Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2009  (Read 100162 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Offseason 2009
« Reply #195 on: August 18, 2009, 06:33 PM »

Spoken like a true homer.  ;)  Frankly, I'm skeptical that the Vikes can make the playoffs given Brad's coaching.  I'd trust in Forte's ability more than I trust in Brad's ability to successfully use all the weapons at his disposal.  Also factor in that Favre has not had any time to gel with his new team and has practiced even less than at any point in his career - the Vikes have a lot of question marks as well.

Yeah, but, who cares what a Packers fan living in Minnesota thinks about the Vikings?  ;)
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2009, 07:06 PM »
Oh I don't disagree about Childress at all...all you need to do is look back at the 2006, 2007 and 2008 NFL threads :-*

Offline Sugart

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 18, 2009, 08:05 PM »
The Eagles are better. They beat them last in the playoffs and are younger, faster, and generally better in multiple areas. This isnt Favre from circa 2000, he'll be toast and wind up costing them more than helping them like he did last year with the Jets. We all remember how that love fest started last year. Besides that Philly owns Favre and have his whole career. Look up his stats against them.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 18, 2009, 08:43 PM »
This isnt Favre from circa 2000, he'll be toast and wind up costing them more than helping them like he did last year with the Jets. We all remember how that love fest started last year. Besides that Philly owns Favre and have his whole career. Look up his stats against them.

How about Favre of 2007?

356 of 535 = 66.5%
4155 yards
28 TD's
15 INT's
QB Rating: 95.7
W/L 13-3 before losing in the NFCC to the eventual Superbowl Champs.

Last year, there was a love fest early because he was playing well, then he got hurt.  If he stays healthy, he'll cruise through the NFC.

Meanwhile, the Eagles will do what they do every year.  Be very competitive, and then not win the Superbowl.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:51 PM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 18, 2009, 10:08 PM »
The Eagles are better. They beat them last in the playoffs and are younger, faster, and generally better in multiple areas. This isnt Favre from circa 2000, he'll be toast and wind up costing them more than helping them like he did last year with the Jets. We all remember how that love fest started last year. Besides that Philly owns Favre and have his whole career. Look up his stats against them.

Regular Season Stats for Favre vs. the Eagles: 5 wins and 6 losses big whoop.  I would hardly call that owning a QB.  Look up Favre's stats playing against the Vikes in the Metrodome - that's pwning.  Besides, you can hardly predict the Vikings season solely based on Favre or how Favre does against the Eagles defense.  In what areas do you think the Eagles are better?

QB- Advantage Vikings (when will McNabb be benched?)
RB - Advantage Vikings (I'll take All Day over Westbroken any day)
WR - Toss up (I don't really like anyone here)
Defense - Advantage Vikings
Offensive Line - Advantage Vikings
Coaching - Advantage Eagles
Most players convicted for killing animals - Advantage Eagles

I think I'm going to side with the Vikings here.  I even think the Vikes have an easier schedule this year. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Sugart

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 18, 2009, 10:38 PM »
QB- Just stop, Favre is not better at this point.
RB- Vikings
WR- Seriously, for once the Eagles are deep and talented at the postion. Berrian is fast, but not a #1
O-line- Vikings are good, real good, but if the Eagles are healthy they have 2-3 potential pro bowlers there.
Defense- Vikings front 4 is nasty, but the Eagles were #3 in the league last year. I expect a drop off because of everything they've lost but they still be very good.
Coaching- Not even close

The only clear cut winners are RB and d-line and you could argue the rest. Vikings have a cake walk schedule, but every year someone comes out of no where to the schedule means dick.

Personally I love the circus, its gonna be that much more funny when they lose in the 1st round. Oh and Favre is something like 6-10 at the metrodome. Huge pwnage.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:43 PM by Sugart »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2009, 11:03 PM »
Giants maybe, Eagles no. 

Huh?

Eagles beat the Giants when it counted last year, and the Vikings on a nice run. I just don't think Eli Manning has it (though, yes, he does have a SB ring). I just think the Eagles used up their most of their allotted TDs during the final season game against the Cowgirls (though it was nice to see them get spanked hard).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2009, 11:35 PM »
Again...the Vikings that made the playoffs last year are better this year.  End of story.  I know it is hard for outsiders who don't watch the team but EJ Henderson was a Pro Bowler through when he got hurt in Week 5 or 6.  Half of their wins were led by Gus Frerrotte and the opposing defenses stacked the box against AP all year.  They have a healthy EJ, upgraded O-Line, upgraded QB and a new weapon in Percy Harvin and the aforementioned easy schedule.  I think they are now the team to beat in the NFC

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2009, 11:42 PM »
QB- Just stop, Favre is not better at this point.
RB- Vikings
WR- Seriously, for once the Eagles are deep and talented at the postion. Berrian is fast, but not a #1
O-line- Vikings are good, real good, but if the Eagles are healthy they have 2-3 potential pro bowlers there.
Defense- Vikings front 4 is nasty, but the Eagles were #3 in the league last year. I expect a drop off because of everything they've lost but they still be very good.
Coaching- Not even close

The only clear cut winners are RB and d-line and you could argue the rest. Vikings have a cake walk schedule, but every year someone comes out of no where to the schedule means dick.

