Author Topic: JediDefender Fantasy Baseball 2009  (Read 31227 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender Fantasy Baseball 2009
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2009, 02:50 PM »
I see most everyone decided to not see that little request...

Auto-draft sucks, I'm not very happy with my pitching at all and only two RP's... quite possibly no closers. >:(

I saw it, just saw no point in responding since I can't do anything about it.  It could be that Scott as commissioner couldn't do anything about it either, given how close we are to the season.  It is quite likely that there were no available time slots that were suitable.  I also wasn't particularly interested in having it move.  I have family conflicts at other times and responsibilities where I can't always be here.  I know it's hard to believe because I'm old and moldy, but **** happens. 

I appreciate you are frustrated by the draft, but being  snarky to the rest of the pool in this case is probably unwarranted:

I know you guys aren't going to believe this, but I'm pretty sure that's the day that Marin is coming home for her last visit before Summer vacation, and I'll be at the airport right around then, again.

Any chance it could be moved forward or backward by a day?   :-\    :-*

Readily changed.

Is there a resolution on the date?  I won't be able to do Tuesday or Wednesday of this coming week.

Three days before the draft you inform us you now can't make the Tuesday?

Turns out there's a lecture that I am attending that starts at 7:30 that I didn't realize was going to conflict until just the other day.  I could probably make it if it were a half hour later, but if it can't be moved or if that's too late for the east coast, I'll just have to let the auto draft run.

I appreciate you didn't realize the conflict, but honestly, a lot more notice would have been helpful.  The draft date was set to meet with your request of moving it a day earlier.  How is it our fault you aren't keeping track of your conflicts?  Also you note you could have made it a half hour later.  About a half hour later you still could have entered the draft.  I know this because thanks to a winter storm I got booted out of the draft twice and ended up with it autodrafting for me (trust me, I wasn't planning on taking Wieters with four rounds to go as my second catcher).  Plus by a half hour into the draft we were only into round 8 or thereabouts.  Only Papelbon and K-Rod had been drafted.  Three more went in round nine and then none again until round 12 and that's only if you count Chamberlain as an RP.  You had time to get in and get RPs even if you missed the start of the draft.

So, uh, any chance of moving it back a little? 

I could probably make it if it were even a half hour later (can't make it tomorrow though).  If you guys don't want to wait on me that's cool - or maybe we could delay the whole thing for a week and try to get a few more players?

Posted the day before the draft but now at that time you're saying you can't make it at all on Tuesday night.  I agree it would have been great to have one or two more teams in there, but again, Scott probably couldn't move the draft anyway.  Regardless, you left it pretty confusing as to when you would be available with the posts changing nearly daily.

Are you aware that you can mess with autodraft in the sense that you can stack the picks in a certain way?  If you go in and create your own ranking, you can move pitchers up in the rankings considerably and autodraft will pick your highest ranked players as available.  If you'd ranked a set of SP and RP such that they were ranked around picks 30-40 on your ranking, you'd probably have got two of the studs in each category.  In this draft not Santana or Lincecum, but you would have probably got Sabathia/Webb/Lee and might have lucked into two of Papelbon/K-Rod/Rivera depending on how other people drafted.  Granted that might have the unfortunate effect of you going with pitchers rather early, but you could have set it up such that you'd have got pitchers in rounds 4-8.  Too early perhaps but I grabbed Lincecum, Webb and Papelbon in 4-8 because that's where they need to be taken to get them.  I've done this in football by adjusting my rankings to sink the stuff I don't want (kicker, defense, TE) down low and targeting specific guys.  You have to spend the time on the rankings to do that though.  And you also lose out on some of the power.  I look at my draft and watch all the guys I want at the field positions I didn't get and it's frustrating, but as you well know, that's the price you pay for pitching early. 

I'll grant you I'm a lot more confident of my pitching this year than last, but it's still a crapshoot and I expect to go to the wire.  Beyond injuries, guys have bad years.  I thought the same thing last year about my pitching and both Verlander and Hernandez were absolutely attrocious.  There's a more than a few pitchers I would have drafted if we'd had a couple more rounds.  There's a couple of closers sitting on the wire right now and I've thought about snapping them up, maybe instead of getting all pissy at us you should do the same?   ;)  You got Soria in round 21 last year and picked up Cliff Lee on waivers, didn't you?  Weren't they key to your success, at least in part?  Quit yer bitchin.   :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 06:01 PM »
Yikes, I hope you didn't spend too much time on that reply.  I know I've got myself to blame, it just sucks is all.  Just venting a little after seeing what a poor job the autodraft did - I thought it would be better so I didn't mess with it.

I'll have to find RP's over the course of the season, and pray I can get a decent SS somewhere. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 11:11 PM »
Nah, I'm on vacation and didn't feel like going into the pit, so I took it out on you here ;D

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 06:54 PM »
I'll have to find RP's over the course of the season

I should know better than to leave a former Marlins closer on my Watch List with you looking for a closer.  I was waiting to hear if Greggs was announced as the Cubs closer before adding him.  Looks like I waited too long...  Good luck.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Yeah, that's about all that's available at the moment.  I'll drop whichever Cubs reliever isn't named.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 01:09 AM »
Yeah, that's about all that's available at the moment. 

Nope, there's at least one more guaranteed closer out there ;)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 10:38 AM »
Yeah, that's about all that's available at the moment. 

Nope, there's at least one more guaranteed closer out there ;)

Good going Bug.  Want to give the competition any other pointers?

Geez Louise.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 5, 2009, 10:25 PM »
Let the games begin!

Had to know, I opt to not start Lowe and he's five innings into a shutout in Philly.  LOL. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 6, 2009, 10:58 AM »
Let the games begin!

Had to know, I opt to not start Lowe and he's five innings into a shutout in Philly.  LOL. 

Dude Derek Lowe is okay.  But in a shallow 7 team league like our's with 35 starting pitchers rostered, he probably doesn't make the grade.

Don't feel bad about not starting him, I wouldn't have either.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 6, 2009, 11:33 PM »
Well he outpitched Sabathia, Webb and Halladay. :-X  ;)

(I know, I know, first day, hell, April, doesn't count for much). 

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Thanks for that great performance today Cole Hamels!  3.2 IP, 1 K, 17.18 ERA, and 3.27 WHIP...  I knew I should have sat him until he had a few starts under his belt...

The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 12:15 PM »
Anyone else having issues with Yahoo today?  Can't get the League results to come up and there are no stats from Monday's games...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 12:35 PM »
Yeah, they're stuck on the stats from the day before, based on the totals in the points.  Yahoo 'issues' are plentiful and frequent, but they'll update soon enough. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2009, 06:16 PM »
At least Carpenter got close to double digits on innings before going on the DL. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 09:27 PM »
At least Carpenter got close to double digits on innings before going on the DL. 

Word is the left labial majora is wrenched pretty good this time, and the vulvular ligament is partially torn.

Doctors think babies might not be a possibility at this point, so chances of having Chris Carpenter Jr. on your staff 25 years from now are somewhere between slim and none.