Author Topic: Kyle Katarn &... A New DarkTrooper?  (Read 19168 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Kyle Katarn &... A New DarkTrooper?
« on: January 19, 2009, 03:03 PM »
Looking at some of those new pics, it's clear we're getting a new video game Kyle Katarn.  Super articulated, and I'm guessing with his Jedi Knight gear for the most part (judging by the shoulder pad).  However, did anyone see the diagram of a trooper?

Looked like a Darktrooper to me...  Anyone else have an opinion on this?  Could it be a 2-pack, or part of an EU wave?

I'm giddy, as I really, really, really have wanted new versions of both since the originals.  Both originals were ok at the time, but man nice articulation and sculpting going on with that Kyle, and a new Darktrooper could just simply be amazing.

Way to go for whoever did the scanning.  I've enjoyed looking at this stuff all day now.

Kyle Katarn (not a Jedi Katarn either).

Some kinda trooper (very Darktrooper-ish), listed as a "Purge Trooper", which isn't familiar to me.

EDIT:  The Trooper could also be an updated Heir to the Empire Trilogy Spacetrooper...  Just comparing it to the original, it really could be either I think. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:45 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Kyle Katarn &... A New DarkTrooper?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:33 PM »
That Kyle looks cool.  As a fan of the Dark Forces games I'll get a few of those figures.

I think the trooper is an updated Space Trooper.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline CookieeMonster

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 08:37 PM »
I was apprehensive about the Kyle until I saw him, now I am bring on the dancing girls.

Cant wait for this figure, the Yuuzhan Vong and the Purge Trooper.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 08:53 PM »
The more I've looked at it Matt, I agree, I think it's a Space Trooper from the Zahn Trilogy...  Compared to art and the original figure, plus I think Hasbro mentioned the Spacetrooper getting a resculpt(?), I really think that's what this figure is.  He'll not combine with Katarn then... 

Still, this Katarn's an enigma to me...  If this Katarn comes with the Yuzahn Vong, isn't he inaccurate then?  I though Katarn was dressed as a Jedi when fighting the Vong, and this is clearly a video game Kyle.  I don't believe he appeared in comic books in his video game atire ever...   I could be wrong so please if someone has scans I'd like to see them.

I'm giddy to get the new Katarn figure, I'm disappointed this appears to be a Spactrooper though.  I hate that design for Spacetroopers, as it's very illogical and just meant to look flashy.  The Darktrooper, being a droid, made more sense.  How a human has a gun embedded in his forearm is beyond me.

I'm wondering now, who will the Spacetrooper come with?  Katarn seems destined to come wit the Vong figure, but that's cool as it's a new video game Katarn it appears, and that's AOK by me.  I wanted that much, much more than the Jedi Knight (NJO) Katarn in robes and crap.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:06 AM »
Spacetrooper indeed, same anathomy with the ST from Expanded Universe

Thanks for brought that out.

I was looking at that figure today by chance, a guy had his collection at the mall for few weeks, only to find out today that he left.

If someone is willing to trade one of his Spacetrooper-Expanded Universe I have few figs tradeable, but if this new coming fig is more detailed, then I would wait, since I want company for my Darktrooper.  :)

I wondler if we are getting a stiff leg ST-Expanded Universe alike the last Comic Durge we had ?.... cus can't figure out what does mean "Insert Molded Knees" <---Stiff legs as the previous ST & Durge?

Well Compare the DArkees.

Phase 1 2 3

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:09 AM by Theta 288 »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 12:18 AM »
I see your point Jesse, but I always thought the Spacetrooper was more of an exoskeleton than any sort of droid (same with the Phase 3 Darktrooper), so although kinda dumb, there would be room for a blaster, or some sort of cutting torch in the forearm.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 12:31 AM »
It actually is a suit...  In both its incarnations even.  It's just a big bulky self-contained Stormtrooper for Zero-G.  Like the Stormies we see in ANH are kind of the light spacewalk guys, can go out there for a little while and do work and things.  Basic armor can sustain them for a little while for a rescue too, and then there's the big suit...  This armor was supposedly contained "men", same as the original EU spacetrooper armor which the WEG books created.  It's much larger/heavier, and more realistic looking.

It too has room for weapons contained in the arms, however it's huge by comparison, and makes more sense.  This, the weapons are in a forearm where a human's forearm should be.  I hate that design flaw in it, and really wish we got a figure of the WEG design.  To me it's the ultimate.

This is the WEG design, and it actually was based on the Zahn Work as well if I'm not mistaken, but just became a different ultimate incarnation.  The comic adaptation of the space trooper is what we got in a figure in 1998 and here I believe, and it's also a guy in a suit I'm pretty sure (I can't recall exactly from the novel but I think it was a guy in a suit), and I just loathe that forearm gun.

Anyway, yeah gimme that suit above there.  It reminds me of taht Cobra armor suit GI Joe had.  I loved that stuff. :)

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 12:37 AM »
Well I see is a diferent Helmet sculpt, the new has a respirator mask & the ST-EU doesn't match, but both has same body detail, but diferent backpack as well?

Clone

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:15 AM by Theta 288 »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 01:17 AM »
Kyle Katarn is actually supposed to be packed with the Yuuzhan Vong in a comic 2-pack.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 01:34 AM »
Count me in for Katarn for sure. I'm really glad to see him in his Dark Forces/Jedi Knight get-up rather than robes.

Some kinda trooper (very Darktrooper-ish), listed as a "Purge Trooper", which isn't familiar to me.

EDIT:  The Trooper could also be an updated Heir to the Empire Trilogy Spacetrooper...  Just comparing it to the original, it really could be either I think. 

This guy is somewhat of an enigma to me. It seems likely that it would be from Dark Forces or Heir to Empire but I also wonder if it could be the Force Unleashed incarnation? The design doesn't necessarily look like it did in the game, but they are called Purge Troopers in Force Unleashed. It is an interesting design for sure. Hopefully we'll hear more about this guy at Toy Fair, and Hasbro clarifies the source material
"This is the way."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 06:03 AM »
I wondler if we are getting a stiff leg ST-Expanded Universe alike the last Comic Durge we had ?.... cus can't figure out what does mean "Insert Molded Knees" <---Stiff legs as the previous ST & Durge?

Essentially it means "articulated".
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 09:06 AM »
The Trooper should turn out nice, might be worth a squad for me.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Corax

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 10:46 AM »
As Nicklab said Kyle Katarn comes with the Yuuzhan Vong in a comic pack.  They are based off their appearance in the Star Wars Tales story Equals and Opposites.

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 11:14 AM »

Essentially it means "articulated".

Thanks alot for your respond...well that makes it more appealing for some of us  :D & a squad would be beautiful....

This guy is somewhat of an enigma to me. It seems likely that it would be from Dark Forces or Heir to Empire but I also wonder if it could be the Force Unleashed incarnation? The design doesn't necessarily look like it did in the game, but they are called Purge Troopers in Force Unleashed. It is an interesting design for sure. Hopefully we'll hear more about this guy at Toy Fair, and Hasbro clarifies the source material

I dont have the game or guide...my bro had.

I recall seen the "Purge Troopers in Force Unleashed" at the guide in black, but can't remember much the features or helmet, a look again may solve the problem... but again I have seen other Dark/Space trooper variants in games etc... let me check the comic by chance.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 11:53 AM »
As Nicklab said Kyle Katarn comes with the Yuuzhan Vong in a comic pack.  They are based off their appearance in the Star Wars Tales story Equals and Opposites.

Hasbro had said we're getting a Katarn in a comic pack with the Vong soldier, but the problem is, I don't recall Katarn wearing his video game gear (ala this figure) in the comic book (as I noted earlier).  The Comic in SW Tales I thought had Katarn as a Jedi Knight in robes and things...  Wasn't he protecting refugees from the Vong in that storyline?
Or are there multiple NJO-era Katarn storylines that have him sporting his Infiltrator/video game duds?

Either way I'm quite happy to get a new Katarn figure that pretty accurately represents his video game look.  He's even young (no grey) looking which really supports his video game characters (the first 2 anyway) over the NJO look.  Pretty cool...  The Trooper I think is going to be the new Spacetrooper Hasbro had mentioned somewhere along the line.  Bummer as the Dark Trooper would be much cooler IMO, but whatever.  The Purge Trooper was hinted at on other boards but I think this is another Thrawn Trilogy comic pack figure on the way.  I wonder who it'll come with though?