Personally I love the circus, its gonna be that much more funny when they lose in the 1st round. Oh and Favre is something like 6-10 at the metrodome. Huge pwnage.  ::)

Okay, I don't recall Favre ever getting benched.  When was the last time McNabb was benched?  Kevin Kolb?  Enough said.  I think Favre is just about washed up, but I would take him over a guy who's too lazy to show up for the Superbowl.  I mean really - the team has so much faith in him that they went out and signed M. Vick?  Vikes have a better O-line, the better running game, and a much better defense as well, and I don't know how in the world do you rank Philly as #3 last year.   ???

And thanks for the laugh on WRs.  Please tell me you don't truly believe Hank Basket, DeSean Jackson, and Kevin Curtis are among the leagues elite receiver corps.  That's just too funny.  I don't like Minnesota's receivers, but I'd expect about the same performance out of Berrian, Rice, and newcomer Percy Harvin.

Andy Reid looks like Einstein next to Childress, but he's 50 and never won a Superbowl, so no reason to think he's got a better chance to do it this year with an even weaker defense.

We do agree on one thing though - I fully expect to see the Vikes make the playoffs and blow it per usual.  Favre has faded down the stretch the last 3 seasons, so it will be sweet justice to see them go 9-0 then lose the first round of the playoffs.   >:D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 19, 2009, 01:07 AM »
Again...the Vikings that made the playoffs last year are better this year.  End of story.  I know it is hard for outsiders who don't watch the team but EJ Henderson was a Pro Bowler through when he got hurt in Week 5 or 6.  Half of their wins were led by Gus Frerrotte and the opposing defenses stacked the box against AP all year.  They have a healthy EJ, upgraded O-Line, upgraded QB and a new weapon in Percy Harvin and the aforementioned easy schedule.  I think they are now the team to beat in the NFC

I agree here, but then I'm a Viqueen anyway. 

I'm really not expecting all that much out of Favre from direct production to be honest.  He wasn't all that stellar last year, something like the #15 QB overall.  Granted I believe that does rank him ahead of TJ though  :-X  As Scott said, it opens up the run game and even if not as much as expected it has to help.  I watched from 13 rows up how they didn't even really bother with the receivers one game last year, because the ball was underthrown or just plain dropped.  Between Berrian and Harvin (if he meets half the hype) and Shiancoe as an outlet, Favre has downfield options.  But yeah, AP probably just got better. 

The other merit is maybe TJ can actually learn something in a whole year with Favre there to mentor him.  Relatively few QBs step up immediately and while I've critized Jackson myself, maybe this will help. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 19, 2009, 01:33 AM »
I'm really not expecting all that much out of Favre from direct production to be honest.  He wasn't all that stellar last year, something like the #15 QB overall. 

He had the mediocre Jets at 8-3 and in the hunt for a 1st round bye before he hurt his arm last year.  They lost 4 of the last 5 after that.

If he can stay healthy, he's still a top ten QB.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 19, 2009, 01:42 AM »
And look what he did for Thomas Jones  ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 19, 2009, 01:53 AM »
In the mental aspect of the game, Favre is as good if not better than almost every other QB in the league.  But can he hold up physically?  He admitted himself that his shoulder was messed up and that's what led to his season with the Jets being such a fiasco.  Is the shoulder 100%?  Probably not.  But then he's a 40 year old in a league where the average age is down in the mid 20's.  And I could see pass rushers trying to hit him on his right side in order to affect the passing game.

And he seems to think that he fits much better with the Vikings offense than he did with the Jets.  He said on Joe Buck's show that he could basically teach that offense because he knows it so well.  Is that going to mean wins?  We'll see.  I'm not sure about the rest of the NFC North.  

My true passion lies with the Giants.  But the receiving corps is a big question mark.  There are no real standout receivers.  Could that make Eli Manning take more of a Brady-esque approach, and spread the ball around a lot more?  I hope so.  The Pats offense is designed to make defenses spread out and cover everyone.  And thankfully the Giants pass rush is still alive and well.  Too bad I missed the game last night, though.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Sugart

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2009, 07:14 AM »
Philly was 3rd  total yards per game, passing yards per game, sacks, and 4th in scoring with 18.1 ppg and rushing. Its not how I rank them the 2rd best defense in the league, its how the NFL does. Stats dont lie.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 19, 2009, 10:51 AM »
The Eagles defense is a question mark this year with the unfortunate passing of Jim Johnson.  They may very well be solid again, but no one can say with any real certainty what's going to happen with that group.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:52 AM by Rob »