Community > Watto's Junk Yard

Goodbye KB Toys

(1/9) > >>

Brian:
Sounds like they are closing up shop...Linky.

They are filing for bankruptcy and closing all 277 stores that remain.  Our local store closed a year ago, but it is kind of sad to see toy stores go the way of the dodo.  I hope that TRU still does ok, because I think that's kind of a neat thing to a kid (although probably younger now than when we grew up) to see - and I'd like it to be around for our daughter to remember.  I grew up in a small town, and when we went to the "city" and got to visit TRU, it was almost like a vacation.  Anyways, not really surprising to me either.  All the KB Toy stores in our local area were a horrible place to visit usually.  Really crammed, old stuff, usually higher prices, and often a distinct odor.

Jesse James:
Considering the KB nearest me was outside a Boscov's store that had a toy aisle with SW figures for $2 or $3 less...  I can't say I weep for KB.  They did this to themselves by not competing, nor really even making an effort to do so.

I hate the loss of competition, but KB wasn't even trying so were they really ever considered much of an option by anyone?  :-\

Keonobi:
The mall just down the road from our house has a KB and a Kmart, not the best choices for toys really.  (There is a few Walmarts and Targets within about 20 miles so all is not lost.)

Still rather disappointing to see KB going away.  But the points mentioned above, old stock, high prices and a cramped shopping environment make for an unpleasant and often futile shopping experience.  I stopped into KB probably 2 dozen times over this fall, and I think the only time I bought anything was on black friday (I was there at about 2 am on my way to work), and that was to get 40% off a battlepack.  They just don't have newer items in stock, and when they have something, its easily 20% more than other stores.

Sad to see them go, but they did it to themselves, going for higher margin on each item, as opposed to accepting lower margin on higher sales.

Also, why was this practically the only store in the mall that every time you walked you were immediately asked if you needed help?  I get the employees were made to ask this, but come on, let me shop.  If I wander around for a minute, then ask for help, or if I was a 90 year old lady, maybe then, but as soon as I walk in, and when I'm clearly just chasing after my 2 year old?

Still, I'll have to keep an eye on the store down the road and see if I can get in on any liquidation sales (I got some good deals when Ames closed).

Phrubruh:
Just came from the Ontarios Mills KBtoys where they were having a 40% off selected items. Star Wars was of course not one of those items. They pretty much had only legacy wave 2 & 3 for $9.99 and some really old TAC pegwarmers for $8.99. Nothing recent there and nothing any good.

Jeff:

--- Quote from: Brian on December 11, 2008, 03:14 PM ---Sounds like they are closing up shop...Linky.

They are filing for bankruptcy and closing all 277 stores that remain. 
--- End quote ---

It is crazy to think that in early 2005, for the launch of RotS, there were almost 1200 KB locations (counting the Toy Works and outlet stores).  Over the last 3 years, they've lost 75% of their stores and are basically about to lose the rest.  Crazy. 

Ah well, I'll just add them to the legend of Child World, Children's Palace, and all the others that have gone the way of the dodo.  It makes me wonder when TRU will finally kick the bucket...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version