Author Topic: CW Clone Turbo Tank  (Read 65846 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: CW Clone Turbo Tank
« Reply #135 on: November 6, 2009, 08:30 AM »
It's $74 here.  I think I will be waiting to see if it eventually goes $15...  :)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 6, 2009, 10:00 AM »
Well $75 is probably what the price of it should be in the first place. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 6, 2009, 02:00 PM »
I see that HTS has even marked this down to $81.99 now.  It may just be a holiday thing, but I'm wondering if sales on this thing are struggling quite a bit compared to last year's big vehicles.  I personally hope not, as I'd sure like to see that BMF Slave 1 and/or AT-AT down the road sometime ;).  I will say that I've seen these sit much more than the AT-TE did, and even more so than the higher priced Falcon I think - at least here locally.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #138 on: November 6, 2009, 06:55 PM »
This definitely sits more than the tank.  I think the fact that's it's not highly visible in the films, or even the cartoon (one scene so far - the tank is everywhere) is hurting it, as much as the market place.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 7, 2009, 11:17 AM »
This definitely sits more than the tank.  I think the fact that's it's not highly visible in the films, or even the cartoon (one scene so far - the tank is everywhere) is hurting it, as much as the market place.

Yeah, I think you're right there Darby.  Although I have seen some of these sell, it is definitely much slower so far (maybe it will pick up with Christmas shopping).  On the other side of things, we stopped by TRU last night, and those $50 AT-TEs are flying out the door.  I saw a guy and his son elated to find them, and also saw a couple of the Falcons in people's carts.  Good to see those ships selling well, even if it is at the sale prices.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #140 on: November 7, 2009, 09:02 PM »
I know I was elated to get mine at $15!   ;D

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #141 on: November 9, 2009, 05:45 PM »
I have also noticed the Turbo Tank is a slower seller compared to last years biggies. The next 5 weeks will be the real test for his guy to determine the fate of the big boys. I just moved and I am setting up my collection in a dedicated room, with that said I had a pile of vehicles that I finally opened. The Turbo Tank was one of them, overall it's nice but not $100 nice. There are no lights which should be standard for for $100+ vehicles and the vehicle itself is kind of meh when compared to the more aggressive looking AT-TE which I happily bought three of. One of these is enough to compliment the AT-TE's. The launching Speeder feature is cool but would have been better served with a light when the door is opened to release it. An automatic opening door would have made the feature more exciting from a toyetic standpoint. For those of you that paid under the "normal" retail good for you, I actually wish I waited to take advantage of a sale on this.

At least I was able to get a third AT-TE for $50 and an extra Falcon for $80 so that makes me fell better in a strange way (I also sold the driver a few months ago for $12 so that was nice refund on the TT). I am hoping we see a deluxe AT-AT redo for next year. I would hate to see the Turbo Tank flop and kill this $100 SKU slot. I would gladly pay $150 for a new super deluxe AT-AT to step on the confirmed Legacy Snowspeeder. The cool thing about the large vehicles is when you see them all together you get a sense of massive scale that really delivers to the excitement of the toys/movie.

My final verdict is that it's worth getting but not at full price.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #142 on: November 9, 2009, 11:33 PM »
There are no lights which should be standard for for $100+ vehicles

You must have a dud because mine has 4 working LED head-lights...

I still think the biggest thing this toy has working against it is the fact that it's a Clone Wars toy and not a movie toy.  It's fully intended to be the cartoon-scaled "Clone Turbo Tank" (and the scale is actually pretty close when compared to the cartoon keys/design) and not the movie-scale Juggernaught (which is like ten times larger as others have pointed out).  Because of that, you lose the movie buyers (the ones that did fully support the AT-TE).

