Author Topic: 2009 Clone Wars Packaging  (Read 12314 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:44 PM by Jeff »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: New Star Wars Packaging
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 04:58 PM »
Red, White and Cool?  meh.  Looks like a book.  Can't tell how big the blister will be, but that's a lot of plastic if it's going to span the entire card.  At least it will help seperate the lines on the pegs for all us old foogies.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 05:04 PM »
At least it will help seperate the lines on the pegs for all us old foogies.

Not necessarily...

Fans and collectors will soon see a new packaging design across all Star Wars merchandise, courtesy of design agency Pilot as well as Lucasfilm's own Licensing team.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 05:04 PM »
Hmm...

Wonder if Legacy's getting an update too?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 05:37 PM »
It's like TAC, but ********.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Hasbro said in the Q&A that all 3 lines (CW, Legacy, Legends) were going to be getting a face lift in Fall 2009, so yeah I'd expect the Legacy stuff to get the new look too.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 05:48 PM »
Eh, I kinda liked what we had, but this is ok too...  I don't know why I even care, I just wind up tossing it anyway.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 07:56 PM »
It's like TAC, but ********.

Best. Post. Ever.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:27 AM »
I think this new design looks like butt.

It's too simple and doesn't scream Star Wars.

It looks like a simple box.

I never was a carded collector, and this new design doesn't make me want to start either.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 09:09 AM »
It's better than the legacy packaging, but I'm still not a fan.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 11:22 AM »
I think this new design looks like butt.

It's too simple and doesn't scream Star Wars.

It looks like a simple box.

I never was a carded collector, and this new design doesn't make me want to start either.

How should it "scream" Star Wars more than having it say "Star Wars" and have a large picture of the character?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 11:44 AM »
I like it, but not for any particularly asthetic reason; I'm not a carded collector like some of the previous posters...  If the shape of the bubble is anything like previous bubbles, the picture of the character should be pretty visible when you look down a peg of figures, so if you are only looking for example an Animated Gree, you don't have to flip through 40 Obi-Wans and Yodas. 

Its not a big thing, I know, but its something to me. 

I didn't buy many of them, but one thing I thought was annoying about the Indiana Jones cards was they didn't have a picture on the front or side, of who the figure was, so you had to flip through 30 Mutt Williams' to discover they were all Mutt Williams.  With the large picture near the top of the card, I can easily glance down a single peg and see what figures there are.
I am not the Stig

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 12:20 PM »
How should it "scream" Star Wars more than having it say "Star Wars" and have a large picture of the character?

Okay let's explore that.
Successes:
ROTS card had a large Vader head-easily recognizable as SW
TSC (The Saga Collection) cards were slightly reminescent to the vintage cards and with a large background photo behind the figure to make them pop out more and you knew from what scene the character was in.
TAC cards were emblazoned with several different aspects of SW: 20th anniversary, 77 (eluding to 1977 when the original came out), plus of course the logo and character pic
Legacy/Clone Wars cards both with iconic helmet designs specific to that era that are undeniably SW.

Marginal to successful:
POTFII-The return of SW figs to the toy market it had a big Vader head in the corner. Arguably the most iconic character from the whole Saga to date. It was unmistakeable what the toys were fashioned after.
EPI-Following along in a similar design scheme. Shifting to red and giving us one of the most popular characters from EPI-Darth Maul in the upper corner.

Duds:
SAGA (AOTC era)-too simple of  design. basically a square card with a blue background. Of course it didn't help that many of those figures sucked by standards even then.

So this new design has the logo and a pic of the character on it, big deal. It looks cheap and oh so simple. It may work for those carded collectors in that it should fit in cases easier, but that remains to be seen. It does look like it will stack easier for transport to the cashier of your local retailer and eventual storage for some collectors.

So if anything it's practical with a simple design. But that just says, "Meh" to me. Hasbro is going to have two very big competing lines for SW in GIJoe and Transformers with those movies coming out, not to mention OTHER toy company lines. In today's economy, I'd think Hasbro would want a flashier package design than this red striped one.

I think it's a big mistake to just have the logo and then a character specific pic without something flashier to draw attention to it. Personally I think the Clone/Storm trooper helmets were good and have only been in use for a few months. To change the package design in a year, yet again...seems wasteful to me.

Now before it's asked, yes, I definitely feel I can design better than what this newest cardback looks like. Yes, I'm in Marketing and Advertising and have two different degrees (Industrial and Graphic design) to back that up. Yes, I'm an Art Director and utilize Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign (the industry standard, print design software programs) on a daily basis.

So beyond being a fan, I feel I am fully qualified to make the initial and above comments I posted.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:21 PM by jedi_master_sal »
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 12:29 PM »
Now before it's asked, yes, I definitely feel I can design better than what this newest cardback looks like. Yes, I'm in Marketing and Advertising and have two different degrees (Industrial and Graphic design) to back that up. Yes, I'm an Art Director and utilize Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign (the industry standard, print design software programs) on a daily basis.

I know I'm not the only one who'd be interested in seeing what you could come up with here.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 12:31 PM »
I don't remember saying you weren't qualified to say what you thought. I just think that having a big picture of Vader's head as opposed to the specific character isn't going to determine sales on them. I will admit that none of the economics courses I took to get my economics degree had formulas that stated whether Vader's helmet or Maul's head had an outcome on overall profit but this is just my opinion. ;)

As Keonobi said it was horrible to look through Indy stuff because you had no choice and with the new SW card you can just quickly glance the side. I like that.

This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within