Author Topic: Restoring Playsets and Vehicles  (Read 43833 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Restoring Playsets and Vehicles
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Goo Gone did seem to be the choice of sticker remova lmostly on carded figures but it leaves abit of a oily residue & has a bit of an odor to it. I thing I have read/heard about is un-du which is a sounds like will do the trick. I have not tried or used this stuff but it does sound interesting.

un-du® Original Adhesive, Sticker, Tape and Label remover

A revolutionary adhesive removal system that has hundreds of uses. Un-Du removes sticky labels, kids stickers, masking tape, invisible tape, name tags and price tags from virtually any surface including wood, leather, plastic, wallpaper, clothing, carpet, glass, painted walls and even plain paper. It will also remove gum, tar and candle wax. Unlike other adhesive removal products, Un-Du works immediately upon contact and allows for re-adhesion. In addition, Un-Du is safe to use on most any surface. It leaves no stains or residues behind and will not discolour plexi-glass, acrylics or other clear plastics.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 03:47 PM »
Thanks, I am familiar with Goo Gone and can readily attest to the downsides you mentioned. I'll have to see if I can find the Un-Du in stores somewhere, sounds promising.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 07:08 PM »
On solid items like the base of a playset, Goo-Gone would be fine.  After you use it, you can use a mild dish soap or something similar to remove the residue and smell.  I've used it on all types of things, including computer monitors at work, and after washing with soap and water you'd never know the Goo-Gone had been used.

Also, with a playset, you could soak it in a tub of water (or bathtub).  The water would eventually soak through all the stickers and they should peal off.  Might have to use a soft bristle toothbrush to finish them off as they'll probably break apart.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 04:20 PM »
Thanks, I've decided to abandon the whole idea though. I'm going to have to buy a whole new one, dammit.

The replacement sticker sheet I ordered off eBay arrived yesterday and they looked terrible. They are very poor, faded copies at best, not sharp reproductions at all, very disappointing.

This was the worst vintage purchase I have ever made, along with the Ewok village that was missing so many pieces I will likely never complete it.  >:(

I'm burned out on the whole thing right now...ugh.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 09:54 PM »
Look around online McMetal....there are a few sites that have hi-res copies of vintage sticker sheets available for download.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 3, 2010, 10:04 PM »
Ok, picked up another vintage Star Destroyer playset recently, and between this and the other one I own, I think I can compile a complete and fairly decent set.

I've succeeded in removing the key stickers I need to transfer, but now I am wondering about the best way to re-affix these?

Anyone have any suggestions on a way to re-apply the stickers smoothly, effectively, and with no discoloration?

I was thinking of some kind of spray adhesive rather than a glue or epoxy, but I'm curious what others have done. I actually have a few pieces with some stickers starting to peel which need stabilization.

Offline SWJACK

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 04:39 AM »
UHU glue stick works a treat.  For ones that are peeling get a toothpick with a small amount of glue on the end. Dries clear, no discolouration.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Thanks! I will pick some up tonight and give it a try. Appreciate the help...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 07:21 PM »
I've used liquid superglue and had no problems as well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 12:35 PM »
I'm currently looking at an auction for the Vehicle Maintenance Energizer - and the stickers on it are unapplied AND the eight tools are still on the plastic mold tree (they haven't been clipped off).

So my questions are:

1) Should I use the un-applied stickers from the 80s or should I scan them in and print them on a hi-res printer on a white label sheet and essentially "make my own" and leave the original sticker sheet un-used?

2) Should I leave the tools on the mold-tree and just try to acquire the loose tools from eBay? I have a couple tools from the one I had as a kid, so I don't think I'd have to buy all eight, but even if I did, I see those tools come up for auction a lot so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Any help/advice you guys could give would be much appreciated.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 03:12 PM »
I'm currently looking at an auction for the Vehicle Maintenance Energizer - and the stickers on it are unapplied AND the eight tools are still on the plastic mold tree (they haven't been clipped off).

So my questions are:

1) Should I use the un-applied stickers from the 80s or should I scan them in and print them on a hi-res printer on a white label sheet and essentially "make my own" and leave the original sticker sheet un-used?

2) Should I leave the tools on the mold-tree and just try to acquire the loose tools from eBay? I have a couple tools from the one I had as a kid, so I don't think I'd have to buy all eight, but even if I did, I see those tools come up for auction a lot so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Any help/advice you guys could give would be much appreciated.

I would DEFINITELY advise against trying to use the un-applied stickers from the 80's. Just leave them on the sticker sheet. I made this mistake when I bought my Endor Forest Ranger and have regretted it ever since. The stickers just don't adhere like back in the day. Pretty much ALL of mine just fell off within a day or two. They went on fine, but did not last. For some reason if you actually applied the stickers back in the day, they hold much better then if you tried to do it now. Go figure.

I'm not sure I understand your second question but I'm sure someone else here will. Good luck on the vintage hunting, it's a fun way to distract yourself from all the hasbro fail! :)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 03:22 PM »
Thanks McMetal - I think that I'll definitely go with using the unapplied sticker sheet to create a hi-res scan and print a replacement set on a white sticker sheet page.

For the eight tools - when the Vehicle Maintenance Energizer originally shipped, the tools were all attached to a plastic frame, like a model kit and you had to cut them off the plastic frame.

The auction I'm looking at has the tools still on that frame. So I'm wondering if I should leave the tools on that frame and just acquire the tools separately loose from eBay.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Ah, I get it now. Tough call, seems like more of a personal choice on pulling them off the frame. They do self contain pretty nicely within the unit itself, so loss isn't too much of a risk. Then again, it seems like an untouched piece would be rarer and potentially more valuable. If the price isn't prohibitive I might suggest trying to pick them up loose just for that reason.

I really need to go back and start picking up some missing weapons and accessories myself. I still have a few gaps here and there...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012, 08:07 PM »
I'd go with scanning/printing your own stickers, and acquiring a set of tools elsewhere.  VME's were cheap...  are cheap still I think, for the most part.  Getting the tools should be relatively cheap too.  Find a beat up one with the parts for the most part, and you're set to go IMO.  The stickers on the sheet and the parts on the spru tree are more valuable to me personally than the effort to track down a second one to have the best of both worlds.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #29 on: August 1, 2012, 01:19 AM »
I have a few NIB mini's, I just leave them in the box next to my sealed ones. Since we don't play with the "new" ones I just get used ones and display those.
He's no good to me open