When this was developed as the centerpiece of the Christmas line, the Turbo Tank had a bunch of air-time scheduled, but for whatever reason (due to episode schedule shifting or re-writes or something), those episodes haven't really hit yet.  If they can get those Turbo Tank showcase episodes on the air in the next few weeks, I think it will go a long way to helping these move off the shelves...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2009, 11:41 AM »
Maybe a good sign, over the weekend a lady at my local TRU wanted a Turbo Tank for a Christmas gift, but they were sold out.  I heard an employee tell her the other local TRU was sold out too.  I hope that's positive news for Hasbro.  The lady actually ended up buying two AT-TEs for $49.99 each, I wonder if she was going to buy two Turbo Tanks if they had them...?  Probably has two sons or something that are into Star Wars.

Also, I saw a Turbo Tank in a guy's cart at Wal-Mart last night (along with an AT-ST).  All of a sudden I've seen more demand for the Turbo Tank in person, but that could just be isolated local craziness that I have witnessed.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2009, 12:03 PM »
I stopped at a Walmart today on my lunch break and I believe they had a new price of $74 on them

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2009, 02:21 PM »
I noticed Turbo Tanks sold out at a couple Targets locally as well.  Not sure if that's recent or not though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2009, 10:01 AM »
Maybe a good sign, over the weekend a lady at my local TRU wanted a Turbo Tank for a Christmas gift, but they were sold out.  I heard an employee tell her the other local TRU was sold out too.  I hope that's positive news for Hasbro.  The lady actually ended up buying two AT-TEs for $49.99 each, I wonder if she was going to buy two Turbo Tanks if they had them...?  Probably has two sons or something that are into Star Wars.

Also, I saw a Turbo Tank in a guy's cart at Wal-Mart last night (along with an AT-ST).  All of a sudden I've seen more demand for the Turbo Tank in person, but that could just be isolated local craziness that I have witnessed.

I've observed this November Phenomenon before.  Star Wars vehicles with big price tags sit and sit and sit, then after a week or two in November, POOF!!!  Gone.  It's definitely a holiday shopping thing.

I saw the most recent AT-AT sit in piles for 3 months then one day in November the entire pile was gone.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2009, 11:48 AM »
I know some have complained its not movie/cartoon accurate, not big enough, etc.  But I think as far as a kid's toy this thing is pretty sweet.

I brought my ($75) Turbo Tank in the house the other day and my 2 year old son spotted it.  He never used to give my toy piles a second glance, but now he just hollers "out" or "open" when he sees something he likes.

Well he went ape sh*t when he saw the Turbo Tank box.  20 minutes later it was assembled, rolling, firing missiles, playing sounds, shooting a BARC speeder, etc.  My son was a big twitchy, sweaty, giggling mess an hour later. 

I've got to say, that is probably one of the nicest designed "toys" I've ever seen.  At first I was really concerned when I let him at the $100 toy, but its really well designed and quite sturdy.  Most of the doors, guns, etc. pop off when too much pressure is applied.  I was quickly impressed with the design and confidently walked away while my son had at it.

As a 38 year old "collector" I can nitpick.  But as a 38 year old "dad" I can say without a doubt Hasbro nailed it.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2009, 02:05 PM »
I'll just post this here since it was one of the things featured, but I was watching Looney Tunes with our daughter today on Cartoon Network and they had a commercial for the Hasbro CW toys.  It showed Dooku, battle droids, the AATs, the Turbo Tank, the Freeco Bike and other miscellaneous things from what I could see.  Just thought it was neat to see a non-role play Star Wars toy commercial, it has been awhile I think.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2009, 02:24 PM »
I'll just post this here since it was one of the things featured, but I was watching Looney Tunes with our daughter today on Cartoon Network and they had a commercial for the Hasbro CW toys.  It showed Dooku, battle droids, the AATs, the Turbo Tank, the Freeco Bike and other miscellaneous things from what I could see.  Just thought it was neat to see a non-role play Star Wars toy commercial, it has been awhile I think.

Man, thanks so much for posting that! I can't tell you how many times I have been watching the show on Cartoon Network and wondered why they don't run commercials for the toys during it. It seems like such a no-brainer! Great marketing ploy, especially at this time of year.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy