Author Topic: 2010 Clone Wars Packaging  (Read 15207 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: 2010 Clone Wars Packaging
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2010, 08:50 AM »
For pete's sake, skip the stupid pack-in cards and give me knee articulation on all figures!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Kids don't care about articulation remember?  :P Kids do like card/battler games... (Yu-Gi-Oh, Bakugan, Pokeman). Hasbro is really going after the young generation with this pack-in.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:30 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2010, 04:26 PM »
I've always actually thought some gaming system with the figures wasn't a bad idea...  I'm kinda glad this is happening to CLone Wars though, and not the line I actually care about.  I think for kids, it's a good idea, and this line's 100% aimed at them (thus things like Nahdar Vebb become mail-ins rather than basic figures).  To that end, it all makes sense.

I hate the "kids don't care about articulation" mantra though...  GI Joe came out, and really cut a swath in Star Wars, at least with me at the time.  I was drawn away from Star Wars because of GI Joe, and having better figures with cooler accessories (I still loved nabbing a random SW figure for his coat though).  The original GI Joe was put out super articulated to wow boy's with a "doll for them" that was not just a "doll", but also a figure you could put into any action pose.  That was part of the draw, otherwise just give a Ken some weapons and kids should've been happy right?

Even my gf's kids hated the underarticulated figures during ROTS over the good ones...  Pilot Obi-Wan saw to it that the other Obi's got hacked apart and melted.  And Anakin was just a loser once that Pilot Obi showed up.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2010, 04:34 PM »
What’s odd/troubling is that the new slide doesn’t say anything about these being exclusive to Clone Wars figures, it just says Star Wars 3-3/4” figures. Does that mean these will find their way into OT/PT figures too. I’d don’t know but if you look at the game cards, they do have Rebel and Empire symbols on them and that modified base (unless it is just being recycled for proof of concept purposes) has a ROTJ logo on it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2010, 07:57 PM »
Good point Jayson, it's not out of the realm of possibility either that Hasbro would want this to carry over so kid's interest doesn't slack from the realistic stuff...  The whole notion of "hooking" kid's attention spans with the game and all, and having them be interested in figures for the game rather than the media they're predominantly from or sculpted to be from anyway.

BTW I want to second what the SW.com article said about the heavy "propoganda poster" look of the new packaging...  I could easily see text below that image of Rex saying, "They serve because they're bred to.  You serve because you want to." or something along those lines.  That image really has that "national pride" vibe from WWI & II propoganda images, and I think I like that the most about it.

I just found that interesting that the article quickly pointed to the same thing I was thinking about that image though of Rex.  It's slick.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:21 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2010, 11:20 PM »

:P

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:21 PM by Jayson »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2010, 11:25 PM »
Sweet.  You do that Jay?  Nice.

I'd think kids would go stupid for stuff like that on role-play gear.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2010, 11:39 PM »
Yep. Thanks.

I agree, I would have went bat **** crazy for "propaganda" stuff like that (posters, folders, notebooks etc) as a kid. They'd be wise to splash "join the fight" type slogans on the blasters, helmets and other role play stuff to really amp up the kiddos.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2010, 12:35 AM »
I think the new cardback is very slick, very kicka$s. I'm glad that they're doing a nearly-full body image of the character - it adds a lot more uniqueness to the card. And it's totally obvious that Hasbro is aiming for a 100% cartoony look for even the packages now. Maybe that's why they're going with the Vintage look for the realistic figures.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2010, 11:48 AM »
I don't like it. It's garish and looks cheesy. I really could care less though, as long as they hurry up and get some new product on the shelves.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2010, 12:01 PM »
I think the new cardbacks look pretty snazzy!  Might even get me back into collecting carded CW figs again - unfortunately   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2010, 08:05 PM »
I like the new packaging myself.  The card game does nothing for me but then again neither should action figures but they do!