Collectibles > Vintage Kenner

Restoring Playsets and Vehicles

(1/8) > >>

Matt_Fury:
Hey Y'all,

I'm in the process of shipping out all my old vintage playsets and vehicles but after 20+ years in my parents' basement I've noticed a few problems:

-lots of dust in the corners and grooves
-the foam on the Dagobah and the Trash Compactor from the Death Star playsets have really deteriorated.
-The cardboard pieces of the Death Star walls are really frayed at the edges and would probably need replacing.

Anyone know of a cheap way I could replace the foam and cardboard cheaply?  I'd also like to print out hi res images instead of purchasing anything.  Also, what's a good cleaning technique?

DSJ™:

--- Quote ----lots of dust in the corners and grooves
--- End quote ---

Good old soap & hot water & Q-Tip's, may want to also use toothpicks with small pieces at the end for those hard to get places plus a soft/medium toothbrush should also help. Comes down to it, elbow grease.  ;)

--- Quote ----the foam on the Dagobah and the Trash Compactor from the Death Star playsets have really deteriorated.
--- End quote ---

That is common for the foam & nothing you can really do I'm afraid. You can get repro replacement foam & that's going to be as good as it gets. The Dagobah brown foam just get's all gooey/sticky & the Death Star foam just crumbles. Keep an eye out on the bay, search Dagobah Foam or get some dish sponge & dye it brown.  :-\

As for the Death Star foam, give toyrestore.com a shot. They have a 3 color sheet for $10. & you have to cut it yourself.

--- Quote ----The cardboard pieces of the Death Star walls are really frayed at the edges and would probably need replacing.
--- End quote ---

12back.com has scans but not hi-res. Best to go to erikstormtrooper.com, very nice scans that will help you plus other things.  ;)

Hope that helps you out a bit Matt.  :)

Matt_Fury:
Cool Dale.  Thanks!

I remember someone saying they found a cheap way to replace the foam on the Dagobah playset.  It may have been over in the vintage forums on Scum....but I can't ask over there.  :-\

Biffette:
Just like DSJ recommended, I used a dish sponge for the Dagobah foam and I am very happy with it.

Matt_Fury:
Cool.  I also might check out Hobby Lobby and see what they have.  If there's anything that works really well, I'll post it here.

Hey Dale, what kind of soap do you reccommend for this?  Would regular dish soap work alright or is that too harsh.  I have a few days before UPS drops off these items, but I'd like to get right to work when they show up.   :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version