Author Topic: Wedge Antilles' Red Two X-Wing Starfighter  (Read 86534 times)

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
Re: Wedge Antilles' Red Two X-Wing Starfighter
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2009, 01:25 PM »
The pics aren't showing up, but yeah, the droid Wedge used at Yavin had the same dome that R3-T2 did in Mos Eisley.

This was apparently a common practice:  Porkin's had R5-D4's dome, Biggs had R2-Q2's from the blockade runner, John D had R4-M9 from the blockade runner, etc.  It makes sense that they wouldn't be bothered to paint all new schemes for all the droids in that sequence, considering how little you'd be expected to see of each one.  Echostation has had an image up for a decade showing Wedge's droid, so it's certainly nothing new. 

It's just very disappointing that they first got R3-T2 wrong, and now got this one wrong too!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2009, 01:28 PM »
The pics aren't showing up

Niether is yours unless it's one of those red x kinda days..
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2009, 01:41 PM »
The pics aren't showing up

Niether is yours unless it's one of those red x kinda days..

Well, anyway you are correct that it's clear in the photos that Wedge's droid was allover red with white panels.  People have been customizing him up that way since the mid-90s at least, so I don't get Hasbro's deal. 

The filming starship models' droids never matched up with live action shots anyway.  If they made all the pilots' droids that way, Biggs and Red Leader would have a gray R2 unit with black panels. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2009, 04:23 PM »
I think Wedge has two, due to surviving the first assault...  which technically counted as an assist since he was in the trench and slowed the assault by the TIE's on Biggs and Luke.

Yeah, I think being involved and surviving these two "suicide" missions means he deserves two.

I can't recall how kill markings worked in WW2, but they may have issued them to multiple planes if it was something large like a carrier sunk or whatnot.  If you got a bomb on the deck but another plane sank it, you maybe get an assist on that?  I don't know honestly.  Paul may know more on that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2009, 06:03 PM »
The kill markings for Wedge's X-Wing is likely in homage to the Rogue Squadron comic books which showed the markings on the hull. They look similar to this set of markings I made years ago and hosted by Erik.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2009, 12:17 PM »
I can't recall how kill markings worked in WW2, but they may have issued them to multiple planes if it was something large like a carrier sunk or whatnot.  If you got a bomb on the deck but another plane sank it, you maybe get an assist on that?  I don't know honestly.  Paul may know more on that.
I did a little reading yesterday and it depended on the Air Force you flew for.  The USAAC and Britain credited partial kills (if you hit it you got a piece, meaning some pilots had 12.83 kills, etc) , while the Germans did not (you had to get the last hit to get the credit).  I'm not sure how that applied to attacks against Naval targets though.  Dennis Lawson is British right?
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2009, 10:33 PM »
I think he's a Brit...  He's Ewan McGregor's uncle too, I believe.

More new images, this time loose shots of the ship!  They're out on the front page, so go check 'em out!

I think this may be the nicest paintjob Hasbro's ever done, in terms of accuracy.  It seems very close to the film model.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2009, 10:19 AM »
He is a Brit and still works. He was featured in a great BBC series two or three years ago called Jekyll.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2009, 10:44 AM »
Nice pics, the paint job does look pretty nice there.  Although I don't have room for a ton of X-Wings, I would like to pick this one up if the price isn't too high.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2009, 03:17 PM »
Considering it's one of the only ships to, techinically, be seen in 3 movies...  I think it's a good choice.

I really like Hasbro's decision to drop stickers too.  Much more realistic with a paintjob.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2009, 03:20 PM »
Considering it's one of the only ships to, techinically, be seen in 3 movies...  I think it's a good choice.

I really like Hasbro's decision to drop stickers too.  Much more realistic with a paintjob.

I couldn't agree more about the stickers.  I've really enjoyed the last couple years of relatively sticker-free ships, I like the paintjobs better too.

Offline RogueLeader

• Youngling
  • Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2009, 02:36 AM »
I'm really glad to see loose and boxed pics of this set, but I was disappointed that the boxed pics obscured the new headsculpt on Wedge.  Does anyone have pics of the figure in the box or loose?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2009, 11:33 AM »

I couldn't agree more about the stickers.  I've really enjoyed the last couple years of relatively sticker-free ships, I like the paintjobs better too.

Me too. But, I must confess that I secretly wish for stickers to apply since the stripes on my Red Leader x-wing got sun damaged.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2009, 10:52 AM »
This is, I'm sure, a ridiculous and pointless request to make- but if anybody buys the ship and finds no need for the 2 ladders (for example, if someone plans to hang this ship from the ceiling or some other reason), I'll gladly buy the ladders at a generous price!  I'm making a Yavin diorama now, and I don't really want to buy the whole ship.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2009, 10:57 AM »
This is, I'm sure, a ridiculous and pointless request to make- but if anybody buys the ship and finds no need for the 2 ladders (for example, if someone plans to hang this ship from the ceiling or some other reason), I'll gladly buy the ladders at a generous price!  I'm making a Yavin diorama now, and I don't really want to buy the whole ship.

We should get someone to make some molds and cast a bunch.