Author Topic: 02/10/09 - No More Buying Used Toys??  (Read 5068 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
02/10/09 - No More Buying Used Toys??
« on: January 7, 2009, 05:27 PM »
This is the first I've heard about this, but it makes sense due to all of the lead problems these past few years.  Glad I completed most of my G1 collection many years ago.  Guess I won't be able to go back and do the same for the vinty Joe line.  eBay will definitely feel a big blow if this pans out.

one of several linkys on the web
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: 02/10/09 - No More Buying Used Toys??
« Reply #1 on: January 7, 2009, 05:46 PM »
The hell?

I'll wait to see how this pans out but my first reaction is of the incredible amount of stuff that will be converted straight into waste and landfills. The second is that this would be impossible to enforce since most such sales are "under the table" cash transactions, garage sales, etc.

Also, I'm sure the GI, SW, and other toys we'd be interested in will simply be recategorized as "collectibles" and continue to be sold on eBay and the secondary market.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: January 7, 2009, 05:57 PM »
On February 9, Gamestop will no longer accept trade-ins of any Xbox 1 merchandise.  This includes systems, games, and accessories.

Coincidence?  I think not.  I blame Obama.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 7, 2009, 06:58 PM »
I blame Obama.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen anyone say on a forum and I've seen a lot of ridiculous things. 

I blame China and Mattel.  China for putting lead in toys and Mattel not catching it in time.  Then the media, as usual, overblew the press on the recalls rather than just reporting it as a customer service message.

It's also telling that the reporter on that vid didn't get any info back from the Consumer Product Safey people.  Laws like this just reaffirm my opinion that all politicians are out of touch with reality.  With the economy tanking, reselling used goods is almost a must and to now outlaw it, very quietly I might add, just further beats down the little guys.

And serioulsy, how would this affect Goodwill and the Salvation Army?  Let's put all these people out of work (potentially; at least stores like in the report) and then also take away the charity organizations that would help them?  Tell me again how this is still a great country to live in?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 7, 2009, 06:59 PM »
I blame Obama.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen anyone say on a forum and I've seen a lot of ridiculous things. 

I'm pretty sure Matt wasn't being serious.  ;)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2009, 07:10 PM »
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/692235/New_Law_Restricts_Sale_Of_Used_Childrens_Products.html

If you regularly buy used children's toys and clothes or are in the business of selling them, then February 10, 2009 is a day that you will dread. A federal law enacted by the U.S. Consumer Protection and Safety Commission will go into effect, making it illegal to sell any used children's products (toys and clothes.) The act is the result of the plethora of toys that were recalled last year due to content of lead paint, most notably from Mattel/Fisher Price who were forced to recall 55,000 items from their lines such as Batman (pictured), Sesame Street, and Barbie. Upon the day the law goes into effect, manufacturers of new product will be left with more stringent standards for providing testing for lead-based paint, as well as responsibility for providing a sticker validating the item's status of having been tested. The law will affect all children's items (defined as "all products for children under the age of 12.")

So, what will this mean for the secondary market for children's items? Sellers are definitely scared, as the ebay forums are full of topics with sellers openly saying that they are no longer taking incoming used product as they wait out the logistics of the new law. There may be certain loopholes that eventually come out concerning the intended use of a product. The law itself seems to centered on the definition of "children's products" and if sellers can find a way to legitimize the definition of a "collectible," then they may have what they need. The fact remains, it is completely unreasonable to say that you cannot sell vintage toys to collectors who wish to reacquire items from their childhood or to tell people that they cannot clean out their attics to sell potentially valuable items. At some point, as laws render themselves unfeasible after execution, it becomes clear that the law that really needed to be enacted must be embraced. (And it is not this one.)

« Last Edit: January 7, 2009, 07:14 PM by Rob »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: January 8, 2009, 01:02 AM »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 8, 2009, 09:44 AM »
On February 9, Gamestop will no longer accept trade-ins of any Xbox 1 merchandise.  This includes systems, games, and accessories.

Then you are an idiot. Obama had nothing to do with this. The new federal law about resaling children items is in direct response to all the recalls that took place back in 2007 of toys from China.

As for Gamestop ending it's trade ins on X-Box 1 - They did the same thing with PS1 stuff, and somewhere down the line will do it with PS2 stuff. They do it because they can't justify the costs associated with buying the old stuff when sales of the older stuff are close to 0.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 8, 2009, 10:27 AM »

Then you are an idiot. Obama had nothing to do with this. The new federal law about resaling children items is in direct response to all the recalls that took place back in 2007 of toys from China.

