Author Topic: NFL Regular Season 2009  (Read 100142 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Regular Season 2009
« Reply #405 on: October 13, 2009, 10:01 AM »
Last nights game was really fun to watch (not having an interest in the outcome) Lead changes, exciting runs and trick plays.  And Ricky Williams looked pretty good for a 5 time league substance abuse violator.

Something I heard on the Local Sportsradio station yesterday (KTCK "The Ticket")...

Babe Laufenberg (former player/current sportscaster) called in randomly and brought up this little known rule, has anybody EVER heard this one?

Last week against the Broncos after the Broncos punted and slapped it back out of the endzone, one of the Cowboys picked it up and ran.  So, the radio announcers were ripping the player on a "mental lapse" because if he had fumbled the attempt AFTER the punting team had touched it, then it would have been Bronco ball.  Babe said that the rule is actually that AFTER  a team downs the ball, no matter what the receiving team does (even fumble no matter how long they have had possession) if the receiving team fields it and loses possesion, the ball would would only be placed where it was downed and be 1st Down receiving team.  Has anybody ever heard of this "little known" rule?  The point was moot because the ball actually went into the endzone for a touchback, but is it really a "zero risk" play?    Not that I have cause to question a former player and all around nice guy like Laufenberg, but still, seems like a wierd rule.

For clarification here is a hypothetical in a more linear format:

Team Punts
Punting Team swats the ball (to keep it out of the end zone in most cases I assume)
Return guy grabs the swatted ball and runs to the 50
He is stripped at the 50 and the ball is recovered by the Punting Team.

At this point the rule states that the ball would be placed at the spot it was "downed" by the punting team and possesion goes to the receiving team as if the return and fumble never happened.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 13, 2009, 12:07 PM »
I'm not sure I'm following your explanation of where the ball is initially downed.  Say the punting team successfully hits the ball back out of the endzone and it lands at the 2 yard line.  The receiving team player then picks it up and runs to the 50, then fumbles and the punting team recovers at the 50.

I'm shocked that the punting team would not get to keep possession at that point.  If that's true, does the ball go back to the 2 yard line where the receiving player picked it up?  Or since it was blocked from the endzone, is it a touchback that goes back to the 20?  The ball is never officially "downed" anywhere in your example, is it?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 13, 2009, 07:22 PM »
I'm not sure I'm following your explanation of where the ball is initially downed.  Say the punting team successfully hits the ball back out of the endzone and it lands at the 2 yard line.  The receiving team player then picks it up and runs to the 50, then fumbles and the punting team recovers at the 50.

I'm shocked that the punting team would not get to keep possession at that point.  If that's true, does the ball go back to the 2 yard line where the receiving player picked it up?  Or since it was blocked from the endzone, is it a touchback that goes back to the 20?  The ball is never officially "downed" anywhere in your example, is it?

The ball is swatted at/to the 2 I guess, in the hypothetical.

If it is "Downed" then it is dead was my assumption.  I don't have my desktop NFL rules book handy.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #408 on: October 18, 2009, 05:22 PM »
WOW! The Vikes just squeaked by on that one.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 18, 2009, 10:46 PM »

Packers too - man, that was close!   ;)
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 19, 2009, 01:50 AM »

Packers too - man, that was close!   ;)

Of course, the Packers were playing the Lions, and the Vikings were playing a real NFL team.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #411 on: October 19, 2009, 02:21 AM »
Ravens are a very solid team defensively and they've matured offensively...  I liked watching the end of that MN game...  Of course I'm not rooting for them next week though, sorry. :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 19, 2009, 07:56 AM »
I missed 100% of the football action this weekend, but it was nice to see that the Cowboys were the only team in the NFC East that did not lose this weekend.

Yes I know they did not play, but sadly I am now to the point of celebrating the small victories.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 19, 2009, 08:03 AM »
How have the Titans managed to fall this far so fast? I came home from going from a bike ride with my wife and turned on the Pats game to see the score and almost wet myself when I saw it was 45 - 0 at half time.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 19, 2009, 11:35 AM »
I missed 100% of the football action this weekend, but it was nice to see that the Cowboys were the only team in the NFC East that did not lose this weekend.

Yes I know they did not play, but sadly I am now to the point of celebrating the small victories.

It could be worse, you could be a Bucs fan.

0-6 and off to England to play the team that just beat the Titans 59-0

I want Gruden back.  :'(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #415 on: October 19, 2009, 06:00 PM »
No clue on the Titans.  They're still not a horrible team but did have a horrible performance yesterday. 

The Steelers aren't doing great either...  They're not the same as last year.  There's a lot of injuries that can be pinpointed for the blame there I guess.  Call it a hangover, I don't know.  The Titans really are in the toilet it seems though, but most of their games they've been competitive, no?  Not yesterday, but still.

2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 19, 2009, 10:26 PM »
I want to know what happened to Philly against Oakland.  What the heck was that?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #417 on: October 19, 2009, 10:33 PM »
Re: Titans

I think kerry Collins was a huge mirage last year (sort of like Cunningham on the 1999 Vikings)
They lost the heart and soul of their D in Albert Haynesworth
The rushing game changed Chris Johnson and LenDale White last year...not happening this year

That is a start.  They really need to start Vince Young the rest of the way out to see if he really is the future or not

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #418 on: October 20, 2009, 01:37 AM »
The Broncos had a great game tonight.  After beating the Cowboys, Patriots and the Chargers they've shown that they are the real deal!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 20, 2009, 01:40 AM »
The Broncos had a great game tonight.  After beating the Cowboys, Patriots and the Chargers they've shown that they are the real deal!

Amen - that was another solid Monday night game.  Too bad they didn't get Marshall more involved.  A win is a win, but tonight's effort was really driven by the special teams performance.  They won't be able to rely on 2 E. Royal kick returns for TDs every week.   ;)