Author Topic: Dryer Problems - Help?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Dryer Problems - Help?
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:39 PM »
So we have a Maytag dryer that is about 6 years old.  Recently, when we're drying clothes in the 'AutoDry' setting, it no longer turns off.  Usually, the setting will adjust according to the moisture level of the clothes and turn off when it senses the clothes are dry.  Now, it just stays at the setting you put it at (More Dry or Less Dry) and doesn't turn off unless you manually turn it off.  We didn't realize it one night and the clothes were drying for about 6 hours before we finally figured out that the dryer was still on.

Anyone out there know a thing or two about dryers and what could be wrong with this?  I'm hoping that it's just a simple part that has gone bad and we only need a quick replacement piece instead of an entire new dryer.  Any help you could lend would be appreciated.  Thanks.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Dryer Problems - Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 07:43 PM »
I would take a look at the manual or download it if you don't have it.  Look at the troubleshooting in back.  I would guess there is a "moisture sensor" of some sort that needs to be replaced.  Hopefully the manual tells you where to find it so you can take it out to replace it.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Not to be a smart ass but have you called Maytag?

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:15 PM »
Since it's 6 years old it's no longer under warranty so the only thing they can do for me is to give me the name of a Maytag 'certified' tech.  The closest one is about 45 minutes to an hour away and they don't offer free estimates based on that distance.

It's not that big of a deal because the timed drying cycles still work fine.  We just tended to dry things on the auto dry mode.  I thought if someone had this similar problem in the past and had it fixed, they could at least let me know what I'd be looking at spending on a repair, or if it's not worth repairing we can start looking for a new one.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 11:32 PM »
Sounds reasonable, sorry I don't have any helpful advice.

Any chance there's an uncertified tech closer to you that could give it a free look?

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 01:49 AM »
call Sears get a warranty wait about a month then call them and tell them that the thing just broke. it worked for me a few times  ;) ;) ;)
He's no good to me open