As for Gamestop ending it's trade ins on X-Box 1 - They did the same thing with PS1 stuff, and somewhere down the line will do it with PS2 stuff. They do it because they can't justify the costs associated with buying the old stuff when sales of the older stuff are close to 0.

Matt was being facetious.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 8, 2009, 10:34 AM »

I'm pretty sure he was being fecetious.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 8, 2009, 10:59 AM »

Anti-fecetious-ism-acist.
I am not the Stig

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 8, 2009, 01:11 PM »

What makes it especially hilarious is when you read his sig quote.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 8, 2009, 10:22 PM »
Lead testing not required for used children's toys, clothing

CPSC Clarifies Requirements of New Children’s Product Safety Laws Taking Effect in February

As poster on anotheR site:

There is some exceptionally good information in this thread but it seems to have been drowned in the panic and rhetoric from others. "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

They've already been linked in this thread but here again (and thanks to the original posters) are some links to some informative publications that clarify the new regulations better:

http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/legislation.html#summaries
http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/advisory/317.pdf

Essentially, new laws will come into effect shortly that will ban the sale of children's products that contain lead levels above 600ppm. Items exceeding this limit will be determined to be hazardous banned substances as at 10 Feb 09 and cannot be sold. This level will be further reduced to 300ppm as at Aug 09.

Additionally, to ensure that items comply with this regulation documentation must be produced by the manufacturer (if the item is manufactured in the US) or the importer into the US (if the item is manufactured outside the US) for all children's products manufactured after Feb 09 from a third party tester stipulating that the product complies with the mandated acceptable levels of lead. This requirement for testing is not retrospective for products so items manufactured prior to this date do not need to undergo testing.

Furthermore, the testing certificate is not required to be lodged with the government but must accompany the shipment and be furnished to the distributor or retailer. and be furnished to the CPSC (Consumer Protection Safety Commission, something like ACCC here) upon request. The Commission's rule states that this requirement is satisfied if the importer or US manufacturer provides its distributors and retailers a reasonable means to access the certificate (online digital publication is acceptable).

So in summary, any children's product containing more than 600ppm of lead as at 10 Feb 09, and more than 300ppm as at Aug 09 will be deemed to be a hazardous substance and cannot be sold.

Products manufactured (not sold, just manufactured) after 10 Feb 09 must be certified by a third party tester.

How does this affect us? Ultimately it won't have any impact upon any of us that I can see. If you're selling pre-10 Feb 09 manufactured items you do not need to have your item tested or furnish a certificate for your item. If you are selling post-10 Feb 09 manufactured items they must comply with the requirement to be certified. You do not have to supply a certificate to the consumer.

For instance, you bought a new Hasbro Action figure in the US that was manufactured in Jun 09. After a few months you decide to sell this figure on ebay. Hasbro, as the importer of this item is responsible for the third party testing prior to importing the item and a certificate stating its compliance will be 'shipped' with the items. All requirements of the new regulations have now been met and no further action is required. So you are free to sell this figure on ebay, at a garage sale, in a second hand shop or wherever you would like.

The only potential issue that I see is for businesses in the US that import toys that are not distributed locally. For instance, Company X a small independent hobby retailer decides to import a range of Pokemon toys from Japan for their local store. The US distributor of Pokemon does not carry this line so they do not have a certificate published that confirms the items meet the requirements for lead content. Effectively Company X will need to have the items tested themselves prior to import which is likely to be cost prohibitive.

A slight variation on this scenario is when Company X decides to import a range of Pokemon toys from Japan that the US distributor also carries. Now as the US distributor has already issued the test certificate it is perfectly fine for Company X to import and sell them.

I hope that helps to clarify the situation further and alleviate any unfounded fears that our hobby is about to implode. Don't worry, ebay will have plenty of opportunity to put itself out of business without having the US government to blame!

Now relax & get some sleep... numpty's!  :P

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 9, 2009, 06:57 AM »

Anti-fecetious-ism-acist.

I would almost think this topic was in the Pit...

I think the above post sums things up pretty well, but I would think that if the law did ban the reselling of older toys, it would get thrown out in court.  No ex post facto laws are allowed per the Constitution.  The could dance around that with the health issue, but I don't think the older toys are the problem.  The toys from China are the problem.  I think we would all be dead by now if vintage figures had dangerous levels of lead in them.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 9, 2009, 10:42 AM »
Well crap, there goes my excuse to quit all together.   :-\