Author Topic: Beginning of the End?  (Read 67614 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Beginning of the End?
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2010, 03:25 PM »
I see no reason that this is even close to ending.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2010, 05:33 PM »
I agree, really it is all up to Hasbro.  Depending on what they want to do with the line, they could keep it going in some capacity for a long time.  Even if the movie stuff started drying up at mass retail (which shows no signs of happening right now), I'm sure TRU or someone would love to take the line on as an exclusive.  Again, probably not something Hasbro would necessarily do, but we see it done with other lines (or collector line/statues).  There's always the online only option (like MOTU Classics), but again, maybe not very likely.  Plus, and not that I want to see that, Hasbro is almost to the point - with a few more upgrades - of having nearly perfect versions of all the main characters from the Saga.  They could have waves with 3 "greatest hits" style figures and 3 new figures to help cut development costs, and maybe make the line easier to profit (from their standpoint).  Again, not something many would like to see, but if we saw the VOTC/VTAC/TVC/Evolutions, etc. figures repackaged alongside new figures, I know there are some I'd pick up again.  Anyways, the stuff coming out right now (and on the way) in this line continues to look amazing - and although I know many aren't fans of all the resculpts, I'm pretty psyched about the line right now.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2010, 11:32 PM »
I tend to agree - the Star Wars license has years to go based on what they are churning out now.  Almost everything is top notch.  The only chink in the armor I can see is the whole distribution issue over the last 6 months or so.  It kind of seemed like there was plenty of opportunity to get stuff out and not a lot being done.  That feels to me like a potential indicator that this line isn't the driving force for Hasbro that it used to be.  I definitely think that Clone Wars and the upcoming live action TV show will help the longevity of these toys.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2010, 10:57 AM »
I definitely think that the upcoming live action TV show will help the longevity of these toys.

Yeah, that's been pushed off the schedule indefinitely now. It may never happen.

TCW or Bust!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2010, 01:32 PM »
I definitely think that the upcoming live action TV show will help the longevity of these toys.

Yeah, that's been pushed off the schedule indefinitely now. It may never happen.

TCW or Bust!

It's on hold, not shut down.  I'm sure they will find a way to make it work eventually.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2010, 03:09 PM »

Let's take a look at the current status of ANH - if you notice on RS's wishlist polls, the only NEW characters on there at all are Cantina denizens.

Why wouldn't I look at the wishlists on JD instead? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2010, 05:31 PM »

TCW or Bust!

It's on hold, not shut down.  I'm sure they will find a way to make it work eventually.

I hope so... I'm starting to truly hate the Clone Wars.  I can't even enjoy watching the show anymore... barely got through Season One and a few episodes of last season before I decided it just wasn't enjoyable for me... and I pretty much hate the figures too; really because of the animated styling.  About the only positive for me is that I like most of the vehicles.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2010, 06:13 PM »
I think the vintage line may be the last big push for the movie product being the main line, at least for a while. I think we are seeing a transition to the television supported product, and that trend seems very likely to continue.

Hasbro is doing some amazing work right now, but some of the best work in the vintage line (argueably) came at the end. I don't think the quality of product is going to spell the end, simply lack of engagement with the consumers. 

After months without products, the shelves are getting filled with new product, a new look, and a great variety of products. I think the future of the line in 2012 and beyond is going to be dictated by the next 6 months of sales. The two trends I see as worrisome are:
1) the reappearance of so many recent releases in the legends line being a drag on sales
2) general loss of interest in the hobby, as indicated by lower sales and mirrored in decreased traffic on sites like this.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2010, 08:39 PM »
Yeah, I think the line could go indefinitely, depending on what they want to do with it (exclusive to a store, online, or just continue at mass retail as is) - but a lot depends on how this Vintage Collection does.  Aside from maybe a lack of all-new characters, this is truly an effort of a "collector line" by Hasbro - with the quality of the figures, the packaging of course, as well as some of the nostalgic exclusives this year.  I think we'll get a big push with this line (for at least two years), and depending on sales, then we'll see.  Honestly, they could cover most to all of the needed resculpts and a few new characters in that time, if planned well.  Then, maybe we'll see a shift to just CW (or live action if it happens) television stuff.  The CW is definitely planned for 5 seasons, but at Celebration it sounded like "as long as it is successful", so who knows how long it will go.  Again, I don't want to see the movie stuff end anytime soon, but it will be interesting to see if this Vintage Collection is really "bringing collectors back" or not.  It would be interesting to hear even from those here who have sort of left the Hasbro stuff in the past few years, and if they've come back for this line.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2010, 11:55 PM »
For what it's worth, I've seen Vintage selling like crazy at all retailers, while most of Clone Wars and Legends sit.

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2010, 10:50 PM »
as long as the cw cartoon series is still going strong and kids are into it, i don't see an end in sight for the sw lines at all, im sure us as collectors may end up dealing with alot of "legends" lines unfortunatley and i do think that if hasbro would continue with the comic/eu charecters the line would not only have greater sales but infinite possibilities for future figures.....the comic packs and the wave with tfu shaak ti & k'khurk are testament to that....

on a side note i completley despise the cw animated series, not only because the animated figures are not really what im into, but because they destroyed the "republic commando" novel series by karen traviss, with bs mando pascifist garbage...not to mention that totaly nullifies the fett history/leagacy.... but that another conversation. just my 2 cents.
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."