consider building this up a little bit. Glad to have the Jedi.
• MANYX Joclad Danva & Battle Droid - As with Jesse, I plan on army building this set. I'll save a few of the Danva figs for customs, but like the extra Fisto's I'll have, Danva will be up for trade sale as well, using the same analogy as Fisto.

What I'd REALLY love to see is a Geonosis Seperatist Ultra Battle pack. Give me 3 SA Battle Droids, 2 Geonosians, 1 Super Battle Droid, 1 Droideka and 1 Battle Droid Commander and that would be an army builder's dream. Toss in 3-4 TALL stone columns for the arena and a nice cardboard diorama and this set would sell like hotcakes, IMO. That's 8 figures, mostly old molds. Sell this for $40-45. Fair price for mostly old molds.

I'm hoping for single carded Red Battle Droids and Geonosian Warriors though as I'd much rather buy those than have to spend the extra scratch on the 2-packs. But I'll get what I can of the 2-packs and deal with the extra Jedi as I get them.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2009, 12:08 PM »

there's only one set that looks like I'd want to army build - the Battle Droid set.

Hasbro said that the new BD sculpt there will definitely be carried forward - you can expect to see it again in many colors/deco in future box sets/cards/etc.

I'm conflicted about this. While it's a nice upgrade, Hasbro can do better. All they did was add ball joints to the shoulders and hips.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2009, 12:32 PM »

there's only one set that looks like I'd want to army build - the Battle Droid set.

Hasbro said that the new BD sculpt there will definitely be carried forward - you can expect to see it again in many colors/deco in future box sets/cards/etc.

I'm conflicted about this. While it's a nice upgrade, Hasbro can do better. All they did was add ball joints to the shoulders and hips.

In addition to the shoulders and hips they put joints in the ankle, as well as bringing together many features from many different figures. (articulated arms, knees, retracting head, etc.) I will say that the apparent lack of a two handed grip is a letdown. IG-88 proves that Hasbro can make droids with thin limbs SA. It's not a deal breaker, as I think the CW Battle Droid is fine, but it sure isn't great either.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2009, 02:42 PM »

In addition to the shoulders and hips they put joints in the ankle, as well as bringing together many features from many different figures. (articulated arms, knees, retracting head, etc.) I will say that the apparent lack of a two handed grip is a letdown. IG-88 proves that Hasbro can make droids with thin limbs SA. It's not a deal breaker, as I think the CW Battle Droid is fine, but it sure isn't great either.

My concern for these Battle Droids would be that it appears they're still using thinner plastic for the limbs which will lead to the eventual warping, especially at the knee/elbow joints. Regardless of extra articulation as it stands now, I don't see how these BD's are any better than the ones we've received in the last 7 years.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2009, 03:54 PM »
My concern for these Battle Droids would be that it appears they're still using thinner plastic for the limbs which will lead to the eventual warping, especially at the knee/elbow joints. Regardless of extra articulation as it stands now, I don't see how these BD's are any better than the ones we've received in the last 7 years.

Exactly.  My biggest concern is whether or not they'll stand on their own, and if they'll still stand a year from now when the plastic isn't brand new.  If they're going to get all bent out of shape I'll just buy the one of each I always do.  If they can make them rigid enough to stand up, I'll be up for at least a dozen.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2009, 05:25 PM »
I'm hoping the plastic is strong enough. If it's anything like the current SBD or VTAC IG-88 we'll be golden.
The Clone Wars battle droid stands fine, but that figure doesn't have the leg joints. I'm not sure how it will turn out, but we shall see in due time.
One thing I am sure of is my happiness that the dumb "out-of-context" thread is locked... I know some people would've had a field day with all of this talk about stiffness and rigidness.   :D

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2009, 06:03 PM »
Are those wrists articulated on the red battle droid?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2009, 07:12 PM »
I don't believe the wrists are posable.  Everything else appears to be though, and so long as it's "sturdy", I'm pretty content. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2009, 10:08 AM »
I don't believe the wrists are posable.  Everything else appears to be though, and so long as it's "sturdy", I'm pretty content.  

Yeah, but between the wrists not being SA and not being able to put 2 hands on the blaster, this doesn't look all too promising really.

So this droid will be able to crouch and might be able to stand for extended periods of time, other than that, it kinda looks like they dropped the ball.

I do like most of the figures though.  From the pictures I've found, it looks like Roth Del Masona and Joclad Danva complete the circle of survivors.  There's some debate as to whether Danva actually survived until the point Dooku offered a chance to surrender.  In one shot Danva is standing up as you can see above, and in the other he's lying dead on the ground behind Anakin.  There weren't any shots fired inbetween the 2 scenes, but I guess we can conclude he was shot, survived long enough to be seen standing, then dropped from his injuries without being hit again.

At any rate, regardless of who you consider in the circle of survivors, it looks like we've got them all now, and that's awesome.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:10 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2009, 10:57 AM »
Rookie question. Is the guy to the far right (top picture) Tarados Gon or is Tarado Gon the one next to Sease Tin?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2009, 11:39 AM »
Rookie question. Is the guy to the far right (top picture) Tarados Gon or is Tarado Gon the one next to Sease Tin?

Tarados Gon is to the right of SaeSae, Sora Bulq is to the left of SaeSae.

In this pic:

From left moving clockwise:

Anakin, Agen Kolar, Luminara Unduli, Stass Alie, Bultar Swan, Shaak Ti, Roth Del Masona, Sora Bulq, SaeSae Tiin, Tarados Gon, Kit Fisto, Obi-Wan, Mace, Padme.

Joclad Danva can be seen on the ground between Anakin and Agen Kolar.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:43 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2009, 01:54 PM »
Awesome. Thanks a ton.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2009, 02:27 PM »
He looks crouched, to me.  Not lying down.  If he were lying, you'd see parts of his body stick out between Anakin and Kolar.

As far as the battledroid, often times the wrists can be flexed to hoold a blaster...  The Boomer Droid came to mind, personally.  Also I've heated Boomer wrists to do a "Boil & freeze" so they're more able to hold a blaster properly.  I'll probably do the same with this droid should he not hold a gun properly on its own.  I'm not disappointed in the figure, yet.  We'll see when it's out.  So far though, as droids go, it's a major step above the 2-packs we had gotten, above the E1 droid which is very "static" despite good articulation count, and Hasbro's claims in the Q&A were that they were trying to make them more sturdy before releasing a new droid.

So I'm hopeful on this figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2009, 04:54 PM »
He looks crouched, to me.  Not lying down.  If he were lying, you'd see parts of his body stick out between Anakin and Kolar.

Take a look next to Padme's right hip, you can clearly see Joclad Danva's left hand and arm lying flat on the ground, palm up.  In addition to that you can see at least his left lower leg bent underneath him, which explains why you can't see it hanging out between Anakin and Agen like you thought you would.  You can also see the tip of his right foot if you look closely midway up Anakin's left thigh.

Not your typical "resting" posture.  More like a "I just took a blaster bolt to the chest" posture.

Who knows though.  At one point he is alive in the circle of survivors, so that's good enough for me.  I just don't think he made it aboard the gunships like most of the rest of them.

EDIT:

link

Check out 0:38/7:19.  Joclad Danva is dead.   :P
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 05:15 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2009, 09:46 PM »
But at 0:44 he's alive. He's just playing opposum or napping.  ;)